20psi max boost normal for 06 6.0? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2006, 06:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
20psi max boost normal for 06 6.0?

Its odd to me that the gauge shows 35psi before the red zone starts to 40psi on the stock cluster... why does it only go to 20psi? I know guys say you cant run with a tuner more than 28psi without problems occuring with the heads etc... My buddy has an 05 dodge cummins and "thinks" his was 30psi stock and runs 35psi with an edge kit. Is this normal? I like the truck otherwise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2006, 06:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirfreak98ss View Post
Its odd to me that the gauge shows 35psi before the red zone starts to 40psi on the stock cluster... why does it only go to 20psi? I know guys say you cant run with a tuner more than 28psi without problems occuring with the heads etc... My buddy has an 05 dodge cummins and "thinks" his was 30psi stock and runs 35psi with an edge kit. Is this normal? I like the truck otherwise
your gonna have trouble pushing your boost past 20psi in stock trim unless your pulling a pretty sizable load up a hill.....thats just the nature of the way a VGT turbo works to provide what boost is needed.....

As far as your buddies cummins, you would have to ask Adam....hes the only one around here that was foolish enough to buy a dodge
Old 10-12-2006, 09:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
your gonna have trouble pushing your boost past 20psi in stock trim unless your pulling a pretty sizable load up a hill.....thats just the nature of the way a VGT turbo works to provide what boost is needed.....

As far as your buddies cummins, you would have to ask Adam....hes the only one around here that was foolish enough to buy a dodge
Hey Marc is the 06 and my 04 the same Turbo system? As in the VGT stuff? Because my truck makes 28-30 completely stock.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:48 PM

my truck boosts almost 30 lbs STOCK and 20 lbs with the street tune
Old 10-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Banned

you have to drive it pretty dang hard to get it that high though, your average guy wont see much if any over 20
Old 10-12-2006, 08:20 PM

WOT 30lbs stock

wot 20lbs with SCT tunes
Old 10-13-2006, 03:16 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Shoot my water/meth kit doesn't BEGIN injecting until 20psi. I don't recall how mine used to react stock but a lot of us on here are pushing some serious psi - WAY over 28.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:45 AM
Banned

When I first got mine, the boost gauge would show as much a 26-28 psi. In the last few days the temperature has started to drop (as low as 30 degrees) and it doesn't seem to make as much boost. I don't really trust the Ford gauge, but she only makes 22-24 psi right now. Of course this is all without a load.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

25psi

My 06 F350 has 3500 miles on her and just keeps getting better and better in terms of performance. I have only gotten on it a couple of times with WOT runs but have seen 25 - 26 psi on the boost gauge.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the info guys, i just pulled my loaded 24' enclosed trailer the other day 160 miles round trip and yeah, flooring it in 2nd or 3rd gears i would start to work towards closer to 30psi on the stock gauge... dont feel so off now.

When you guys talk about tunes or modified aftermarket tunes that only run 20psi, how do you add power and reduce the pressure off the turbo? I assumed say if im at 25-28psi stock pulling a load, that a tuned truck like with an edge/bullydog/sct tuner is seeing plenty more than that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.