Is there anyway to tell if a 6.0L PS is OK? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is there anyway to tell if a 6.0L PS is OK?

Hello, I am newly Registered, but have been reading posts for quite some time. Here is my situation, I bought a 2003 F350 with a 7.3L PS in October '07 with about 80,000 miles. It is currently in the shop for the eighth time, yes 8th, with an oil leak. On the 7th visit, they took the engine completely out and replaced every seal and gasket on it, along with high pressure oil lines and the high pressure pump. I got it back and now 4,000 miles later oil is dripping off the back of the engine again. It has honestly been in the shop for 3 of the six months that I have owned it (it is at ford dealer).

The dealer has given me a 2003 F250 with a 6.0L PS to drive as a loner. It is a nice truck with 67,000 miles on it. I wouldn't mind trading for this truck, but the only problem is I am scared to death of the 6.0L PS and all the bad press they have had. I specifically found a 7.3 because I have always heard they are bullet proof.

Is there anyway to tell if a 6.0L is a good engine, or if it is going to give me all sorts of problems?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You can get an Oasis report on it and that will tell you what if any warrenty work has been done. I have a 04 that I bought brand new and it has never been in the shop. I think alot of that negitive press was undeserved.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Streak
An OASIS report ought to indicate whether the injectors have been replaced with newer spec ones. It also ought to indicate whether the headgaskets, egr coolers etc have been replaced already.

You should be able to tell if there are any issues with the EGR cooler or headgaskets by loading up a trailer and pulling it up a hill at wide open throttle (a condition that would usually cause puking)

Look up a guide for programmer installations and see if anyone wired one in (traces on the wires). If they did, that's not ideal.

While I'm not sure, it seems like a compression test would indicate headgasket integrity. That said, you'd need a specialized gauge for a diesel since cylinder pressures are so much higher
Old 04-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Banned

Send out an oil sample.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:38 PM

If you are looking at used 6.0's here are a few considerations (along w/ the OASIS and CARFAX reports that are essential):

Some 6.0L weak points (things to check):

Look for signs of coolant degas bottle overflow (dry white residue on and around the degas bottle or no level in degas bottle).

Ball joints go out at 40k-70k miles.

Lots of idling can cause EGR problems. I look at the hours on the engine (if it has this monitored) and divide the miles by the hours (is it below 30? If so, may have had lots of idling).

EGR valves seem to plug quickly - maybe negotiate a new EGR valve.

Look for oil leaks - some trucks have had a lot of them

Try to find out about the routine maintenance:

Filter change intervals on time? What kind of oil (CI4+ or CJ4 - one of these is required)?

OEM filters? Look at them and see what kind they are. Aftermarket filters can cause MAJOR problems.

Find proof of Transmission being flushed - it is recommended every 30,00 miles.

Any exhaust problems visible (ie lots of white or blue smoke)? White smoke may mean an EGR cooler leak.

Check for any FLUID leaks (SPECIFICALLY OIL LEAKS - 6.0L are prone to many of these from many possible places!!)

CEL light on? Consider getting a code reader and check for DTC's.

If you can pull the EGR valve, I would do so and check for wetness or excess soot. Wetness indicates an EGR cooler leak.

The Electronic Shift on the Fly ESOF sometimes fails due to vacuum leaks. Be sure to check this out (several times in and out of 4WD).

Check for excessive wheel bearing wear (looseness) or ball joint looseness.

Check the coolant - it should have the Motorcraft Gold Coolant - anything else and there may be problems. Look in the "degas" bottle and inspect the fluid - it should be gold colored and there should be NO OIL visible.

Any evidence of a tuner (aftermarket air filter, gauges,etc). Tuners may or may not be bad. Some tuners are MURDER on the transmission. Some dealerships will cause you a lot of problems w/ them - even if you bought it that way used.

Aftermarket air systems could be a problem. Many of them do not filter well and could cause issues. Up to 500 hp, the stock air system is best!

Try to find out if the original owner ever ran it empty on fuel or have plugged filters?

Then the common stuff I'm sure you know:

Look at and smell the fluids. Make sure fluids not burnt, not too thick or dirty.
Drive it - surges? Stutters? Rattles or clunks? Good acceleration? sluggishness?
Check the tires - should have over half the life left at this mileage - abnormal wear?
How do the brakes look? Any pads need replacement? Are the rear brakes excessively worn?
All electronics working? Especially the AC?
Dents? Air bag been replaced, etc.
See if he has any repair or maintenance records.
Take off the price for windshield dings, paint chipped, torn upholstry, etc.
Does the truck look too clean? Does it look like the oil was just changed? May be hiding something.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
If you are looking at used 6.0's here are a few considerations (along w/ the OASIS and CARFAX reports that are essential):

Some 6.0L weak points (things to check):

Look for signs of coolant degas bottle overflow (dry white residue on and around the degas bottle or no level in degas bottle).

Ball joints go out at 40k-70k miles.

Lots of idling can cause EGR problems. I look at the hours on the engine (if it has this monitored) and divide the miles by the hours (is it below 30? If so, may have had lots of idling).

EGR valves seem to plug quickly - maybe negotiate a new EGR valve.

Look for oil leaks - some trucks have had a lot of them

Try to find out about the routine maintenance:

info is great!Filter change intervals on time? What kind of oil (CI4+ or CJ4 - one of these is required)?

OEM filters? Look at them and see what kind they are. Aftermarket filters can cause MAJOR problems.

Find proof of Transmission being flushed - it is recommended every 30,00 miles.

Any exhaust problems visible (ie lots of white or blue smoke)? White smoke may mean an EGR cooler leak.

Check for any FLUID leaks (SPECIFICALLY OIL LEAKS - 6.0L are prone to many of these from many possible places!!)

CEL light on? Consider getting a code reader and check for DTC's.

If you can pull the EGR valve, I would do so and check for wetness or excess soot. Wetness indicates an EGR cooler leak.

The Electronic Shift on the Fly ESOF sometimes fails due to vacuum leaks. Be sure to check this out (several times in and out of 4WD).

Check for excessive wheel bearing wear (looseness) or ball joint looseness.

Check the coolant - it should have the Motorcraft Gold Coolant - anything else and there may be problems. Look in the "degas" bottle and inspect the fluid - it should be gold colored and there should be NO OIL visible.

Any evidence of a tuner (aftermarket air filter, gauges,etc). Tuners may or may not be bad. Some tuners are MURDER on the transmission. Some dealerships will cause you a lot of problems w/ them - even if you bought it that way used.

Aftermarket air systems could be a problem. Many of them do not filter well and could cause issues. Up to 500 hp, the stock air system is best!

Try to find out if the original owner ever ran it empty on fuel or have plugged filters?

Then the common stuff I'm sure you know:

Look at and smell the fluids. Make sure fluids not burnt, not too thick or dirty.
Drive it - surges? Stutters? Rattles or clunks? Good acceleration? sluggishness?
Check the tires - should have over half the life left at this mileage - abnormal wear?
How do the brakes look? Any pads need replacement? Are the rear brakes excessively worn?
All electronics working? Especially the AC?
Dents? Air bag been replaced, etc.
See if he has any repair or maintenance records.
Take off the price for windshield dings, paint chipped, torn upholstry, etc.
Does the truck look too clean? Does it look like the oil was just changed? May be hiding something.
Thanks for all the help! It is great!
Old 04-27-2008, 05:41 PM

I owned a 99 7.3L for a long time and got rid of it about a year ago. In December I finished up a 06 F250 FX4 CC with the 6.0L. I had planned on selling it and making some $$ because I was like you, very very scared of the 6.0L. BUT after driving this truck I am a complete advocate of them! If you treat it right, it will take care of you. From what I understand the problems arise mainly from dumb @$$'s running their trucks to hard on programmers. I have had plenty of people tell me just to set mine on a lower setting and take it easy. Since December I have put about 20-25K on my truck, absolutely NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. I would take it any day over my 7.3L. It's less noisy, shifts easier and just a great all around truck.

So I guess take what you read with a grain of salt, do the necesary research, aka carfax, oasis etc and make sure the truck has been properly cared for. If so, chances are you'll have a great truck! Good luck with it.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbkr03 View Post
I owned a 99 7.3L for a long time and got rid of it about a year ago. In December I finished up a 06 F250 FX4 CC with the 6.0L. I had planned on selling it and making some $$ because I was like you, very very scared of the 6.0L. BUT after driving this truck I am a complete advocate of them! If you treat it right, it will take care of you. From what I understand the problems arise mainly from dumb @$$'s running their trucks to hard on programmers. I have had plenty of people tell me just to set mine on a lower setting and take it easy. Since December I have put about 20-25K on my truck, absolutely NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. I would take it any day over my 7.3L. It's less noisy, shifts easier and just a great all around truck.

So I guess take what you read with a grain of salt, do the necesary research, aka carfax, oasis etc and make sure the truck has been properly cared for. If so, chances are you'll have a great truck! Good luck with it.
Thanks for the advice, the first thing I noticed is that is is quite compared to the 7.3L. I did check the Oasis report and it has not had any mechanical work done to it. Just the warranty reporgraming and some door ajar lights fixed.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 04-28-2008, 05:19 AM

Sounds pretty good for a 03!

I am one of those dumb@$$'s running around with my programmer up too high and haven't had any problems!
Old 04-28-2008, 05:42 AM

Bigred, Trekbkr03 is partially right. Most of the problems were and are caused by dumba$$'s that should not own a diesel. Even with a programer it still takes someone turning on the key and using their right foot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.