Yikes!! Should I stay or should I go. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yikes!! Should I stay or should I go.

Hello,

I posted on The Diesel Stop too ...hope it's not in bad form to post at both sites.

I recently found this forum and suddenly am scared sh!tless that I may have struck a deal on a truck that I shouldn't buy!

a bit of an introduction:

...I am without a SUV or truck for a couple years now and it's now driving me crazy. I set out looking for a decent crew cab that could pull anything I wanted but would pretty much be limited to the pulling the track car on it's trailer, the ski boat and occasionally some random stuff. I would also use it for road trips with the family etc but it is just an extra vehicle for the most part.

I found a Fine Looking '05 King Ranch Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4 diesel. It's sharp as hell looking and is 1000 miles short of 100K ...so the warranty is about to be done. I figured that this would fit the bill and it was available for 20K through a friend's leasing company - bingo! or so I thought. After reading this site I'm not sure even at 20K it's a good deal????

At 84K it had new heads, water pump, EGR and oil coolers replaced. This was done b/c the water pump was found to be leaking after the cooling system was pressure tested.

It's had a handful of other things done too it as well like the replacing the high pressure oil pump some injectors etc.

The dealer I took it to for the buyers inspection told me that by the time they replace the heads these trucks usually don't com back... This was after I expressed concern over what I've read about the 6.0 diesel.

I planned on buying this thing so I wouldn't be left wanting for more truck. I figured a 4x4 diesel coudl do anything I wanted it to.

Should I bail on this thing and buy a Dodge or Chevy or maybe just a gas engine... I'm don't mind wrenching once in a while but don't want another high maintenance object in my life

so, to quote The Clash; "Should I stay or should I go?"

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i had an 05 cc. with 36000 on it when i got rid of it. they gave me 25000 on trade. granted it wasn't a KR but i think you can get a lot less miles for just a bit more $.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz View Post
Hello,

I posted on The Diesel Stop too ...hope it's not in bad form to post at both sites.

I recently found this forum and suddenly am scared sh!tless that I may have struck a deal on a truck that I shouldn't buy!

a bit of an introduction:

...I am without a SUV or truck for a couple years now and it's now driving me crazy. I set out looking for a decent crew cab that could pull anything I wanted but would pretty much be limited to the pulling the track car on it's trailer, the ski boat and occasionally some random stuff. I would also use it for road trips with the family etc but it is just an extra vehicle for the most part.

I found a Fine Looking '05 King Ranch Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4 diesel. It's sharp as hell looking and is 1000 miles short of 100K ...so the warranty is about to be done. I figured that this would fit the bill and it was available for 20K through a friend's leasing company - bingo! or so I thought. After reading this site I'm not sure even at 20K it's a good deal????

At 84K it had new heads, water pump, EGR and oil coolers replaced. This was done b/c the water pump was found to be leaking after the cooling system was pressure tested.

It's had a handful of other things done too it as well like the replacing the high pressure oil pump some injectors etc.

The dealer I took it to for the buyers inspection told me that by the time they replace the heads these trucks usually don't com back... This was after I expressed concern over what I've read about the 6.0 diesel.

I planned on buying this thing so I wouldn't be left wanting for more truck. I figured a 4x4 diesel coudl do anything I wanted it to.

Should I bail on this thing and buy a Dodge or Chevy or maybe just a gas engine... I'm don't mind wrenching once in a while but don't want another high maintenance object in my life

so, to quote The Clash; "Should I stay or should I go?"

Thanks
That's about the only song by them that I like lol!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:32 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did the truck have a tuner on it before?
Old 04-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!PainTrain!!! View Post
Did the truck have a tuner on it before?
The Dealer didn't say that they didn't have a way to tell if it ever had one.

Is it possible to know if it doesn't have one now?

By tuner, you mean chip or some other way to modify the ECU, Right?
Old 04-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Rebel

I have a 04 Crew cab FX4 Lariat for sale. Cheaper than that if interested. And it has new head gaskets,egr, and injectors and all gaskets with 205k on it.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:45 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes some kind of PCM/ECU tuning device.

That just seems like an awful large amount of warranty work for an 05 6.0 IMO. Sounds like someone had the truck chipped and had some more power run through it, busted a bunch of parts, and now wants to dump it before the warranty runs out and they have to pay for repairs on their own dime IMO.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstrokin03 View Post
I have a 04 Crew cab FX4 Lariat for sale. Cheaper than that if interested. And it has new head gaskets,egr, and injectors and all gaskets with 205k on it.

How much for just that bumper? Pleaseyplease?
Old 04-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

[QUOTE=Powerstrokin03;560484]I have a 04 Crew cab FX4 Lariat for sale. Cheaper than that if interested. And it has new head gaskets,egr, and injectors and all gaskets with 205k on it.

Nice looking truck but I think if I bail out on this one, I'll be buying something with fewer miles or a better reputation... It's too bad because the truck is really sharp and very comfortable.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

...so any reason to believe the service writer when he said "once the have the heads replaced they usually don't come back." - or should I plan on spending some money on regular repairs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.