How To: tranny flush? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 02:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How To: tranny flush?

I want to throw some new merconsp in my tranny and this was the only "How to:" I could find. For those of you in the know, is this all necessary? Please don't chime in with "don't change the oil your clutches will slip" or things like that. Just wanting to know if I should follow this how to that I found and if there are any other tips or clues you guys can offer me. I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2008, 02:18 AM
COLLEGE KID

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to lifewitlooie
Dunnow. BUMP
Old 04-23-2008, 03:14 AM

I just changed the external trans filter yesterday, I wanted to replace the mercon sp but also wasn't sure the best way to do that (anyone?), should I pay to have it flushed or save some $$ and pull the plug in the bottom of the pan. either way look at my trans filter, I think it was time.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:33 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to 67ModStang Send a message via Yahoo to 67ModStang
From what I've heard elsewhere, you cant get all the fluid out by just pulling the plug on the tranny because there is some kind of thermostat in there blocking it so it has to be hot flushed with the machine at the dealer. There also isnt a plug on the TC. I've seen where somebody drained and filled then drove around and then drained and filled again so as to change as much out as they could. Maybe a tech could come and confirm this?

Unless I'm wrong, I would just have it flushed at the dealer. But then again I did get screwed by the previous owner of mine cuz he never serviced it and the tranny went out at 45k. Ford refused to help because there wasnt any record of it ever being serviced. So I had to foot the bill on a truck I only owned for 7k miles

.....sorry if I rambled on too long....there I go again
Old 04-23-2008, 06:55 AM

just put you a new filter and pull the plug or the pan and re fill it with new that is all you have to do you do not need 100% change this will get most of the bad out and the filter will take over anything else.if you stay up on the changes like this it will never get bad enough to have to even worry.mine looks like i just poured it in.just dont wait for it to get dirty or burnt about every 20000 miles is the best time.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:59 AM

from trannie shops around home they say flushing them is a bad idea because it will push foreign material in the balls and stuff makeing the trannie malfunction personally i usually just pull the plug and drain out what will come out i dont know that i have an external filter but if i do i dont know about it but i will look and if i do i would change that
Old 04-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just as a point of interest, had my trani flushed, next day it wouldn't start had to jump it ie to the solenoid. Shifts lousy. Took it back to the dealer thinks its the TCU. Any comments on this happening??
Old 04-23-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldieStroker944 View Post
from trannie shops around home they say flushing them is a bad idea because it will push foreign material in the balls and stuff makeing the trannie malfunction personally i usually just pull the plug and drain out what will come out i dont know that i have an external filter but if i do i dont know about it but i will look and if i do i would change that
Dude, I specifically asked not to post this kind of stuff in the thread. lol This is why: I PMed back and forth with a former Ford transmission engineer over on tds, the garage and fte and he recommends replacing the fluid and the filter. He gave me reasons why but I don't remember what the reasons why were because I knew I should just listen to what the guy says to do. So what random tranny shops have to say doesn't matter to me. thanks though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselperfume View Post
Just as a point of interest, had my trani flushed, next day it wouldn't start had to jump it ie to the solenoid. Shifts lousy. Took it back to the dealer thinks its the TCU. Any comments on this happening??
start a new thread in this forum please. and welcome to the org man.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-trannie-problems/
Old 04-23-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03strokerpower View Post
I just changed the external trans filter yesterday, I wanted to replace the mercon sp but also wasn't sure the best way to do that (anyone?), should I pay to have it flushed or save some $$ and pull the plug in the bottom of the pan. either way look at my trans filter, I think it was time.
Did you use an impact gun or were you able to do it with a breaker bar???
Old 04-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by darsey715 View Post
Did you use an impact gun or were you able to do it with a breaker bar???
I only use a breaker bar when I do mine. You may need to tap around the edges in order to break it free. As far as changing all of your fluid (including TC and pressure lines), you would need a shop to do that or there are DIY instructions floating around. I'll see if I can't dig you up a link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.