130,000 mile service $800??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 11:24 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
130,000 mile service $800???

I am new here, but used forums a lot when i had a previous car (dodge magnum and lxforums.com). I found that the info in forums is more often then not better than what the dealer tells you, and I'm hoping that holds true in this case too. I bought my Excursion a week and a day ago, and couldn't be happier. I called my local stealership to schedule a 130,000 service, because i don't even know when the last oil change was. I told the rep I want the fluids and and filters changed and that the fuel water collection unit (dont know the name) is full and needs to be emptied (I have learned from you all already). I asked what the price was, and he said a little under $800. I know that diesels are more expensive during services and that prevention is the best medicine and all the other stuff, but is that right? $800? that seems like quite a bit. I'm no ASE certified mechanic, but I've changed a lot of oil in my 29 years and that seems steep. If i can do it on my own, I will, it cant be that hard . . . or is it? What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstevens805 View Post
I am new here, but used forums a lot when i had a previous car (dodge magnum and lxforums.com). I found that the info in forums is more often then not better than what the dealer tells you, and I'm hoping that holds true in this case too. I bought my Excursion a week and a day ago, and couldn't be happier. I called my local stealership to schedule a 130,000 service, because i don't even know when the last oil change was. I told the rep I want the fluids and and filters changed and that the fuel water collection unit (dont know the name) is full and needs to be emptied (I have learned from you all already). I asked what the price was, and he said a little under $800. I know that diesels are more expensive during services and that prevention is the best medicine and all the other stuff, but is that right? $800? that seems like quite a bit. I'm no ASE certified mechanic, but I've changed a lot of oil in my 29 years and that seems steep. If i can do it on my own, I will, it cant be that hard . . . or is it? What do you guys think?
Well, for starters, is that all synthetic lube? If so, the price is probably right. Your oil pan is anywhere from 14 to 16 quarts depending on the year and the motor. The new synth stuff is somewhere around $40/gal. The trans is roughly the same capacity, and I'm not sure on the price of synth ATF, but I know it's not cheap. The axles are somewhere around 5-6 quarts a piece, and synth 90 weight is most definitely not cheap. Also, bear in mind that these are dealer quotes, so what would normally take you 20-30 minutes to do, the dealer will most likely quote as an hour job. Flat rate nowadays is in the 80-90 dollar range, so a three hour once over already has you at almost $300 in labor alone. Plus, that trans doesn't have an external filter, and any time that the dealer has to drop the pan on something, the price goes up. If it were me, and depending on what you want done, I would look hard and heavy at spending a quality Saturday with my rig. Not to mention what you'll learn of your new acquisition by working on it yourself as opposed to someone else doing the work. Hope this helps, but it's just my two cents.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, its an 03 excursion with the 6.0. I dont believe that was for synthetic lube, I assumed it was for the 'natural' stuff. I would like to do it on my own obviously to save money, but it would teach me a lot and i get to spend more time with it. My wife is already tired of hearing about what I learned from you guys haha. Is there a guide here for changing the fluids and filters? Oil and fuel filter I'm good at, but the other stuff is greek.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:42 PM

The best advice I can give to any one regarding their new vehicle, is buy the manual. Personally, the Haynes and Chilton's manuals are good, but I highly recommend buying the dealer books. They are more comprehensive and more specific, and as such more informative. As far as this site is concerned, I don't know of any specific threads, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Just search within the site, and you're bound to find what you are looking for.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Streak
Call a bunch of dealerships and compare prices to see if that one is trying some funny business. I just spend a huge amount of money on the 105k service for my Accord (Timing belt, water pump and associated pulleys and belts + labor), so it's not surprising that a truck would cost you a lot to do.

I don't know much about the excursions, but doing stuff like emptying the water trap, changing filters and oil is not a big deal, and you don't have to worry about voiding a water.

I'll second the Chilton/Haynes manual idea
Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

$800 is what the dodge dealership wanted for my 30K service.. so that figger dose not sound out of the ordinary coming from a dealership
Old 04-22-2008, 05:43 PM

Do it yourself
The oil change will be 17.00 gallon for rottela syn or 9.oo gallon for 15w-40
Oil filter Fram 15.00 at wall mart.
Trans drop the pan the gasket is reuseable clean pan dont bother with the filter in the pan.Change the External filter 21.00 at the dealer get 9 qts trans fluid Mercon SP if its a 5 speed auto.
Fuel filters are way cheaper at international dealer or advanced auto parts around 45.00
front and rear differentals take 3-3.5 QTS each.Run syn will last longer.
transfer case is 2 QTS ATF.
Air filter is cheaper online than dealer.
Oil change 4 gallons=16Qts you need 14 15w-40 36.00
Oil filter= 15.00
trans filter 21.00
trans fluid=6.00 QT 6x8= 48.00
ROYAL PURPLE ATF 9.00 qtx2= 18.00
Royal purple 80w-90 10.00 10.00x7= 70.00
Fuel Filters 45.00
Air Filter 60.00
Total 268.00
Old 04-22-2008, 06:43 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you can do it all on your own. I would recommend schaeffer's 7000 or 9000 for oil. I've found 9000 for a great price. If interested shoot me a PM. I agree with Bob's theory up above me but you can find fuel filter for cheaper.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:18 AM

Thanks for the info fellas, I'm going to see if I can get a buddy to help tackle it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.