Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Highest mile 6.0... Anyone know?

42K views 141 replies 66 participants last post by  El Gallo 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Many different post on this topic, on this site and others, however I can't seem to find the answer. I understand we will not ever get a true answer, however I am attempting to document the highest 'confirmed' mileage Ford 6.0. The highest, somewhat confirmed, 6.0 I have found is a thread claiming over 650k miles on a 2006 F350, 2wd (he later posted a pic of odometer, 2nd page I think)

So, for now this is the highest known mileage 6.0 I can find. Anyone know of one with higher mileage?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
:dunno:...i do know that mine is nowhere close...just turned 80k.

Reactions: john galt
#6 ·
saw in a post recently that someone had over 1m on one but I believe the engine had been swapped at some point. Not sure which post and there was some debate over whether that mileage would even be possible based on the year of the vehicle...probably just a ghost story, but maybe someone else will remember which thread that was.

#7 ·
Yeah, I've read a couple of post where people mention over 1 million miles on a 6.0, however people are either speaking of 2nd or 3rd hand information, and no proof (any proof would subjective). No single person (first person viewpoint) has claimed one million miles that I am aware of.

Reactions: lenzhotrod
#9 ·
I did see one for sale in va I posted it up with I think 320k on it

#10 ·
#11 ·
I posted a thread a little while ago about a truck I saw and took a pic of the odometer... 657,311

#12 ·
#13 ·
No that's not the thread... My thread is different... Im not apart of diesel garage

#14 ·
Ill bet that truck in the diesel garage has almost 850k now being that the thread was 2011

#17 ·
Thanks for the link, a nice read. Seeing this, and feedback from others so far, it's nice to see so many high mile 6.0's. keep them coming!

#19 ·
I have over 300,000 miles on my 2004 Excursion. For the past 200K miles, I have used it to pull my 28' enclosed car hauler trailer, loaded with cars and motorcycles that I haul and deliver for my customers all around the lower 48 states, as well as a trip up to Alaska and back each summer. I love my Excursion, the the 6.0L Powerstroke engine, and the TorqShift transmission! Needless to say, I'm high on maintenance. :icon_ford:

Attachments

#20 ·
Glad to hear it! I have 171k on my Ex. Gives me much hope. And good to know the longevity under a load, towing as you have. Are you studded? EGR? Tuned? Any major issues?

#21 ·
I lost the stock EGR cooler at about 140K, so at that time, I installed the Bullet Proof EGR and oil coolers. About that time, I also installed the Bully Dog Triple Dog Gauge (GT) Tuner, which I love! I have not had the EGR plugged in since then either. Along the way, I have had to replace three fuel injectors at different times, but other that that, the Excursion has served me very well. I love the truck for the long hauls I do with it, and the 6.0L makes for an awesome puller. The 8 ft. long sleeper behind the front seats makes the truck just perfect for me, and I keep my bed back there all year long. :zzz:

#23 ·
Yes, I do idle the engine to stay warm and/or cool while I'm in my "sleeper" during the long hauls I make throughout the year, and I actually do all my sleeping in the Excursion while on the road. I shower at truck stops, just like the guys in the big rigs, who I am often parked between at the truck stops at night. With the EGR valve closed and electrically disconnected, the EGR system is essentially bypassed, yet I do still have the EGR valve & cooler installed. I just don't use them. Like with the big rigs, I have a DOT number, commercial & cargo insurance, and I keep a log book running as well. I jokingly call myself a big mother trucker. :hehe:

#24 ·
Man, that's great. A good way to see the country. So your rig runs 24 hours a day sometimes? Wow! I've read here where many people say not to allow the 6.0 to idle even 5 or 10 mins! But I've never bought into that logic. Do you use or have a high idle kit installed? Wet stacking ever a concern?

#25 ·
Yep, I sure do see a lot of the country, along with Alberta, BC, the Yukon, and Alaska. My 6.0L engine does often run pretty much around the clock, and no, I do not have the high idle kit installed.

Concerning wet stacking, its my understanding that it isn't much of an issue in a direct injection engine, due to the better atomization of the fuel, as long as the EGR system is not being used. I do understand that long idle times on a 6.0L can be deadly on the EGR system, so a couple years ago during one cold winter morning here in Idaho, about 200K miles ago, when my truck was very much cold soaked and all covered in snow, with the EGR valve very closed, I disconnected the electric plug from it, and it has not been open since. :*******:

#26 ·
Man, you should start your own blog or thread about your ventures (if you don't have one already). I am sure folks would subscribe... Very interesting stuff. And excellent to know your 6.0 is out there running sometimes 24/7, towing with over 300k! And relatively trouble free.

Reactions: SAILOR97
#34 ·
Yes, I know about the back seat sleeper thing. Prior to purchasing my Excursion, I had a 4-door F-250 with the 7.3L that I made my runs around the country with. I have since retired that truck for my dad to use here as his farm truck. I don't have sat TV, but I do have a big Samsung tablet that I use to watch Netflix on, so I have that going for me. :)

#28 ·
I idle my truck all day long. Hot weather or cold. Never had an issue other than a little puff of smoke when leaving a job site. I have over 8000 hours on my 04. Many of which are idling hours. I run a compressor/ hydraulic/generator system on my truck, hence my reason for idling. I have never head any wet stacking issues either. During a trip up to northern New York state, I left the truck idling for over 2 days straight. We lost power at the cabin and the truck served as our power source. There was a rattle in the words, but we had heat and light. Now that's ruffing it!:hehe::hehe::hehe:

#29 ·
Bearup is living the life that I would love to live. I have looked into so many ways to use my Super Duty to make money and see the country. It seems the Mid Atlantic is the wrong area to be in to do it though. Funny thing is I do have a Class A but I have always wanted to work from my pickup.

To the OP I know one farmer who has almost 400k on his and the truck is completely stock to. It seems with these 6.0's you either get a great one or a lemon...

#35 · (Edited)
Bearup is living the life that I would love to live. I have looked into so many ways to use my Super Duty to make money and see the country. It seems the Mid Atlantic is the wrong area to be in to do it though. Funny thing is I do have a Class A but I have always wanted to work from my pickup.
I actually book most of the vehicles that I haul using Central Dispatch (dot com), which is a $75/mo subscription service used by auto shipping brokers and haulers like me all around the country. I simply look for outgoing vehicles to to haul from near where I live (southern Idaho & northern Utah), and then link the hauls up with vehicles departing the destination location, which is coming back towards my home, or where ever I want to head to next.

While I was out in DE, NJ, NY, and CT a few months ago while delivering out that way (originating from Salt Lake), I found all kinds of vehicles that were needing moved. From central CT, near where made a couple deliveries, I loaded a really nice classic Corvette, and a couple nice road bikes that I hauled out to Dallas, TX. From there, I booked another car and a couple bikes that got me all the way back home. I do all my hauling using a 28' enclosed car hauler trailer, because I already had it, and because enclosed transport pays much better, typically ranging $1-$2/mile. I also use Uship to book some of the vehicles that I haul.
JUST KITPLANES - American Falls, Idaho | Get Quotes for Transport

#30 ·
The guy who I blame for getting me into a 6.0 had 1,253,375 on his 2003 F350 6.0 when he finally let it go. Until then I had been a hardcore 7.3 guy, then he came to my shop and I started doing his service work.....an oil change every week (between 3-8k on the clock), fuel filters almost every other week, trans flushes/transfer case service (once a month), coolant flushes (once every 3 months), and front and rear diff services (every 6 months, always with synthetic)..... He does kinda what Bearup does. He hauls RV/5th wheel trailers from the factories to the dealerships. 6 runs a week from La Grande, OR to various places around BC, Canada, as well as the occasional trip to Montana/somewhere else in the states. He ran a Superchips flashpaq on one of the tow tunes (depending on the weight he was hauling), and used HSS with every oil change. Engine and trans were mostly original with the exception of the updated parts and he had replaced the turbo at 532k and maybe had 1 other injector swapped out. 4 injectors, the turbo, and the trans all started giving him major problems at 1,185,320 which is why he decided to finally get rid of it. I don't have pics of his odom, and I don't work at that shop anymore, but if you guys really want I can probably get my old boss to give me a copy of one of his invoices with the mileage on it.

His name is Terry and he showed me how bad@$$ the 6.0L is, once properly taken care of. I thank him whenever I see him now, I love my '05 and would never go back :icon_ford:

#32 ·
A million mile 6.0l I would love to see proof of this

#33 ·
So would I. So far, a million mile 6.0L does not exist, or at least we have not seen any hard evidence. So far, the highest mile 6.0 I have been able to somewhat document is the one with over 650k (see link in my OP). The OP on that thread posted a picture of the odometer showing the mileage. It looks like a 6.0 cluster to me, so I have no reason to doubt it. Yet.

#40 ·
Great thread. Bearup, you are an inspiration to us all. Keep on truckin', Bro.

Reactions: bearup
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.