No power while towing 5th wheel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No power while towing 5th wheel

I have been reading this forum since i bought my 06 f250 powerstroke last summer theres lots of good information.

I felt all winter something was not correct with the power on my truck. I read that its hard to spin the tires without brake standing but i couldn't even spin the tires in the rain. I have been getting 11-12 miles mpg which i blamed on winter fuel. I picked up my trailer today which weighs about 7000lbs i couldn't get past 60 mph on a medium grade hill.

I don't have any other symptoms either. I get white smoke on morning starts but it goes away 5minutes later. My truck starts fine no stumbling or black smoke or funny sounds. My turbo seems fine it maxs out at about 26-27 and seems to spool normally a bit slow maybe. My truck is totally stock with 40000km on it. I changed the fuel filters at 35000 and i change the oil every 5000km as recommended. I have no check engine light either.

I have made an appointment with my ford dealer but i like to hear from the great people here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 12:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Aside from any mechanical problems with your rig, You can get some much better towing results with a SCT programmer and a good custom towing tune. Also, on the list with the programmer should be a good gauge setup, ( trans temp, boost, pyro) to keep tabs on critical temps. And a good free flowing exhaust would help keep egts lower and reduce turbo lag. Good luck and welcome to the org!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the same problem on my 05. Show good boost but no power when towing. Took to dealer they found turbo was bad. They replace and it was all good till I need to replace the turbo again about 6,000 mile later. unfortnatly truck has 3 turbo and other repairs in 18,000 miles.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:27 AM

Is the 26-27 coming from the engine computer or analog guage? Maybe the MAP sensors is faulty and keeping the computer from fueling well under boost. Possible HGs but you don't seem to experience the normal symptoms.

The white smoke, is it fuel or just the normal water with slightly unburnt fuel thats normal in cold weather?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply s. I got my truck back yesterday and the ford tech re flashed my truck with the latest flash and told me to try it out for a couple days. He also felt the truck seemed ok to him on power. I must say i notice a big difference in mid range and cold startup the truck seems to run smoother than before. I am going to clean my egr valve this weekend anyways and hopefully the next time i tow i will see and improvement.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:33 PM

New flash changes EGR characteristics to prevent clogging so yea its a good time to clean er up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.