Coolant Filters/Engine Debris??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Filters/Engine Debris???

There has been some fairly extensive writing and some dramatic pictures of the debris that gets flushed out of the 6L PSD. Assuming that not everybody is out to sell a coolant filter, I am sure that there is credibility to be had here. Particularly when I read senior techs get behind the idea. Seems to me that would be something of a fluke and certainly easy for a quality engine builder like International to overcome. I would even think that is was most likely limited to engines produced from a certain production line. Is there any data out there suggesting that these problems exist from Huntsville or Indianapolis? And further is there any proof that in general the engine build quality was significantly different from one plant or the other? Just something to ponder on a Saturday morning.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Coolant filters are there to help take the sand out of the coolant. The casting process for these blocks they are cast in sand so over time some of that sand leaches into the coolant and eats up the seals on the pump.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

In general... It can't hurt. it can only help. I'm in the process of putting one on my 07. I'm in the middle of picking out my SST Ball vavles. I work as a PE for a water plant GC, so I go over all our valves, pipes, specs etc. So I know I'm going to end up with some sweet valves. Right now I'm looking at some Apollo or Howell H1 vavles. and I'm using 316 SST barb fittings also. Still pricing them out through our Suppliers. USA made, 316 sst ball valves w/ RPTFE seats. I checked to make sure the Temps, chemicals and etc were all compatible. If anyone is interested in 2 valves with sst barbs on each end PM me. Once I get mine I'll have all the part #s handy and have some great suppliers.

My next venture is to ensure I end up with the best Heater hose possible. I don't think that crap off a Roll at Autozone is all that great. Yet again I'll be buying it through a commercial suppy house. and will have access to Engineering data about all products.

Last edited by JBakerFX4; 04-12-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:49 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I asked marc if he would install a coolant filter on his 6.0 if he had one.. he said, "nope".
Old 04-12-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBakerFX4 View Post
If anyone is interested in 2 valves with sst barbs on each end PM me. Once I get mine I'll have all the part #s handy and have some great suppliers.

My next venture is to ensure I end up with the best Heater hose possible. I don't think that crap off a Roll at Autozone is all that great. Yet again I'll be buying it through a commercial suppy house. and will have access to Engineering data about all products.

I agree w/ you. I put standard heater hose on my filter and when I went to take the hose off of the barb fittings, I had a lot of trouble getting the hose off. The hose had "bonded" to the metal barb fitting from the heat. The hose was very hard also at the ends, for some reason, not in the middle yet.

I do not have a suggestion yet, ONLY THAT THE AUTOZONE "STANDARD ROLL" HEATER HOSE WILL BE VERY HARD TO WORK WITH AFTER A YEAR OR SO.

I am also researching the best hose to use.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I asked marc if he would install a coolant filter on his 6.0 if he had one.. he said, "nope".

Who is this person?
Old 04-13-2008, 07:17 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsey715 View Post
David did Marc give you a reason why he woudn't?
Old 04-13-2008, 07:19 AM

who is this marc???
Old 04-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBakerFX4 View Post
who is this marc???
Marc is a Master certified diesel tech.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:48 AM

10-4. HOwever I have owned many high mileage older cars and the crap in the cooling system is a horrible. last year On my 1985 Supra, with 200k on it... I Flushed the coolant system, and filled it back up. I even had the radiator proffesionally boiled, roded and cleaned out. it was filthy (running hot!). I then bught a Kitchen Sifter/strainer (sst) and cut it apart and installed it over the top radiator hose inlet. After 1 month of driving around... I took it apart and was amazed at the crap floating around in there caught in the SST mesh. That was my own, real world sold on it experiment. As for our diesels... It can't hurt? it's a bypass system with a non-charged filter. Though it might not help, it won't hurt. Just the $100-200 of cost. But in general... I think it's a good idea. There is an australian compnay that has a "inline coolant filter" for all cars/fluids. You buy the unit based on your upper radiator hose diameter and cut out 2" of hose. and then put this thing inline and it has a SST screen element. And it has a screw on cap ontop for easy cleaning/inspection. Real good for most average cars. That system is not a bypass, therefore if it clogs you overheat. However, if you keep an eye on it, problem solved. I think a coolant filter is a good idea in general, for all liquid cooled devices. And gambling $100 to prevent cooling system issues, I'll take that gamble from first hand debre I've collcected with a $5 kitchen straineer I rigged.

Coolant Filters

Last edited by JBakerFX4; 04-13-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.