What too look for on an '06 PSD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What too look for on an '06 PSD

First I want to say thanks for all the great info I've picked up from here. Second, what in particular should I look for on an '06 PSD with 34k on the clock? The deal that has it locally took it on trade (they sold it new as well), and they are going to pull an OASIS on it for me. I should have the truck on loan tonight so I can go over it methodically.

Since I've never owned a PSD what would you guys pay particular attention too?

Thx
Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 09:15 PM

Some 6.0L weak points (things to check):

look for signs of coolant degas bottle overfly (dry white residue or no level in degas bottle).

Ball joints go out at 40k-70k miles.

Lots of idling can cause EGR problems. I look at the hours on the engine (if it has this monitored) and divide the miles by the hours (is it below 30? If so, may have had lots of idling). EGR valves seem to plug quickly - maybe negotiate a new EGR valve.

Try to find out about the routine maintenance:
Filter change intervals on time? What kind of oil (CI4+ or CJ4 - one of these is required)?
OEM filters? Look at them and see what kind they are. Aftermarket filters can cause MAJOR problems.

Any exhaust problems visible (ie lots of white or blue smoke)? White smoke may mean and EGR cooler leak.

Fluid leaks (SPECIFICALLY OIL LEAKS - 6.0L are prone to many of these from many possible places!!)

CEL light on? Consider getting a code reader and check for DTC's

If you can pull the EGR valve, I would do so and check for wetness or excess soot. Wetness indicates an EGR cooler leak.

The Electronic Shift on the Fly ESOF sometimes fails due to vacuum leaks. Be sure to check this out (several times in and out of 4WD).

Check for excessive wheel bearing wear (looseness).

Check the coolant - it should have the Motorcraft Gold Coolant - anything else and there may be problems.

Find proof of Transmission being flushed - it is required every 30,00 miles.

Any evidence of a tuner (aftermarket air filter, gauges,etc). tuners may or may not be bad. Some tuners are MURDER on the transmission. Some dealerships will cause you a lot of problems w/ them - even if you bought it that way used.

Try to find out if the original owner ever ran it empty on fuel or have plugged filters?

Then the common stuff I'm sure you know:
Look at and smell the fluids
Drive it - surges? Stutters? Rattles or clunks? Good acceleration? sluggishness?
Check the tires - should have over half the life left at this mileage - abnormal wear?
All electronics working? Especially the AC?
Dents? Air bag been replaced, etc.
See if he has any repair or maintenance records.

Last edited by bismic; 04-09-2008 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Added a few things (some from the GREAT posts below)
Old 04-09-2008, 01:12 AM

Breuer,

I'm going to a dealer this afternoon to look at an 06 with 56K. Thank you for asking this question!!! I've compiled quite a list of things to dig around for, but what bismic provided was really helpful!
Old 04-09-2008, 01:38 AM

Breuer...

I just did a search of checking engine hours to refresh my memory, (I always need the manual to remind me and wanted to be able to do it quickly), but I found this...

6.0 PowerStroke bulletins

It's almost too much information for me. Now I'm going to be a wreck when we check this thing out today. But, hopefully something off of this list will help you, me, or somebody else.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:21 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If the dealer says it's been through the shop and the filters and fliuds change, verify it. I was told that only to find out the salesman lied. Trans should be flushed at 30k. Definitely check for a programmer and how they the dealership feels about them. Might be helpful if you decide to use one. I asked for an extended warranty due to hearing some of the problems they have. I don't intend to use it, but the ac control module cost almost what the warranty does so I called it a safe bet. Try to get them to change the filters or at least provide you with the fuel filters so you can do it.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:33 AM
lifetime member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIT2WN View Post
If the dealer says it's been through the shop and the filters and fliuds change, verify it. I was told that only to find out the salesman lied. Trans should be flushed at 30k. Definitely check for a programmer and how they the dealership feels about them. Might be helpful if you decide to use one. I asked for an extended warranty due to hearing some of the problems they have. I don't intend to use it, but the ac control module cost almost what the warranty does so I called it a safe bet. Try to get them to change the filters or at least provide you with the fuel filters so you can do it.
good post! i asked for 5 oil changes when i purchased my truck, even though i would not want to wait at the dealership. i was hoping they would give me the parts and oil to do it myself. they did. they also changed my ball joints, new greasable u-joints, and new brake pads and rotors. all free of charge. this was after i negotiated the price and started to back out of the deal. i am very happy. they wanted to sell a truck.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:37 AM

Bismic,

Thanks for the great info.

I spent some time crawling around under the truck last night (since I had it in my garage any way. Heres what I found:

Looks like the engine may be "weeping" from the bed plate area. I'm not going to call it a leak since there wasn't even a drop on my garage floor this morning, plus I had to crawl under it with my drop light to find it. Also looks like pinion seal is leaking a little on the rear end.

I didn't see any issues with any of the fluids, and I definately want to get them to change the oil and filter, along with the fuel filters, and flush the tranny if they can't come up with the paper work to show it was done at 30k like Ford recommends.

Then engine hours are pretty low for the miles, like it spent more time on the highway then idling around town.

As best I can tell the truck is bone stock, drives straight, doesn't wander or pull either under acceleration, steady speed, or breaking.

The rest of the fluids and levels look fine, and according to the OASIS report the truck has never been in for warranty work. Build date is 3 Feb 2006 from the Kentucky plant.

Thx
Mark

Old 04-09-2008, 07:03 PM

So far it sounds like a good truck. I love my 06! I forgot to mention that you should have them update the software strategies (tranny control module, power train control module, fuel injection control module). I just recently had this done and it is great! I have rather sluggish performance when cold (after first starting up), but this disappears quickly. The software will help w/ EGR control, injector performance and other things.

The oil seepage is something you will have to decide for yourself. Some people just go nuts w/ any kind of leakage. Since you have over 30k on the engine, the bed plate will not seal itself. If it were me, I would have them fix it, but you can certainly use it as a negotiation point.

Without a doubt I would have the pinion seal leak fixed.

If you could negotiate an extended warranty, this might be very nice to have.

You may also want to consider getting a CARFAX report, but it sounds like you may not need it (if you know the vehicles history).

What nsrchofpwr negotiated for was pretty nice! Try all you can!
Old 04-10-2008, 04:55 AM

Well I'm no longer among the members that don't own a PSD! I struck a deal last night, they had the documentation to back up the oil changes and filters. This morning its heading into the service department for them to check out the pinion seal and the bed plate, as well as do the tranny service.

If I'm wrong on the bed plate and its leaking from someplace else I should have the truck tonight
Old 04-11-2008, 01:47 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Congrads, I hate how I came into my truck after all was said and done but I love the truck. I actually may like it more than my Lightning which is hard to say or type. I have always liked fast trucks but this thing has a place in my driveway because of the torque room, and 4wd I guess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.