Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

03 6.0 Should I be worried?

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  LHMissions 
#1 ·
Looking at a 03 6.0 crew cab auto 4x4, any problems I should look for before I buy? What trouble's are there on the early 03's? thanks

#2 ·
I have an 03 6.0 crew 4x4 .... 188K and only problem has been 2injectors and HPOP ... Everything else has been great and the 03's are known for the turbo's .... They whistle like crazy :thumb:

#3 ·
my buddy had an 03 and it was junk it was i the shop for 7 months of the year the replaced the heads, turbo almost everything and was still junk so he traded it in but some run with no problems and some are junk.

#4 ·
I have 118,000 on my 03 couple injectors that's about it. Runs great I use it everyday. Just try to get the oasis report and go from there

#5 ·
be afraid, be very afraid.

#9 ·
People give them a bad rap but I've seen my fair share of 05+ with problems

#11 ·
luck of the draw

I guess its the luck of the draw. if all these other guys are having problems i dont know whats up. I have a 03 powerstroke with 70,000 and never had any engine trouble. I run a 130 HP tune everyday and no problems. Ball joints were just replace but that will happen about every 40,000 with any F-series. Some guys trucks blow up and some run forever, its the luck of the draw.

#14 ·
03 6.0 82,000 mi. Corroded water fuel seperator fixed under warranty couple weeks ago.

Found the following from an oasis report from the previous owner (all under warranty):

replaced EGR
a few injectors
sticking vanes in the turbo, so they replaced the turbo

and thats it. It has ran great for me now that all the kinks are out

#15 ·
I have had 6 or my 8 injectors replaced but thats about it I have 77,000 miles on mine I think they do have a bad rap but I am about to do headstuds and EGR block off so hope fully after Sept 08 I will not have anymore problems b/c I will be out of warranty then

#16 ·
There were a ton of '03 problems - however...

I have an '03 SD Long Bed, 4wd Lariat. I have 145,000 miles on her - 70,000 in the last 2 years. After 6 major oil leaks ( I was starting to understand why Ford put 15 quarts in them - so when 6 leaked out you still had oil in the engine to limp home on), a high pressure oil injection pump (major major work), and 2 injectors - I was actually told by a Ford Mechanic "you seem to have one of the good ones".

Then there was the 30,000 pound Freightliner that ramed me at 60mph in the rear. I walked away. Not a weakness of the truck - rather attains to their strength. I was braking at 20mph and less when rammed. $9000 in damages, my truck is back together and all things well.

If you can find a '05 - you would have less chance of problems.

As far as my '03 - once all the "issues" were addressed - leaks fixed, new oil injection pump and new injectors - I really do love my truck and short of a crew cab - would not think of getting rid of it for anything else.

See if you can get an Oasis report from Ford for it. Also ask for a repair log.
Any dealer should be able to run one of them for you even if it is a private seller.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.