Search for my new truck continue... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Search for my new truck continue...

Well, unfortunately I had to take a pass on the '04 Dually I was looking at. Very discouraging, as I really liked that truck, but my gut tells me there are a lot of $$$ on the horizon!

In any case, I have found an '06 F350 CC SRW 6.0 Auto that looks really nice. Mileage is just under 15,000, so it's almost new (just getting broken in).

The '06 is appealing because it is my understanding - correct me if I'm wrong - that most of the major issues were worked out of the engine by that point. Also, the new front suspension and tighter turning radius are pluses in my situation.

However, this particular vehicle has not been issue free itself (In it's young 14,500 miles). Last summer there was an EGR problem that resulted in the EGR valve being replaced. More recently, this February there was a problem with the turbo sticking. The cause was found to be corrosion on the bearing housing flange. This was also repaired.

So my question to the experts is, are these indicative of major issues? A gentleman in my office (Dodge diesel guy) suggests that the corrosion is probably a result of the new ULSD fuel, possibly coupled with the high bio content mandated by our local government. If this is the case, I wonder if this turbo corrosion is just the tip of the iceberg, and there is likely to be more elsewhere that has not been found yet.

The good thing is, there is a lot of warranty left.

So, what do you guys think? Would these couple of issues scare you off?

Thanks for any input.
Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 07:17 AM
Conservative and Proud

Bumping this up for my fellow Oregonian!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think the corrosion problem was due to not enough driving of the truck and when driven not driven long or hard enough to get all the moister burnt out of the system..
Old 04-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Rice Hunter

I'll have to agree with the above!! Run a fuel additive and run her like you stole'r. Lot's of warranty left for sure. Run good grade fuel, and good service will get you many good miles. The issues with EGR "is" pretty common but you will soon learn how to avoid these
small hurdles called "DELETE" or "BYPASS". Problems Solved!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.