6.0 Engine Pull & Rebuild.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Rebel

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 6.0 Engine Pull & Rebuild..

Ok here's the whole story behind my truck. Its gonna be kinda long so here it goes.

I bought the truck off Ebay from Texas. After getting the run around on the shipping company after 4 weeks, I got the truck and had to drive 1hr 15mins into IL to get the truck off the transport truck. Luckily I talked to the truck driver and both batteries were dead. So to start the day off I had to go and buy 2 brand new batteries and go out there to change them. Truck started and ran ok. Let it warm up and get 20 mins down the road and the truck overheats on the highway. I pull over and it seems to be really low on antifreeze. So after truck cools down i get it to a gas station and buy some antifreeze and get it home. Notice that the reservoir had a crack at the bottom of it. So i was hoping that was the leak that made it low. I epoxied it for a quick fix until i could get another. 2 weeks go by and the truck starts running rough thats when I started talking to Marc on here about it. I took the truck to ford and had the latest re-flash done and the truck ran for all codes. Codes showed that 6 injectors where mis-firing 4 really bad and 2 where just doing it every so often. So i ran across a friend that had 4 brand new injectors and i got them from him pretty cheap. I installed them myself and it wasn't to bad. So with that being said i still have 2 that are mis-firing but not to bad so i figured when i got some extra cash i would just buy 4 more. But after about 5 days of driving it which the re-flash really helped the truck a lot it started better and ran better but as i was saying after 5 days or so the truck started smoking really bad WHITE smoke so i asked around here and talked to a few Ford Mechanics and explained what was happening and everyone said EGR cooler so i took the reservoir cap loose and the smoke stopped so i had to drive it a few days like that. After about 3 days it was using a lot of antifreeze. So 3-24-08 i was pulling a car from a friends house home and it over heated and started blow to coolant out of the reservoir like crazy. So i let it cool down and limped it home as i was pulling into my drive way it hydro locked and wouldn't start. I lost all power before it locked. I let it cool down again to get it up the drive way if it would start. I left hood wide open and took reservoir cap all the way off and after about 10 solid clunk clicks it stated turning over again and it started ran really bad and very little power i got it close to the garage and now this is where i am. I have the whole top of the engine off right now. Turbo,intake,EGR cooler,radiator,all that good stuff and i have decided since i locked it up and it having 205k on it i would just rebuild it and do the best i can. But the good news is i am not using my motor with the 205k on it for the rebuild i bought a buddies 05 6.0 that had 60k on it before the high pressure pump went out. I am gonna try to add as many mods along the way i can afford. This isn't gonna be a over night rebuild. Its gonna take some time and money since i want everything done right. So this is my story i hope you like it and i didn't bore you. Heres some pics..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Good luck
Old 03-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Banned

best of luck man! organization is key in a big project like this! ziplock backs will become your friend! enjoy learning more about the motor as you go through it
keep us updated!
Old 03-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Best of Luck!
What year was that motor?
Old 03-30-2008, 11:36 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well I have never pulled a 6.0, but I'm certain it's not much different then the 7.3 I just RnR'd...

I'd let you know, there were a LOT of things I removed that I didn't need to and it ended up costing me a bit of time to get it back in.

If you're using a cherry picker - do yourself a huge favor and remove the hood.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
Well I have never pulled a 6.0, but I'm certain it's not much different then the 7.3 I just RnR'd...

I'd let you know, there were a LOT of things I removed that I didn't need to and it ended up costing me a bit of time to get it back in.

If you're using a cherry picker - do yourself a huge favor and remove the hood.
hood delete mod- great idea
nothing like having room above your head, and for throw things over it too
Old 03-30-2008, 12:17 PM
allergic to hot weather

Send a message via AIM to 95and05 Send a message via MSN to 95and05
gotta subscribe to this to watch. just finished my 7.3 but i will need to pay attention to this just in case i gotta do the EX.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:36 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just remember it's just nuts and bolts. Take your time, and at the end of the day any progress is good progress. I'd say expect to spend 3x's the amount of time it took you to take everything apart, to put it back together CORRECTLY before you can RELIABLY drive it

As for the hood "delete" it just makes it easier to get the motor in and out. You can take the hood off or the bumper and save yourself some wear and tear
Old 03-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Streak
Why haven't you killed the seller yet?
Old 03-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nice find on the '05 engine! Like I said on the engine pull thread, its a diesel which is a different concept but the fact remains this is just another internal combustion engine. Most of the general mechanical knowledge you already posess from building hot rod gassers will apply. Its really all you need to get you through an R&R + mods on a diesel. Pay attention to where everything comes off, throw it in a pile, and put it back in reverse order where you found it with the same bolts. Just like a gasser.

When I did mine I had no help (besides what I looked up on the PS.org site ) and no experience on diesel. Its do-able bud. Ignore the nay sayers and get er dun, thats all ther is to it!!

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.