School me - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
School me

School me on tuners/chips. I know nothing about them, what to get, where to hook it up, and how they work. All i know is they make more power Also what adverse affects am i going to have? IE blowing head gaskets and head stud problems. 2003 6.0L, i'm trying to keep it as stock as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
just do a search. an sct xcal w/custom tunes is what you want. If you're trying to keep it as stock as possible getting a "chip" isn't the best idea. they place lots of added stress on the 6.0L.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsey715 View Post
just do a search. an sct xcal w/custom tunes is what you want. If you're trying to keep it as stock as possible getting a "chip" isn't the best idea. they place lots of added stress on the 6.0L.
So should i just leave well enough alone? I already have one modded vehicle and its nothing but touble. I swore i'd leave this one alone.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:23 PM

You pay to play... I and 99% of the other members of this forum will agree with a custom tuned SCT for the 6.0 and there are a few different tuners, DJ's, Innovative, Dfuser, Spartan, etc... The SCT will be the only tuner that can control your tranny.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:41 PM

truthfully, it all depends on what you want out of the truck, true a custom tuned sct will work great for you, but if your mainly looking for mileage and a little more power maybe spending $400+ on a tuner isn't gonna be your best option. you can do something mild like a Quadzilla XZT that only gives you 65hp 165lbft and will increase your mileage 1-4mpg w/o putting any excessive stress on the drivetrain. then you can look into doing an exhaust and intake.

give me a shout if you need anymore direction

kyle
Old 03-25-2008, 02:56 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
An SCT is the ONLY way to go for tuning on a 6.0. Chips/Modules do NOT provide proper control of the tranny and the SCT can be tuned for any level of performance you desire from MPH to GOLIKEHELL. At the very minimum (and from the right tuner) it will give your tranny extra life since the factory programming leaves a LOT to be desired. Also, plug-in chips/modules (anything NOT a flash tuner) have proven to be hard on the tranny (especially shift on the fly) since the transmission control module does have a short learning curve it has to go through everytime you change power levels. Consider this......what's cheaper--an SCT tuner or a trashed tranny from crappy shifting?
Old 03-25-2008, 03:01 PM

idk about it being the ONLY one, but the XZT module i did for an older guy the other day loved it b/c it firmed up his shifts and picked him up another 2.5 mpg while towing his 5th wheel. it all depends on what unit you go with, believe me they are all not made the same, same thing as not every custom MPG tune will be the same.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

Just looking for a little more ***. A few mpg more would be nice too. Towing really isnt an issue as i only tow an 8000lb camper and it tows it fine now. How much is the sct? And how hard is it to go from the mileage setting for highway trips to a power setting for around town?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:30 PM

prices vary depending on what kind of deal you get, but your looking at around 400 bucks. Since you can't shift from one tune to another on the fly, it usually takes around 3-5 minutes to change from one to another when your trucks parked. Not that big of a deal really......
Old 03-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

This something i can install and switch tunes? Who and where do i get the tunes? And where exacltey does it go? Sorry for the nwbie ?'s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.