If you are still thinking of going diesel your nuts... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2008, 03:18 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you are still thinking of going diesel your nuts...

if you don't do it.

In our particular situation, rv on an E450 chasis, '07 6.0 psd, we get just about twice the mpg of our gasser counterparts.

Yes diesel is roughly .45 pennies more than premium gas BUT when the above is factored in; until regular reaches $6.40 per gallon we are still AHEAD!!!

Now more than ever going diesel makes alot of sense.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here. I'm currently driving an '03 F150 FX4 regular cab with a 4.6 and 5spd. Great truck and its been problem free for me. Generally I run around town with it, and back and for to work, though occasionally I'll pull a 5k or so trailer. I've been looking at 05-07 PSD's as I'm needing a super/crew cab for the crib critter, and I'd like to see my fuel expenses stay the same per mile (less would be good) .

With the current premium for Diesel here in the Omaha, NE area I'd need to get 15-16 MPG or better in town. Reasonable?

BTW, thanks for all the great info!
Old 03-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Yes no reason with the right mods and a light foot you can't get 16-18 I avg. 17 around town.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breuer69 View Post
Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here. I'm currently driving an '03 F150 FX4 regular cab with a 4.6 and 5spd. Great truck and its been problem free for me. Generally I run around town with it, and back and for to work, though occasionally I'll pull a 5k or so trailer. I've been looking at 05-07 PSD's as I'm needing a super/crew cab for the crib critter, and I'd like to see my fuel expenses stay the same per mile (less would be good) .

With the current premium for Diesel here in the Omaha, NE area I'd need to get 15-16 MPG or better in town. Reasonable?

SWEET! Another Papillion guy lol. Yeah if you get a chip or tuner you can expect that...I got 20 mpg highway today...its reasonable.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by breuer69 View Post

Depending on how often you are stopping/starting, I see between 17-21 mpg unloaded with an 06 F250.

To the OP: It's also worth keeping in mind that diesel has 12% more energy in it than the equivalent amount of gas :p
Old 03-16-2008, 05:50 AM
Banned

More energy, less damaging pollutants (if you subscribe to manmade global warming which I do not), less energy required to make diesel and perhaps one of the better reasons to go diesel;
for those of us old enough to remember the gas lines of the '70's-there was NEVER a wait at the diesel pump!

Diesel fuel is alot greener than gas and diesel vehicles will outlast gas vehicles-making diesel greener still.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:42 AM

87 ocatane is $3.19/gal in Tampa. Diesel is $3.90/gal. So it's roughly 22.5% more expensive. A F150 Gasser averages 14mpg. So it's diesel counter part would have to average 17.15mpg to be the "SAME". Tell you right now, averaging 17.15 is more the ab-norm rather than norm. And then you have to factor the issue the Gasser machine cost $30k, a diesel machine cost $45k. Diesel oil changes are $80 vs $20 gas oil changes. Diesel fuel filters are $60/12k vs $15/30k. Insuring the diesel vehicle is more $X/month, Registration is more $X/yr. I think if you are really wanting to compare, you have to step back and look at the bigger picture "overall".

I do agree that diesels are very efficient and green. However for some dam reason this country does not want average people running around in Diesel, even though it's ok for the rest of the world to do so. I'm not sure why, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with money, as usual. If every american had the same vehicle but in Diesel, how many barrels of oil would we as a country save per year.... food for thought. But everytime I watch TV all they can rant and rave about is how many barrels of oil americans use, and we need to conserve, and find alternate sources bla bla bla. Total joke. I think there is a huge resistance to diesels coming from some very high power(s); oil companies or alike.

Last edited by JBakerFX4; 03-16-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:46 AM
Banned

We need to compare like vechicles.
What does a gasser 250 get for mileage and what does a 6.0 250 get for mileage? my guess is that the diesel would return alot more than a 22% gain; from what I am told 20mpg on the diesel p/u 250 is very possible while 12 mpg on the gasser is the norm.

What I can state is that we get just about twice the mpg in our rv with the 6.0 as compared to gas units and I believe it is reasonable to presume this mpg advantage is applicable across the board, that is, if driven properly, in an unmodded unit, the fuel consumption should be roughly cut in half with a diesel unit as compared to a gasser.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:52 AM
lifetime member

my 6.0 gets around 20 mpg, hand calculated, on the interstate as long as i drive reasonable. my 37's may have something to do with that.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:03 AM

on a 4" lift and 35x12.50 AT's I get 17.5@75. At 60 I get 19. I've ben re-thinking the idea of getting a F150.... Dumb, going with a Tacoma. My '94 4runner on 35" Mt's, Dana 44 Solid axle swap, 3" body lift, 4" springs, Metal bumpers F&R, rock sliders etc... was getting 19 hwy and 16city. and it was a 140k mile 5spd 120 HP V6. I really like the newer Tacos. Not fond of the pushbutton 4wd, but hey, my F250 had it. and No, not fond of IFS, but for a good daily driver and i'm leaving it stock... a TRD on 265 or 275 BFG AT's stock with a Elocker is a very good setup. Probly one of the most capable (off-road) stock trucks on the market. Elocker... oh that would be nice. I miss my Detroits. Just not sure if I want a Xcab reg bed or a Crew cab short bed Taco. if that gets to expensive I'll just buy a Horse.

Last edited by JBakerFX4; 03-18-2008 at 03:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.