Some MPG analysis - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 04:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Some MPG analysis

Like everybody, I've been expanding my knowledge of profanity when paying for fuel. So I thought I'd see what I could do about it. Got that MPG meter, let's see what it's telling us. Over the last couple of days, I've been resetting it to see what I'm getting under various driving conditions.

What I found is that my lead foot was doing the damage. Not just starting from stop, but stomping on it on the ramp that leads to BG Parkway, cranking it open to pass, and on and on. Today, I put all of that to work. Took it nice and easy on the starts and going uphill. Never got over 65 on the highway, was going 60 most of the way. Kept the boost under 10 at all times, under 5 most of the time.

How did I do? Last week, it was showing 12.5mpg average over the last month, on my normal drive to work which is about 70% highway and 30% town. Got to work today, and it was showing... 18.6. And what did that cost me? Normal commute is 30 minutes. This time, it was... 32 minutes.

I may have been driving like grandpa, but I'm grandpa with more money in my pocket. I figure this will save me at least $25 a week. More than that, at least I'm doing something about it, and not just paying out the nose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 07:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to Streak
I'm curious how the factory mpg gauge works...does it actually compute fuel flow, or does it have a look-up table of what gas mileage should be under whatever condition. I'd imagine it's the first, but plenty of people here call it the lie-o-meter so I'm curious why people question its accuracy
Old 03-13-2008, 07:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would love to know what folks are getting with the 6.4
I'm looking at a 250 and going to keep it stock except for a cold air maybe...
3.73 gears and an auto...
I'm not a leadfoot but not a total so called grandpa either...lol
Any help would be great...I did a search but most of what I saw was already modded...
Old 03-13-2008, 07:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streak View Post
I'd imagine it's the first, but plenty of people here call it the lie-o-meter so I'm curious why people question its accuracy
Well, my overhead claims my truck is getting 20.5 mpg. If you actually figure it, I average a little over 15. Hopefully, the newer trucks are more accurate, but it's doubtful.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:26 AM

I checked mine against distance traveled and fuel used last fall, and it's pretty close. It said 17, my calcs said 16.5.

Regardless of how accurate it is overall, my gas gauge said I was doing much better today than last week.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry folks...I just realized I was in the 6.0 forum when I posted the above...
OOPS!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

And I bet you are way less stressed when you get to work too.

I work with the public, in a small town, and people are constantly bringing up the topic of fuel prices. To and from work there is a small mountain pass, with passing lanes going both ways. Funny thing is, as I am going 55, these same people are passing me doing 65-75 uphill. Yet we pull into town seconds apart. That can't be good for the MPG
Old 03-13-2008, 03:11 PM

good rule of thumb. keep the rpms under 2000 on the freeway and you will see a big difference in mpg. also take off a little slower from red lights. it helps dramaticly. and your totally right about only taking a couple extra minutes to get to work when your doing slower speeds. thanks for sharing your mpg testing with us
Old 03-14-2008, 03:37 AM

I checked the accuracy of my meter, within .2mpg. SO it's dead on. Heavy acceleration kills my MPG's also along with A/C use. I'm also pretty sure the Mechacnical cooling fan is the reason why sometimes I get 19mpg hwy and then it drops to 17 for a few minutes then back up to 19. it's the clutch engaging/disengaging. and 2mpg sounds about right for a mech fan, especially that big.

My plan for MPG relief:
A-sell truck, but for not a huge loss and buy a older used truck that runs on gas and have no payment.
B-Keep truck, but remove 4" lift, and maybe go back to smaller/stock tires.
C- explore the Electric fan & 10w-30 oil options.

...also forgot, drive less, slower and eat cat food. and cut my cable off.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:55 AM

Other things:

1. MINIMIZE IDLE TIME. I still idle for 30 seconds to a minute on cooler days, but when it is 40 or more, only 10 seconds or so. No hard accelerations until the engine is warm. Remember, the oil is still heating up after the engine coolant reaches temperature. One reason I use 5W-40 synthetic.

2. Your tires not being aired up can knock off .5 to 1.0 mpg.

3. The AC will knock a .5 mpg off. Not enough to NOT use it, but if you don't need it, turn it off.

4. You are paying a price for 20 inch wheels as well. 16's or 17's are much better on mileage as long as you are not going for a wide profile. Problem is, it doesn't pay out yet to change them .......... and I like them.

My best mileage is around 1500 rpm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.