max inflation for BFG 35x12.50r17 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
max inflation for BFG 35x12.50r17

I've been searching all over, but I can't find this one little piece of information: What's the proper inflation psi for a BFG A/T 35x12.50r17? The most I can find is a max inflation of 50psi at 3000lbs.

Does that mean I should keep them at 50psi? I'm asking because I get low mpg and was reading that keeping tires at proper pressure is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Rice Hunter

First take a look at your tire ply rating. Should be "D" or "E" for these heavy rigs.
Then take a look at your door post. There is a suggested tire pressure rating there.
Hope this helps
Old 03-09-2008, 07:35 PM

should be on the sidewall of the tire, what the max psi should be.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Jon

psi

Its on the side wall. These trucks come from the factory with an E rated tire. It is best to keep it that way. Alot of people go to a D because they are cheaper. These trucks are designed to have a hard tire. Especially true on the '05 and up with the coil sprung front end. If the tires are down graded to a D rated tire and psi lowered to below 65psi the front end can vibrate like crazy over bumps. Just some good info.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:27 PM

If you don't have the stock size,make, and model tires on the truck the door sticker isn't going to be accurate.

The proper way to check for proper inflation uses chalk and a lot of effort. Make a nice chalk line across the tread of the tire then drive around. Get out and check the line for even wear. Adjust pressure and retest as necessary.

For best MPG inflate to max PSI. Makes the ride rough though.

Jon, Not that I don't believe you but I can't grasp that a softer more compliant tire would cause vibration. Unless badly balanced the softer sidewalls should work like shocks and absorb bumps.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Jon

Well

As a matter of fact there is a Service Msg out about this and i've fixed several by inflating the tires to 75 to 80 psi as directed by an E range tire. They can shake so bad you can lose control. I had one get away from me like that once on a test drive.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
First take a look at your tire ply rating. Should be "D" or "E" for these heavy rigs.
Then take a look at your door post. There is a suggested tire pressure rating there.
Hope this helps
Hmm if the original tires are rated E, the information on the door post won't be correct, will it?

(edit: I see R. Taylor confirmed this, thanks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Its on the side wall. These trucks come from the factory with an E rated tire. It is best to keep it that way. Alot of people go to a D because they are cheaper. These trucks are designed to have a hard tire. Especially true on the '05 and up with the coil sprung front end. If the tires are down graded to a D rated tire and psi lowered to below 65psi the front end can vibrate like crazy over bumps. Just some good info.
I bought it used from a private party, the owner had lifted it and it has D rated BFGs on it. There is no recommended inflation psi on the side tire, as far as I can tell (I've looked HARD). Just a mention that there's a max load of 3000lbs at 50psi.

Here's a link to the exact tire: BFGoodrich Tires | Mud-Terrainā„¢ T/AĀ® KM2 | Tire Sizes & Specs

So are you saying I should inflate these to 65psi?

Last edited by eyesonly; 03-09-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:40 PM

Huh, learn something new everyday. I have D's on my truck @~35psi, But I have leaves. It's hard to find 35's with load E.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:45 PM

If you don't have a vibration problem I wouldn't take them higher then the stated 50psi

Best MPG will be at 50psi, But it will ride hard and wear the tires faster/unevenly.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Taylor View Post
Huh, learn something new everyday. I have D's on my truck @~35psi, But I have leaves. It's hard to find 35's with load E.
I have an '04 F250 with leaves, though I have removed the overload leaf to reduce the rear end bouncing.

On a side note: I had my Ds at 35psi as well, running Edge w/Attitude also on level 3, boost level 5. What mpg do you get, and where do you find the Edge should be set for best mpg?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.