Is there a reliable 6.0??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 06:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is there a reliable 6.0???

Well here is my story: I race modifieds on the weekends, and tow our triler with my dodge cummins (please don't knock it I really love this truck), and the truck tows awesome, just not enough room for all our help. So, we tried finding an rv with a diesel..too expensive. So I then said, well ford makes the excursion. Now, I'm well aware the 7.3 seems to be a more reliable engine, however didn't ford change the 6.0 around 2005 and make a much more durable engine? Whatever we choose for a hauler will be towing a 28ft enclosed trailer weighing at 15-16k. We are trying to find an excursion with the 7.3 but everyone wants the moon for the dang things, so I was curious if I could expand my possibilities with a later 6.0 excursion. I don't want problems, my 5.9 cummins has been awesome for durability and towing power. If we cant find an excursion, I'll probably end up getting a 2006 mega cab..let me know guys thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 06:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
IMHO no year of 6.0 is better than the next. All years need about the same "mods/fixes" to be reliable. I would blame alot of the bad reputation of the earlier models on inexperienced techs and mis-diagnosis.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Premium Member

The 6.0 can be a very reliable motor. My '05 Excursion has had two things go wrong since I bought it new, a $25 relay and a FICM which was my fault as I knew my alternator was on its way out. I installed the Bullet Proof Diesel FICM upgrade which is made to military specs. I think the 7.3 is more popular then the 6.0 Excursion but if you take care of known 6.0 issues ahead of time you can have just as reliable of a vehicle as I do. IMO synthetic oil is a must. Like you've found out Excursions are in high demand and prices don't seem to go down. Every single time I stop off at a Ford dealer I barely get one foot on the ground getting out of mine before I get a salesman asking if I would be willing to sell it and even though I say no they always give me their card if I change my mind. They never try to sell me a new vehicle they just want my stock Excursion bad. LOL

Good Reading

Things to consider about owning a 6.0

Monitoring a 6.0

Bullet proofing the 6.0

Tech files

Side effect of disconnecting EGR valve

Tech Info

Powerstroke Books

Powerstroke Info

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-23-2013, 06:43 AM
Bump To Pass!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse S View Post
IMHO no year of 6.0 is better than the next. All years need about the same "mods/fixes" to be reliable. I would blame alot of the bad reputation of the earlier models on inexperienced techs and mis-diagnosis.
This is best explanation for the 6.0 engine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-23-2013, 07:08 AM

From my experience so far if you by one delete the egr, upgrade stc fitting, coolant filter, elc coolant,blue spring upgrade, monitoring system...
Old 05-23-2013, 07:22 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lester View Post
From my experience so far if you by one delete the egr, upgrade stc fitting, coolant filter, elc coolant,blue spring upgrade, monitoring system...
So basically after you spend all that money doing these things your better off getting the 7.3 excursion but good luck like you said everyone wants and arm leg and kidney for one
Old 05-23-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
So basically after you spend all that money doing these things your better off getting the 7.3 excursion but good luck like you said everyone wants and arm leg and kidney for one
I don't believe that to be true. The 6.0 is a great motor, its just a different animal than the 7.3. If you don't do maintenance like you're supposed to, and neglect the truck, then yes, you're better off with a 7.3. If you want more power with a better transmission and you're willing to do the maintenance to it, then IMO the 6.0 is a great choice.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:42 AM

My 6.0 was almost completely stock... did the blue spring upgrade, religious oil/filter changes with rotella syn and swapped out my coolant for cat-1 rated...monitored it since almost day one and ran an sct tuner.... It was an 03 and only thing I had to do was change an injector....Ran great for almost 10 years.....
Old 05-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by william_ace View Post
I don't believe that to be true. The 6.0 is a great motor, its just a different animal than the 7.3. If you don't do maintenance like you're supposed to, and neglect the truck, then yes, you're better off with a 7.3. If you want more power with a better transmission and you're willing to do the maintenance to it, then IMO the 6.0 is a great choice.
Yea i mean i dont deny that it CANT be reliable but i just find it hard to spend 10k+ on a truck that still needs 5k+ to make it right
Old 05-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Really sound like a dodge guy, find an ex without a diesel and put a cummins in it. Lots of guys have supposedly done the conversion and cummins are supposed to be cheap to find for wrecks etc. I know you said you dont want to spend the 5K to do what is needed, but there are many 6.0 out there without problems or that have already been fixed/bulletproofed. When you buy used you are actually buying a pig in a poke no matter the brand. I would be fearful of buying a dodge that has been modified because they then per different articles Ive read they tend to have some of the same issues many complain about the fords having. Yes some will run but you got to know who did what and why to them also.

So if you find one, find someone who knows about them and have it checked out, may run$100 or so but in the long run could be well worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.