How are your trannys holding up???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How are your trannys holding up????

Im looking at buying an 05 PSD and i want to konw how everyones trannys are holding up after an intake, exhast, and chip. I have heard that the ZF6's go through clutchs easy with all the torque but that they internals hold up great. I have also heard great things about the 5R110 and that it handles the power ok.

I was born an raised running 5spds in our 7.3's and would like to stick with it. I dontdrive too hard on my truck now but i do like to get up on her and be able to show whats up. Im looking for the most bullet proof tranny that will last me a long time.

I am very familier with changing clutchs and am not wary of doing it in the future. But if the auto holds up better in the long run i might want to get it......

Also how do you guys that have the ZF6 like them. I have heard mixed reviews about them. I have heard that the 6.0's power band is better with the auto.... Doesnt make any sense to me.

Throw all the info you got my way....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Banned

ive seen the 5R110's hold up GREAT....ive only seen three replaced and all of them were abused....overheated...etc... (one had a case so packed with mud that you couldnt see the case...obviously it overheated...LOL)
Old 03-05-2008, 07:11 PM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
5R110 on mine and 30,000 hard driven miles...mostly on tunes..so far so good.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Banned

Well my 5R110 in my 06 F2Fidy... i've made easily over 20 quarter mile passes and drive my truck like I stole it on a daily basis and I'm running Innovative's Xtreme Street tune with AFE stage 2 intake, MBRP straight exhaust, plus all the other mods in my gallery list. I run this rig hard! On 35" tires too.
Tranny shifts firm and strong and never lets me down! Have 59,000 miles on it too! going REAL strong... I would say you're going to be good with the plans you have!
Old 03-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have 52,000 miles on mine and run the crap out of it. No problems so far!
Old 03-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

110000 miles on mine about 80000 pulling a 26ft 5th wheel and about 30000 tuned to the max. Still shifts great and runs cool. Great transmissions!!!!.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So i have heard a lot about the 5R110.... How about the guys running the ZF6????
Old 03-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Mod Newbie

I've never ran one personally, but have plenty of friends that do. The clutch is the weak point. All the guys I know replaced the stock clutch with a South Bend unit. They can make the clutch as strong as you want. They've not had any trouble with the internals. The hydraulic clutch line w/reservoir goes bad if it is not the updated 1 piece style, but other than that, awesome tranny.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I upgraded the clutch in my F150 to a center force when i put a new tranny in and would never go back to stock. I love the center force. Im torn about what tranny to get.

Are there any major TSB's out on either of the trannys.....?????
Old 03-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Mod Newbie

Not any on the ZF that I am aware of. The 5r110 had a recall not to long after they came out, but it was for the planitary set. As far as I know they have all been repaired. I worked at a Ford dealership for a while and we only had 5 or 6 5r110 come in for the recall. None came in with actual trans. concerns. I did however see one the other day at the dealership I worked at with the case broken. The guy was an idiot and told them that he just installed the biggest chip Bullydog makes and drove it on the highest setting without training the trans. Needless to say, no warranty for him. Just remember to train the transmission if stated in instructions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.