Warranty - Whats covered and when? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 06:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warranty - Whats covered and when?

I'm leaning heavy towards a 6.0L Powerstroke F250 4x4. 2004 to 2005. Nothing super fancy. Basic XLT level truck.

What is covered under warranty for a used truck and for how long? And for whom?

Assume I can buy a clean, decent used model. One with a reasonable OASIS report. Clean history. Stock with no mods ever. Etc.

I've seen several candidates at both Ford and Non-Ford dealerships. Say I buy one a person traded in on a new GMC. Say its got 75,000 miles on it and its a 2005. So the three years is up on the bumper to bumper. Fair enough.

As far as the engine/drivetrain is concerned...whats left for me? I'd be non-original owner. Didn't buy it new obviously. If I get to 90K miles and I start to have injector or turbo problems...can I just pull into a Ford dealership and say "please fix this under warranty"?

Does Ford honor the engine for 100K or 200K? Or recall items only?

What should I expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008, 06:47 AM

The cover the engine for the remainder of the 5yr/100k
Old 02-27-2008, 06:51 AM

I guess I should also say that I'm familiar with Dodge Cummins trucks. For years their warranty literature has legally stated that the Cummins Engine warranty runs concurrent ( NOT simultaneous) with the OEM Dodge bumper to bumper warranty. Meaning that it's 100K warranty begins where the OEM warranty ends...whenever that occurs. Yet Chrysler dealerships don't interpret this that way. They all think its simultaneous. But in writing its not. So a guy at 125,000 could have a new injection pump replaced under warranty. But so many are denied and people are duped into thinking the Engine warranty runs right along from day one.

The Dodge warranty info provided at the time of sale explicitly and in many locations states "this" is the only warranty information that will ever, under any circumstance, any conditions, or any other form of information, that will ever apply to this vehicle. No other implied or expressed warranty information applies except for this paper document. In so many words.

Yet dealerships all the time deny warranty claims based on their computers at the counter or their interpretation of what THEY think is the warranty.

Many cases have been paid for when owners PRESS the system and throw up Chryslers own words in their face...implying legal action. Chrysler knows what their manual states...but they save millions when they deny warranty and owners shrug shoulders and go home and do nothing.

Is Ford pretty good about honoring warranty, in cases with 2nd owners like me? Do they honor their promises they made in writing unlike Dodge who loves to get out of it?

I feel that after so many miles, bugs get worked out and they'll last. But if I need injectors at 95,000 miles...who's paying? I can't afford repairs in the thousands which seems to be the norm on these things.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:29 AM

The 5 year 100K on the engine starts when the vehical is purchased new. That warranty will transfer to a new owner. I'm pretty sure that they would honor the injectors if they needed to be replaced as long as it is under the 5 years and below 100k miles, though the warranty would most likely be voided if you've done some major mods.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:55 AM

I have no needs for mods. Only reliability and durability. So I'm going to do my absolute best to find a stock truck. It will get looked at top to bottom, inside out etc. I will verify the warranty is intact by Ford and get that in writing before I buy it. Otherwise simply no deal. Thats kinda why I was hoping to get one from a Ford Dealership.

I guess the Powerstroke is considered a Ford Engine...and thus warranty begins on day one. Unlike Dodges which consider the Cummins something non-Chrysler. Thus the seperate warranties running concurrently.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil View Post
I guess I should also say that I'm familiar with Dodge Cummins trucks. For years their warranty literature has legally stated that the Cummins Engine warranty runs concurrent ( NOT simultaneous) with the OEM Dodge bumper to bumper warranty. Meaning that it's 100K warranty begins where the OEM warranty ends...whenever that occurs. Yet Chrysler dealerships don't interpret this that way. They all think its simultaneous. But in writing its not. So a guy at 125,000 could have a new injection pump replaced under warranty. But so many are denied and people are duped into thinking the Engine warranty runs right along from day one.

The Dodge warranty info provided at the time of sale explicitly and in many locations states "this" is the only warranty information that will ever, under any circumstance, any conditions, or any other form of information, that will ever apply to this vehicle. No other implied or expressed warranty information applies except for this paper document. In so many words.

Yet dealerships all the time deny warranty claims based on their computers at the counter or their interpretation of what THEY think is the warranty.

Many cases have been paid for when owners PRESS the system and throw up Chryslers own words in their face...implying legal action. Chrysler knows what their manual states...but they save millions when they deny warranty and owners shrug shoulders and go home and do nothing.

Is Ford pretty good about honoring warranty, in cases with 2nd owners like me? Do they honor their promises they made in writing unlike Dodge who loves to get out of it?

I feel that after so many miles, bugs get worked out and they'll last. But if I need injectors at 95,000 miles...who's paying? I can't afford repairs in the thousands which seems to be the norm on these things.
If it says concurrently, then that does mean simultaneously: concurrent - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Or did you mean it says consecutively? That's a pretty important differentiation for a warranty or if you're serving time. LOL

On any Ford diesel truck sold between 2004 and 2006, you've got a 3/36 bumper to bumper and a 5/100 warranty on the engine only. If something breaks on the engine before 100k, you're pretty likely to get it fixed unless you have some mods on it that get you denied. Even if that happens, there are dealers that will still take care of you. The main risk you run on a truck a few years old are trans and drivetrain problems. The 3/36 warranty really sucks. In July of 06, Ford started a 5/60 warranty on the powertrain, so I think some 07 models will have that coverage too. You might want to ask Marc or one of the other techs to be sure, though.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech10002 View Post
On any Ford diesel truck sold between 2004 and 2006, you've got a 3/36 bumper to bumper and a 5/100 warranty on the engine only. If something breaks on the engine before 100k, you're pretty likely to get it fixed unless you have some mods on it that get you denied. Even if that happens, there are dealers that will still take care of you. The main risk you run on a truck a few years old are trans and drivetrain problems. The 3/36 warranty really sucks. In July of 06, Ford started a 5/60 warranty on the powertrain, so I think some 07 models will have that coverage too. You might want to ask Marc or one of the other techs to be sure, though.
That is correct....

to "easily" summerize what is covered...

Basically any componant bolted to the motor that the motor needs to run properly.........(IE...water pump is covered.....powersteering pump isnt because the motor itself can run properly without power steering) On top of that.....the intercooler....fuel pump...and a few things not bolted to the motor that it needs to run are covered too....

the base warranty and engine warranty are transferable to as many people as can own the vehicle in the time its under the warranty.....most Ford extended warranties are however not transferable to a new owner.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:36 PM

Tech10002...you are correct. I made the same mistake in wording because I kept thinking in my mind the term dealerships kept using. Concurrent is not correct.

Here is the wording from the warranty manual.

"2.6 Cummins Diesel Engine Limited Warranty - If your truck is equipped with a Cummins Diesel engine, the Cummins Diesel Engine Limited Warranty begins at the end of the 3/36 Basic Warranty period and covers and covers the cost of repairing the parts of your truck engine listed that are defective in materials, workmanship or factory preparation."

Yet few dealerships seem to understand this. Many many many people are duped into thinking it begins on day one. No way.

"THIS Warranty, together with the express Commercial Warranties are the sole and exclusive warranties made by DiamlerChrysler Motors Corporation. There are NO other warranties expressed, or implied or of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose"

And dealerships will only look at a computer and tell you your warranty is up based on mileage and they refuse to see your warranty book in front of them because their computer tells them what they want to know. Even if Mr. Chrysler tells you in a certified letter your warranty is up...it means squat because Chrysler says in two places in the manual that "THIS" warranty blah blah blah. Meaning this document in my hand.

Anyhoo...I'm satisfied with the Ford warranty as long as I know what's what before I buy. Seems pretty clear. As it should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.