Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Wife wants a PSD

2K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  bfloyd4445 
#1 ·
Went to the dealership today and was looking to buy a 03 6.0, its the blacked out 100yr addition for about 25k with 95k on the ticker. Not too sure of the 6L's, I just know when we first got them for our work trucks there were a lot of problems with them. I had them pull an OASIS for me and there were a whopping 4pgs worth of work done on it. Most of it just little things, no mechanical issues. So I either think A: Holy $hi* there's a lot of stuff done, atleast all the bugs are worked out. Or B: Holy $hi* there's a lot of stuff done, I should buy another 7.3. No offense to you sixers of course:thumb: What should I do? I noticed that it had some EGR work and a new Turbo charger put on it, so I heard that's two of the biggest issues with these rigs. Any advice would be greatful. Also, should I purchase an extended warranty for it? Build date was APR/03 Thanks in advance.

#5 ·
if the oasis has no mechanical issues.....then i wouldnt worry about it. Some people are just complainers about minor BS......

As far as the 6.0.....if its a truck with high milage like that (not meaning its worn out....more meaning its almost out of warranty or already is)......then the biggest fear for most is the 4-5k bill if you need to do headgaskets...

Here is the bottom line though....if your wife wont drive the piss out of it...dont buy it for her. Find a 7.3..... Ive seen more problem with "soccer mom" 6.0's than any other group driving them. If you dont open them up every chance you get then they tend to have issues with the turbo's...EGR...ETC...

I wouldnt shy away from a 6.0 in general....but if your wife wont drive it hard i wouldnt even consider it...

#7 ·
....if your wife wont drive the piss out of it...dont buy it for her....
Truer words were never spoken... :hehe:

#6 ·
I just bought my first diesel an 03 XLT350 6.0L CC with 85,500mi for $19,900. It has similar Oasis, few little things but recently the whole EGR, oil cooler system. I paid an additional $2,000 for a 3yr 36,000 mi extended warranty. I figure it made it 85,000 miles before the first common problems needed fixing hopefully it will make it another 85,000+. If not at least I have some warranty coverage.

#8 ·
I wouldnt shy away from a 6.0 in general....but if your wife wont drive it hard i wouldnt even consider it...[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your insight Marc. But I can def tell you that my wife's foot is as heavy as mine is. That's one of the reasons why we're considering buying another PS. I kinda miss mine, and I want out of driving the Honda:doh: So would you guys say stay away from this year, referring to everlearning comment. Or it should do better with adding mods?

#9 ·
I have an 03 6.0 its on turbo #3 had all the injectors repaced twice.but I bought it used with 130,000 kms on it.The turbo and an oil leak are the only thing I've done they had a heck of a time figuring out what the problem was (3 months of try this,nope that didn't fix bring it back in)but beside the old flash in it it has been a good truck.

#15 ·
Be careful what you wish for... I think April wants my truck!!!

#11 ·
BigRed, I bought an 03 with 74k on it about a year and half ago. I have roughly 91k on her now and the only problem I've ever had with it was some cold start issues. That's been cleared up now, since I finally went in and had it reflashed. If there aren't really any major problems in the oasis it might be a rig to consider, though I would try to talk the dealership down on that price. Also, if you can still get an extended warranty on it, do it just to be safe.

#16 ·
I have two good friends one with an 03 and the other an 04 that have never missed a beat in 150k each. They use them hard on the ranch and in there road building business. They are two on my reasons for buying an 07 6.0 instead of the new smogged 6.4. 03. If you look at the birthing days of the cummins you will see it had many many problems in the first few years. With the 6.0 most of the problems seem to have been licked in the first year. But then Ford ahs always been good about that kind of thing. Not sure about that 03 you found as i have never owned a Ford that had lots of problems. Could it be that the owner caused a lot of those problems? I think its great the boss wants an SD. Get her one, with all the good stuff on it. My wife gets a little too aggresive in my sd. She gets hates boom booms and rice rockets and in the sd she tends to want to just drive right over the tops of them if they get in front of her. She gave mine the name, Growler, cause she loves the sound it makes when it is woken up. We want a pix of your lady and her new truck!!<smile>

#19 ·
I appreciate everyone's input. Looks like we're going for it. Don't like the extended warranty through the dealership though, anything out there that anyone recommends. I guess I could just look online but, if anyone has this sort of thing.....Thank you all again.

#20 ·
my wife wants a PSD also, why dont you care for the xtended warranty from the dealer, i bought one for 1800.00 to me it was cheap insurance at the time, but now the mod bug is gnawing at me big time......

#21 ·
My wife wants a PSD, so my truck may be neglected for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.