Newbie MPG question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie MPG question

05 F350 6.0 Dually with 410 ratio (27K miles). I have had the truck for about a month and added a K&N intake only. While pulling a 18' enclosed tool trailer I am only seeing about 9-10 mpg. While pulling nothing I am seeing 11-12 mpg. 75% city 25% hiway.

1. Are these numbers what I should expect? (if so...... $*&^*&%^!!!)

2. Anyone with a similar truck that can give any hard data on mpg, and what they have done to improve?

3. I am completely happy with the power of the truck, and only want to mod for mpg's. (Warranty is up in April) I have done a lot of reading on this site and have decided my best options would likely be an exhaust system, an SCTtuner, and likely some gauges. Anyone have any differing opinions?

4. My initial thoughts would be to just get the tuner. If I'm not pushing the truck very hard for performance would the gauges be necesary? and is the exhaust really necesary for the full effects of the tuner to be realized?

I love the truck (except for milage), and love the site, so thanks in advance for all the knowledge that I would be struggling without.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008, 10:10 AM
SMOKE ROLLER

Welcome 2 the ORG...

I can see anywhere from 13-17 city (no towing on my highest setting) depending on how I much I keep my foot out of it...
Old 02-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Forgot to add that its a cc and that I am in MN....so really cold and winter diesel thrown into the mix
Old 02-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My friend just bought an 06 4x4 crew cab dually with 4.10 axles. I picked it up in Texas and am driving it back home for him. From what I've seen, it gets from 12-15 in town depending on how you drive it and how much idling, and it gets from mid 15s to high 17s on the road. At 80-85, it gets 15s. At 60-65 it gets in the 17s.

That is all bone stock. His programmer just came in today, so I'll know what it gets with the Sct as soon as I start my trip home.

The mileage was far worse when I first picked the truck up, but I changed the oil and went to synthetic, and I changed the fuel filters. You might try that.

Your engine warranty has a lot left on it. Powerstrokes all have a 5/100 warranty on the motor. As far as running without gauges, it's not a good idea. If you must, only run the economy tunes, and don't beat on the truck. In DJ's eco tune, I never see more than high 1100 EGTs, but I have a 4" turbo back exhaust. I bet they'd be higher with stock exhaust. You can probably get away with the stock exhaust on the low power tunes, but I'd definitely get a pyro gauge at the minimum.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:03 AM

I have a dually too. I get 17.6 on the high way not towing (65 mph). towing a two horse I get about 12-13. My mods are on my signature block. The only other thing I have done is unplug the EGR the other day.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:26 AM

If you just got the truck and your odo says 27,000 miles - how is your warranty almost up? Our PSD's have a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine - transferable to the next owner! I bought my '03 with 69,000 miles in Feb '05 and thankfully with that transferable warranty - Ford covered 6 major engine oil leaks till it hit 100,000 miles!

Keep in mind - the majority of your mileage looks to be city. Welcome to the low mileage club in that regard.

I tow a 10,000 fully enclosed box trailer (25') - V- nose front - and under load in the mountains I have averaged 9-11. On the flats maybe 12. Unloaded - my mileage is primarily highway - I get 17 - 21. I dont drive my PSD in the city unless absolutly necessary so I cant give an account of city driving.

Also consider your truck is a dually - that will put extra draw on the drivetrain equaling less mileage then a single rear axel truck.

I just changed my oil with Rotella T synthetic 5w-40 and gained 2-4mpg - amazed me - in fact - I have called my girlfriend twice in the last few days - "I got 19 on that tank" or - "I got 22mpg!!!" Really. And hand calc - the computer is close but not quite accurate.

Keep your tire pressure up - more air in the tires = less rolling resistance = better mileage.

Keep your foot out of it. Sure its fun to shut down a ricer that thinks he's all that - especially when his girlfriend is sitting next to him, but that sucks that fuel down quick.

Consider also diesels are more economical as they get tuned. More power and more economical. Exact opposite to a gas engine and way of thought. Make a gas engine more powerful and loose economy. Tune a diesel with better breathing (intake) better exhaust and tuned with a programmer and if you can still keep your foot out of all that extra power - you will gain mileage. It might take a year to reap the rewards by paying off the investment with fuel savings - but you will gain.

Jsut a few thoughts. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I appreciate the replies guys....the bumper to bumper warranty is what I was talking about. I've got the tires full, but it sounds like a synthetic oil might be a good investment as well.

I will likely get a SCT soon. What flavor do you guys recomend: livewire, xcal, economizer?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:21 AM
SMOKE ROLLER

The Livewire had some inital glitches, but I think the've worked them out by now. If you like Digital all-in-one guages like the livewire, I recommend the SCT X3 (xcal3) with tunes from DJ @ DJ's Desiel and the Edge Insight for the guages.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chremodeling View Post
05 F350 6.0 Dually with 410 ratio (27K miles). I have had the truck for about a month and added a K&N intake only. While pulling a 18' enclosed tool trailer I am only seeing about 9-10 mpg. While pulling nothing I am seeing 11-12 mpg. 75% city 25% hiway.
Some of that might be also that the engine hasn't been driven hardly any for an 05. Now I know mine is high mileage for an 05 but 25k is a truck sittin in a garage somehwere most of it's life! Good find! I would venture to say the engine is just breaking in still. I have a similar setup (see sig.) and I get 13-15 city and a solid 15 on highway. I can get 17 if it's flat and I'm at 55 but I really can't sustain it if there is any terrain change. I think you need to blow the cobwebs out of that 6.0!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

NO doubt about gettin those cobwebs out!!!! All mpg stuff aside, I havn't had this much fun in an automobile since I was 16 years old coppin' feels in the backseat. My first diesel ever and I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl.....now I just need to get those mpg numbers in-line and I'll be about as happy as a guy can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.