hooked my trailer up....... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 05:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eazenutz33
hooked my trailer up.......

....and thats as far as I got!
evidently a 2" drop hitch is NOT ideal to pull a bike trailer when you have a 6" lift and 37's

sooooooooooooooooo, what yall using for drop hitches???

this trailer is MAYBE 200-300lbs, and haul MAYBE two 450lb bikes.....so the tow rating is not crucial, but I may be pullin a small 6'x12' enclosed from Kansas City to St.Louis once a year, doubt it weighs much as a single axle holding two bikes and maybe 50 lbs of riding gear.

With that sized enclosed I shouldnt have to take my truck off of Xtreme Street should I??? towed one about that size with the same load last september and if it woulda fell off I woulda never known since the truck didnt care that it was there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2008, 05:42 AM

you shouldnt even know that trailer is behind you so no i would not turn down your tuner i tow my 20 foot boat with my edge on 2nd stage just keeping an eye on your gauges not only egt but tranny also but with that much weight i would not worry a bit
Old 02-25-2008, 05:42 AM

You're probably going to need a 10" drop. I have a 8" and it's not enough. All trailers are different so it's best to measure. Just park your trailer behind the truck. Level the trailer and measure how much more drop you need beyond the 2" you have. Here's where I got mine. I got the Alumistinger. It's more than you need (for weight) but the 8-10 drop ones are hard to find. If your sure you won't ever need over 6k. The standard mount is cheaper but you never know what trailer you might end up with down the road.
Ball Mounts and Accessories

Last edited by bigd4x4; 02-25-2008 at 05:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to eazenutz33
I wont be putting any more big loads behind my truck...just bikes or nothing! If my uncle needs his skidloader hauled or dad needs hay hauled...they're gonna have to get one of "them-there, spiffy deezals towin machinges"!

I'm sure the $40 standard 11" drop hitch would work fine for me(but the Alumistinger does look sweet!...see how my mind depletes my wallet? haha).

My last hitch like that had the 2" ball welded on from the company, and I really liked that since they steal trailers, usually with bikes in em, around here by undoing the balls and putting em on their empty hitches! I'll prolly go that route and weld the nut and ball to it once I get it tightened to the max.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:22 AM

i got a 6.5 lift on mine with the 7 3/4 drop from uhaul (my cousin used to work there, so got great prices) it works well on most everything i pull from dumps to boats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.