05 6.0 f250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 6.0 f250

Hello, been lurking the forum for a few months but finally am working on buying my next truck, currently running a gasser.
The truck: 2005 F250 crew cab short bed Lariat 6.0 118k miles. 1 owner truck, the guy has a handful of trucks seems to maintain everything very well just from what he told me he recommends I do (as well as what he already does) to keep the maintenance up on this truck.
I had always had the impression that the diesel motors were the most reliable and longest lasting motors out their, but that was the 7.3 that I had most commonly been around years ago.
Now it seems the newer diesels are great when their doing what their supposed to but the issues that are common are pretty serious.
A friend of mine got me in contact with his diesel mechanic whom told me the first thing I should check into is whether or not the egr cooler has ever been replaced, said if that leaks and you dont catch it right away your in for more problems like the turbo going bad and head gaskets blowing. So i got to searching the forum and everyone seems to say either do a egr delete or install the "bulletproof" egr cooler? Im just playing the devils advocate to myself---Seems like if I buy this truck and want it to stay nice I almost immediately am going to be throwing a bunch of money right into as a precaution because of this issue? Also any other issues i need to be aware of? Im really wanting the diesel truck but having only gas vehicle experience very cautious about the purchase. ONly issue ive ever had with my gas truck is exhuast manifolds leaking and a coil pack.

Last edited by justin06; 03-03-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 08:22 AM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Now it seems the newer diesels are great when their doing what their supposed to but the issues that are common are pretty serious.

Unfortunately, that's the same across the board for any new engine. With all the extra stuff on engines now for emissions, its a bear to get to any hard parts that might fail and the labor cost adds up quick.

A friend of mine got me in contact with his diesel mechanic whom told me the first thing I should check into is whether or not the egr cooler has ever been replaced, said if that leaks and you dont catch it right away your in for more problems like the turbo going bad and head gaskets blowing. So i got to searching the forum and everyone seems to say either do a egr delete or install the "bulletproof" egr cooler?

Yes if it's leaking it needs to be replaced sooner rather than later or you rish hydrolocking the engine among other problems. There are telltale signs though that its leaking. White smoke that smells sweet on startup, coolant disappearing from the degas bottle, coolant puking out the degas bottle...etc, etc. If you check out the stickys, there's tons of good diagnosing information. It doesn't just leak and cause problems all at once....there's signs, you just have to know what to look for.

The "bulletproof" egr cooler is a fantastic piece of equipment. More reliable than stock due to its construction and design.....a little spendy.....but you get what you pay for. They also have an oil cooler kit that fixes a lot of problems, but again its spendy. You don't need to go and put these things in right away unless 1) You need them due to the stock parts failing or 2) You want to.

BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0

Im just playing the devils advocate to myself---Seems like if I buy this truck and want it to stay nice I almost immediately am going to be throwing a bunch of money right into as a precaution because of this issue?

Not neccessarily true. If you want it to stay nice, first thing to do is get a monitor of some sort. A scangauge is a cheap option, the Edge CTS is a common option....anything that's going to give you readouts of specific parameters is going to help alot. As you probably have already found, you want to check the deltas (difference) between the EOT (engine oil temperature) and ECT (engine coolant temperature). At operating temperature at cruising speed, high deltas (over 15 degrees) are your telltale sign that the oil cooler is probably failing. This lets you save up money and plan for the problem BEFORE it leaves you on the side of the road....like I said, it's all about knowing what to look for. Other good things to keep an eye on are your FICM voltage (Fuel Injection Control Module), this needs to be at or above 48 volts or you may start having injector problems. The monitor will help you find out what you need and when you need it so you don't blindly start throwing money and parts at a problem you may not even have

Also any other issues i need to be aware of? Im really wanting the diesel truck but having only gas vehicle experience very cautious about the purchase. ONly issue ive ever had with my gas truck is exhuast manifolds leaking and a coil pack.

Head gaskets are a common failure due to the factory using TTY (torque-to-yield) head bolts that stretch under high cylinder pressures. When the head gasket leaks, you get the signs like coolant puking out the degas bottle.

Oil cooler plugging due to silicates in the coolant that heat up when they pass through the EGR and drop out into the oil cooler. This can be prevented by installing a coolant filter system, and will show you its on its way out when you start getting those high deltas.

Sensors and the turbo may need to be cleaned every now and then if you idle a lot.

Any big problem can be solved/prevented with the right maintenance, monitoring, and mindset. However, you have to know what you're looking for and I hope this helps you. These guys helped me know what to look for when I was looking for my 6.0, and I found a great truck at a steal of a deal because of it. Hope this helps, feel free to ask if you have any questions.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Appreciate that, the guy is about a 10 hour drive away from me so im awaiting pictures of EVERYTHING so I can see exactly what i am looking at- since if I go that far I am fairly well committed to purchasing it. His bottom line price is $15k which to me seems excellent.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:56 PM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow, 10 hours is aways away. Yeah, price sounds good, I paid 18k for the one in my sig last year. It's an '05 and had just shy of 114k on it when I bought it. If you don't have one of your own, see if you can rent/beg/borrow/steal some sort of scanner to take with you....finding out those deltas would be hugely beneficial to you before you buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.