Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.0 diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.0 diesel

Can anyone help me to try and make an informed decision. I am looking at a SuperDuty 04 with the 6.0 diesel engine but one person told me that Ford had a lot of problems with that engine..mainly heads..but another mechanic and friend of mine said he didn't know of too many problems but some recalls early on..with wiring, injectors etc..Is this engine made by Navistar? I do not see "Power Stroke" on the side of the fender of this pickup like I have seen on others..Are there different engines that they put in trucks..I would sure like some insight on it..and how about maintenance down the road..The mechanic also said there were problems keeping the injectors clean due to the sulphur being taken out of the diesel fuel..but that you could buy additives..which of course run up the price. Any information you can can provide, I would appreciate. Right now, I told the salesman that I was backing out of it for now until I could find out more about it..and just don't want to be chasing it with repair bills later. Thanks Clark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The 6.0 is made by navistar and there should be powerstroke badges on the doors of the truck below the mirrors. I have the 6liter in an 05 350 and an 05 550 and have had no problems so far. Everything that I have heard bad about the engine is if you chip and really pour the power to it, that is when the heads start to lift. The enigne has as much power as i have ever needed, and if you cut the muffler off it sounds real sweet.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
to the ORG!! As far as the problems with the 6er way over done. I bought mine on the cheap do to it being a Ford buyback. I have put more hard miles on it in the year that I have owned it than the previous owner did in the 2 years they owned it. That being said my Mom owns an '03 high miles but babied with limited problems. I would recommend getting an OASIS report prior to pulling th trigger. If you need a couple of examples I have them.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:10 AM

Smile One 6.0 that was built to last

I have had an '03 from new. She has 46K on her now. I have used her for just about everything, pleasure, hualing 6K+, towing 15K+,etc. I have not had anything done besides maintenance except for 2 recalls. I have played around with chips, exhaust, stacks, air filters, etc. I still have not made a final decision on want mods I am going to stay with. Do not believe all the horror stories you hear about the 6.0. Like anything else some of them are more manmade than factory.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Recently I just bought a used '07 F250 with the 6.0. I too was aware of the issues many have faced with this engine, so I did my research and settled on one with a clean OASIS report that any Ford Service Dept can run using the VIN number. I also spend the $29 for 30 days of CarFax. The truck came back clear on the OASIS meaning no warranty claims have been submitted as did the CarFax. The Carfax was helpful in gaining insight on who owned it and the title histor. Knowledge is power

FYI, you may missing the Powerstroke stickers because the doors were repainted.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the help

Thanks for the reply..I will check on the oasis report..The dealer said they could pull the records for me..I have also checked the recalls for this particular vin number and none were found. I've never had a diesel before and just don't want it to be come a money pit and shop queen. The powerstroke decals are probably on there..I may have just missed them but if they are gone and like you mentioned, maybe the doors have been repainted, that may present other problems...I'm going out later today and revisit it. They are asking 22900 for an 04 xlt with 44000 miles..They are claiming it is a bargain and reduced from 27...I don't plan to pay near that much and if they don't budge much, looks like I won't get the truck. Oh well, I keep looking. thanks again: Clark
Old 01-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

An '04 with 44k is really really low. I came across an '06 4x4 XLT with only 12,600 miles that was locally purchased and owned according to CarFAX. The truck had the basic XLT package,diesel, Tow Command, and electronic 4x4 shift. The dealer was asking $35.6, got the impression that bottom line was in the low $34 range. Just some ammo for you.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:18 AM

Story I've heard is that there were some issues in 03 and 04, but they were sorted out by 05. Incorrect torque on the head bolts, I believe, which led to burned head gaskets. OTOH, there are plenty of 03 and 04 owners around here who have had nothing but good service. That's the internet for you, people eager to blow anything out of porportion.

In general, it's considered a good idea to have the head bolts on the 6.0 replaced with studs if you're going to boost the power. Keep in mind that the 6.0 is already hotrodded stock - produces 325hp. My 06 has enough power to keep me happy, so I'm not concerned. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

OASIS should show if serious work was done on the truck you're looking at. Had that run on my 06, and it showed two injectors replaced and EGR cleaned at 50k miles. Overall, I've been very happy with my F350. Rides smooth, pulls strong, easy on the fuel, and the KR leather interior makes a Navigator look cheap.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:54 PM

I have an 04 BuyBack and the major work done to correct the prior owners complaint prior to being sold again as the Turbo and the icp with wireing fix. Actualy that sounded great to me. Here I sit now with 22k miles in the last 9 months and I work it and commute with it. Use an additive and change fuel filters and do the reg maint and no issues. Well the Glow Plug buss bars leaked a little so I had them replaced under warranty. I love this truck and you won't be able to pry it from my cold dead hands. Just use the other advice found like Oasis report. As for Price it isn't bad. I paid 26,9 for mine last march with 34k miles and a 12/12 btb warranty due to the buy back and the original engine warranty remaining.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Diesels over all are more reliable do to less RPM and less heat being generated. The Ford Service Writer ( who I have working with for over 7yrs) has told me most of the 6.0 bugs have been worked out by late '05 early '06. With most of the bugs coming from all the emission / clean burning crap. Although all the issues have caused Ford and Navistar to split apart. Issue are now starting to surface with the twin turbos on the new Ford built 6.4L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.