Feedback from 6.0 6sp. owners - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Feedback from 6.0 6sp. owners

I would like to here some feedback if you have a 6.0 with a 6sp. with the 3.73 axle.

Mine seems to be a dog at both take off and pulling hills with say 5000lbs. and up. My gooseneck loaded weighs around 11,500 and from a stop I almost have to start in low to go. If I start in 1st with a little throttle it bogs for about 3 seconds then starts to pick up. I am all stock except air intake and strait exhaust.

Any feedback is appricated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yea mine was pretty doggie to at first but I got a SCT from Eric at innovative diesel and it made a world of diffrence when I pull a trailer. I weigh around 15,000lbs with the trailer I have and there is some pretty good grades around here and I can pull them at 65-70 with ease. The one thing with these that you have to remember they make their power on the top end, and with having such tall gears it takes a little to get the turbo spooled when you take off. I generally start off in low when pulling just to make it easier on the drivetrain and get the turbo to spool. Hope my useless info helps.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

Hey, its not useless at all, I am glad to hear that maybe its not just not my truck. I had automatic Powerstrokes before, all 7.3 and drove a 97 with a 5sp and was impressed with it. Then when I wanted a brand new truck I wanted a manual, sticks are better, well not in the 6.0. Wish, oh how I wish I would have got a automatic now. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the reply!!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:56 PM

I haven't towed with mine yet, but a programmer helps out a lot on the bottom end and gets the turbo spooled up quicker.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

Love your user name!! Yea mine sucks on low end power and the turbo lag, takes a week to get the turbo spoolin.Then if your in traffic you have fingers flying and horns a blowin. Guess thats a good time to roll some coal so they cant see, that lal slow them down!!:burnout
Old 01-04-2008, 05:21 PM

My truck is a dog when pulling and screams. My brothers 03 6spd. out pulls my truck and it's just over all nicer. His truck is completly stock. 03 6.0 F350 s/c l/b fx4 3.73 with wide 33's.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

Back in late 05 or 06, me and my buddy both had goosenecks hooked up with 200 square bales each and his 2000 Chevy 3500 6.5 with 5sp could walk away from me, you talk about major I even drove his with that load in the field and could tell a difference over mine. Needless to say I was a little upset!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:46 PM

Well i just came down from Canada to Florida, over 2000 Miles, with a 12000LBS 5th wheel. I do have to take off on low and not in 1st. It stalls if the Gear is to high. Well Talk about a problem when a Ford Stalls in trafic. I find that the Engine vibrate a lot on lower gears. and the Overdrive has as much power then the Drive gear has on flat roads. After 2200 RPM I usualy shift up to Overdrive. Might be that the torque realy drops fast after 2200RPM. I averaged 10 MPG.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:58 PM

I have a 550 at work so it has like 4.56 or 4.88 I forgot. the truck weights about 4000lbs more than the stand psd standard cab plus a 15000 lbs trailer its a dog since day 1. Litterial takes about 2 miles to hit 82mph were she tops out at, and if you go over a over pass the speed drop down to 70 and you have to start all over again. Also I too have to start in low gear everytime otherwise you have to ride the clutch bad.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:14 PM

We have had 4 6spds on our ranch, all were 7.3's, but if you had any kind if a load you almost always had to start out in low. They will pull a house in low and they are great mountain creepers in low also! We only have one 6spd left, had a lot of trouble with Ford clutches, put LUK's in them all and never touched them again. I had a friend with a 6.0 6spd and I think it was a lot worse about needing low than the 7.3's. Good tough tranny, just needs after market clutch in it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.