Red Fuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 06:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red Fuel

I know it is a no no to run red fuel in anything but farm trucks, but will it hurt the 6.0? Mine is an 07 and i used some in a pinch, just wondering it that will hurt my truck or not... I know the 07 needs a higher grade diesel, so i have been told anyway... just looking for some input from anyone who may know!!
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 06:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedevil View Post
I know it is a no no to run red fuel in anything but farm trucks, but will it hurt the 6.0? Mine is an 07 and i used some in a pinch, just wondering it that will hurt my truck or not... I know the 07 needs a higher grade diesel, so i have been told anyway... just looking for some input from anyone who may know!!
Thank you
no.....it wont hurt anything on an 07......other than putting the dye in your fuel system that takes quite a while to get out and will show up if you get dipped......
Old 01-04-2008, 06:50 AM

I believe in most, if not all cases.
Red "off road" fuel is simply regular diesel fuel dyed.
Same as "on road" as far as properties.
Just dyed to be able to regulate who is running taxed fuel and who is not.

Hopefully someone can confirm this for us.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:54 AM

It should be the same, after most hurricanes down here in florida all the stations are allowed to use red dye fuel and sell to the normal public I run it all the time in my truck when its legally aviable, but I have a 06.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:40 PM

ok new information I found red dye is normally at 3500ppm sulfur while it is allowed up to 5000ppm
Old 01-04-2008, 12:52 PM

Yeah, that's something that pretty much kills the ideas of red fuel staining your truck forever and you getting fined years later for just having traces of it. I've read so many stories online saying that.

I have family in Louisiana, and red diesel fuel was all that was available for months after hurricane Rita. I guess the 10s of thousands of people with diesels there are going to jail. LOL
Old 01-04-2008, 01:05 PM

Ive never been able to pull fuel out of the tank so how do they dip your tank? There is like a check valve or something that stops stuff from going in without alot of pressure and it will sure rip off any cloth they try to pull back out. By the way how do they get permission to check your fuel if you dont allow it??? I have a class a cdl and never been dipped or asked Ive never signed a consent form to allow such things anyway plus gas stations use it in florida after storms if there is no other way to get fuel you can always say that stained your tank!

Last edited by powerstroken325hp; 01-04-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:24 PM

considering i live in AZ, in the city I am not too concerned with running it as the cops here will not look for it... and the red fuel i got was free as well as the rest I may be able to get. I am sure in other farming communities or rural areas of such type it may be more common to have your tank dipped, i think my chances are pretty low. I will just find out the fine first just in case lol thanks all
Old 01-04-2008, 02:31 PM

I live in a rural area of Kentucky where there are farms as far as you can see, and there are diesels everywhere. I have never heard of anyone getting dipped I know personally--ever. My cousin lives in Louisiana where there's tons of farming, and he nor any of his friends has ever been dipped. My uncle is a commercial truck driver. He nor any of his fellow drivers he's asked has ever been checked, even at DOT truck inspection stations. I asked him about this exact thing a few months ago, so he asked his friends.

The only place I've ever read of anyone getting checked was online, and most of those posts involved things like livestock shows or truck races. Maybe they do it more in other areas than ones I have experience with, but I just don't think it's that common at all to get checked.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 PM

It is so unlaw for a officer to check your tank I dont believe checking fuel tanks is in part of the patriot act, so therfore a warrant with reasonable cause would be need or your consent. Plus if it ever did happen I would throw whatever kind of material in my tank after to get sucked up and starve the fuel to the engine untill it ran lean and blows up just so I could sue. There is to many liability issues for police department to just check your fuel think about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.