Short trips bad for diesel engine ???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Short trips bad for diesel engine ????

OK - I'm in my first diesel ( 2007 F250 ). I've always wanted a diesel but never really had the guts to step up to the plate. Now that I have, I've had reoccuring conversations with people about how my driving ( I'm a landscaper so much of my driving is city and for short trips less than 10 miles ) is bad for a diesel engine. I'm being told that diesel engines are designed to be run mainly highway and towing and not to be used for primarily city type driving. My argument has always been if diesels are designed for open road driving only, then why do other manufacturers make cars with diesel engines ( VW always comes to mind ) that are going to be used primarily as grocery getters and see primarily city miles. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 09:42 PM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
just the extra money it takes to own a diesel is one thing! it takes twice the oil in a oil change and up keep is lots more expensive. i hate discouraging a diesel owner but if u dont pull or go on good trips and just are in the city i dont see y u need it. little overkill if u ask me but maybe u do more things than what i am thinking of. just my two pennies
Old 01-02-2008, 09:48 PM
cj41foleyisathief

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just don't hammer the hell out of it on short trips. The turbo does not like to shut down when it's glowing red.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Augh Fooey. Don't be discouraged from owning ur diesel. Look at it like this, if you ever need the power, you got it. You may never need it, but the one time you do, you'll be glad u got it. I do both short hops and long trips and no problem w/ wear and tire ever. My previous was a '96 w/ 140K and never any trouble w/ it.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Banned

k.....there are some misconceptions in your statement....and some truths....

Diesels in general (just the theory behind the motor) isnt restricted to any driving type. All diesels however are not created the same. There are different turbo systems, some are intercooled, some are direct injection, some are indirect......some have common rail direct injection while some are actuated with high pressure oil......there are just so many different variables....

I will focus on your truck. The 6.0 is a good motor.......WAY better than most people give it credit for. The one thing i will say about 6.0's though...is that the ones that have the most problems are the ones that get driven on short trips and also the ones that dont get driven hard....

When i say short trip...im not talking about 500 miles....im just talking about the 15-25 miles or so it takes to get the condensation out of the turbo, oil...etc..... The average trip for the motor should be over 25-30 miles to prevent condensation from hurting particular parts of the motor and the motor systems...

when i say driven hard.....These motors are meant to be worked.....pull trailers...etc. If you arent working it like that...you should get on it when you can. I know it hurts the fuel economy...but in the end the motor will thank you for doing it by not breaking down. If you dont get on it and allow it to open up when you can....the turbo will get carbon deposits and it will start sticking. Thats the same thing that happens if condensation is in the turbo.....only instead of carbon getting in it...its rust that causes it to stick...
Old 01-02-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstroker_2002 View Post
just the extra money it takes to own a diesel is one thing! it takes twice the oil in a oil change and up keep is lots more expensive. i hate discouraging a diesel owner but if u dont pull or go on good trips and just are in the city i dont see y u need it. little overkill if u ask me but maybe u do more things than what i am thinking of. just my two pennies
He could be a gardner with a trailer with a bunch of mowers. Most likely you have the combo thing on the door (I'm having a brain fart). What you could do is just leave your truck running and lock it. I lock my truck all the time when it's running and then when it's time to go push some buttons get in and go.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
k.....there are some misconceptions in your statement....and some truths....

Diesels in general (just the theory behind the motor) isnt restricted to any driving type. All diesels however are not created the same. There are different turbo systems, some are intercooled, some are direct injection, some are indirect......some have common rail direct injection while some are actuated with high pressure oil......there are just so many different variables....

I will focus on your truck. The 6.0 is a good motor.......WAY better than most people give it credit for. The one thing i will say about 6.0's though...is that the ones that have the most problems are the ones that get driven on short trips and also the ones that dont get driven hard....

When i say short trip...im not talking about 500 miles....im just talking about the 15-25 miles or so it takes to get the condensation out of the turbo, oil...etc..... The average trip for the motor should be over 25-30 miles to prevent condensation from hurting particular parts of the motor and the motor systems...

when i say driven hard.....These motors are meant to be worked.....pull trailers...etc. If you arent working it like that...you should get on it when you can. I know it hurts the fuel economy...but in the end the motor will thank you for doing it by not breaking down. If you dont get on it and allow it to open up when you can....the turbo will get carbon deposits and it will start sticking. Thats the same thing that happens if condensation is in the turbo.....only instead of carbon getting in it...its rust that causes it to stick...
what about the 7.3 in this case?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-350MAN View Post
what about the 7.3 in this case?
7.3's are more tolerant of shorter trips because of the conventional turbo...but ANY motor should be run long enough when you can to burn the condensation out of it...so when you can run any motor...gasser or diesel....at least 20 minutes...

this isnt to say every time...but more like 6 out of ten trips or so just to make it simple numbers wise...
Old 01-02-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
7.3's are more tolerant of shorter trips because of the conventional turbo...but ANY motor should be run long enough when you can to burn the condensation out of it...so when you can run any motor...gasser or diesel....at least 20 minutes...

this isnt to say every time...but more like 6 out of ten trips or so just to make it simple numbers wise...
Thanks Marc..
Old 01-02-2008, 11:18 PM

ok the company i work for has about 300+ 6.0 diesels in the fleet. About 200 of them have been sent back for oil cooler egr cooler problems or head gaskets ac problems PCM harness problems starter going out left and right. Every single one of them has less than 35000 miles and I would say 200 of them being 2004s 50 of them being 05s and the rest 06 and 07 all of them being manuals. I work for a utility contractor so they get beat to **** and 75 percent of them have 4000lbs of wire on them and a 15000lbs trailer being towed every day. The thing I will tell you that kills them is idling that is the worst on the 6.0 its just not like the older diesels they start to miss and have hard starting issues and the heat kills the starters. I personally have a 2006 i bought back in aug of 2006 currently I have 40102 miles on it I drive the **** out of it floor it every where I run every kind of diesel from any station in it and change the oil every 5000 to 7500 miles never had a problem accept when I first bought it the battery was dead and the tune in the computer was lost the guages didnt work and the truck wouldnt break 60mph no matter how hard you tried. Best advice I can say to you is warm it up every morning dont beat on it cold once it warms just drive it normal with a few occasional trips to max boost. Im just tired of people saying you can beat the **** out of these engines and they run better yes they like to be cleaned out but dont abuse the thing. Oh and on a side note of course a mercedes or vw diesel is going to run for ever they make like 40 hp and 160 ftlbs of tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.