Kerosene BOOST! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Kerosene BOOST!

As some of you know, I run my truck on 100% bio-diesel that my dad brews. Well bio-diesel and cold weather don't get along to well with each other and it's suppose to be pretty cold here for the next few days. I had about a half a tank of bio fuel in my tank last night and decided I better stop by and put a few gallons of Kerosene in to keep it from gelling up. WOW! It's like freakin 112 octane in a gas engine. Some say it doesn't make a difference but I swear it does! My dad agrees with me also. You can bet the next time I go to the track to try and get a better time I'll have a few gallons of Kerosene in the tank. My truck's hasn't been feeling as strong as it use to but it does now. Heck I might start running a few gallons all the time. Will that hurt anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

I suppose if you run a few gallons mixed it would be okay? I know kerosene doesn't lubricate very well I think. Good question be interesting to see what everyone says.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Sciulli
Well B100(so as long as its FAME or FAEE derivied) is going to yield you about 130,000 BTU /gallon while no.2(non winter) is going to give you about 140,000 BTU/gallon. Kero is about 134,000 BTU/gallon... so your gaining slight amount of BTU's... so your thinking may be correct. Since ULSD is complete crap, they cut it with kero for winter times(LSD is done that way too). You shouldn't hurt anything, but I would only use a few gallons at a time. no.2 is going to be your best bet in terms of power.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:40 AM
<b>Premium Member</b>

I've been wondering this for awhile, because I was thinking about using it as an additive about 6 months ago, but was told not to by another member, said it'd destroy the engine.
So is it okay to run a cuople gallons of Kero in No2 or would that be overkill?

-BG06.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to Sciulli
As to an exact amount... I'm not sure.... All I know is they cut diesel with it to make winter blened fuel. They use either kero or no.1 diesel... which is pretty much the same thing. Its like offroad fuel and heating oil(to a certian extent). My guess is that its around 10-15% or something like that. Summer grade ULSD gets squirly around 5-10 F.. so i'd say 10-15% is a pretty good estimate... Quite frankly I would rather have summer diesel and just add additives to it to keep it even keel. In really really really cold areas you have to cut diesel becuase you cannot "change" the chemical composition enough to keep it all liquid. Viscosity comes into play at some pont.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Banned

I run B20 in mine, Have had no problems with it. My truck actually runs better, smoother, and has a little more power from what I can feel. It hit 4* last night, no problems.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:45 AM

I wouldn't worry about it if I was just running b20, but with 100% bio I really don't want to take any chances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.