Amsoil is getting more and more interesting. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2007, 06:44 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Amsoil is getting more and more interesting.

I am NOT an Amsoil dealer.

Here are the numbers, decide for yourself if synthetics are the way to go for your truck. We have one of the last pre-emissions '07 6.0's made-perfect in every way.

First set of numbers are for the Ford 15-40 dino-blend juice, second for Amsoil 15-40 hd diesel and marine juice synthetic.
First change done at 700 miles or so prior to taking delivery of the rv, second done at about 3.7k miles.

Iron: 39 / 29
Silver 0 / 0
Alu 3.8 / 2.4
Chrom 2.7 / 2.4
Copper 19.5 /8.
Mag 12.9 / 17.1
Sodium 9.9 / 8.0
Nickel 1.4 / 0.7
Lead 4.4 / 2.8
Silicon 56 / 31
Tin 0.4 / 0.0
Titanium 0.0 / 0.0
Boron 29 / 9.9
Barium 11.4 / 3.4
Moly 4.8 / 4.2
Vanad 0.0 / 0.0
Zinc 1324 / 1399
Cal 2592 / 3700
Phosphorus 1230 / 1289

Please note again, that the first numbers are for dino, second for synthetic.

Currently we have Del 1 0-40 so that will be tested next, but I can already tell everyone that this is not staying in the engine as well as Amsoil or the Ford dino,very slight consumption, none at all with either the 15-40 dino or synthetic.

Last edited by robert smith; 12-30-2007 at 06:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thanks for sharing
Old 12-30-2007, 07:08 AM
Banned

I would certainly expect the break-in oil to have higher numbers than the oil at 3700 miles. By the way, nobody recommends using synthetic oil at 700 miles. You are supposed to wait until you get the motor worked in a little longer.

I don't think too many people will argue the virtues of Amsoil, but I don't think your comparison is exactly fair based on the miles at which samples were taken. How about you get over 10K on it and then start your comparisons?
Old 12-30-2007, 08:17 AM
Banned

720Deere, the first sample was the second oil change, a dino/syn 15-40 Ford oil blend.
Some feel as you, that there is a true break in period, and that synthetics must not be used prior to a certain mileage, I don't subscribe to this. If it were so would not Ford, in large type, in many languages make this clear in the manual and under the hood?

In our manual Ford states that the 'break in' period is 1000 miles, page 3-diesel supplement, and they seem to encourage more frequent changes by saying that the oil should be changed NO LATER (also in bold in the manual) than the recommended mileage.

However it is a bit complicated because the owner is advised not to use 'friction modifier compounds' or special 'break in oils' during the first few thousand miles of operation so that the piston rings can seat, implying that some period of adjustment is necessary.

The numbers are pretty clear, lower and in most instances significantly lower wear numbers after going full synthetic.

Again, factory fill changed at about 700 miles-after driven from Elkhart, IN to North Carolina, semi syn by the local Ford dealer-who said it made no difference at all if you used full or semi syn, they only had the semi, then changed by me after about 3700 miles to full Amsoil synthetic.

The note for the Amsoil states:
Normal contamination and low wear levels found...
Old 12-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Banned

I'll say it again, at 700 miles there is going to be "wear" indicated in the analysis. It would have been the same if the engine came from the factory with Amsoil or any other synthetic. You are comparing apples to oranges. Likely your next sample will be even lower with the same Amsoil. What will be the reason for that? It will be the same oil used both times.

I'm not being smart or ignorant, just pointing out that it's not a fair comparison.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Banned

720Deere, the 700 or so mile oil-original factory fill- was NOT sampled, the samples were taken from the second and third oil change.

From my perspective the results are completely revealing about the benefits of using a synthetic over non synthetic. Remember that the first sample was a synthetic blend which most certainly would offer far more protection than a straight conventional oil, agreed?

I would like to have us take the word -Amsoil-out of the equation-my sense is that this is part of the problem for you (as it used to be for me also, I in the very recent past referred to Amsoil as Scamsoil) but my beloved Del 1, full syn by Mobil, does not SEEM to be staying in the engine as well as the 15-40 Amsoil.

It will be very interesting to me when I get the results of the Del 1 next time around but even with good numbers I am sticking to Amsoil.

Twice in the past three months I have serviced equipment at two different engine builders, both old timers, one very active in vintage racing and one former NASCAR mechanic in the late '60's early- '70's, did you know that those little Offenhousers (sp?) could put out hp in the 1000 range!, both had cases of Amsoil in their immaculate shops. When asked if there was really a difference between Amsoil and the rest, both asked this question back, "what brand do you see here"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.