driveline vibration - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
driveline vibration

ok, any advice on the following.....My 2005 Crew cab FX4 started vibrating after I added 35" tires. I have added 2.5" taller springs on the front, and 3" blocks on the back to accomodate. The dealership repacked the clutching in the rear diff and also shimmed the carrier. The vibration seemed to go away, but now it has come back at speeds over 70mph. I had a custom one piece driveshaft built and removed the carrier. That also helped, but when I hit 75 mph and above, the vibration continued to get worse with more speed. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfd1064 View Post
Any ideas?
Yeah, slow down...

JK man, Welcome to the ORG
Old 12-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfd1064 View Post
ok, any advice on the following.....My 2005 Crew cab FX4 started vibrating after I added 35" tires. I have added 2.5" taller springs on the front, and 3" blocks on the back to accomodate. The dealership repacked the clutching in the rear diff and also shimmed the carrier. The vibration seemed to go away, but now it has come back at speeds over 70mph. I had a custom one piece driveshaft built and removed the carrier. That also helped, but when I hit 75 mph and above, the vibration continued to get worse with more speed. Any ideas?
when you put the block in the rear did you make sure you put it on the right direction... so that it angles the axle up a lil bit?
Old 01-01-2008, 04:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

first thing is to check your angles. without angle readings, we can't tell you squat. the vibes are un-canceled out angles. and pinions like to thrust upward under load and such a bit also. with a 1pc Ujoint/Ujoint you should have 1-2* of pinion upward. thats it. should ride awsome. but remember if your Operating angles in general are over say 10*, it's time for a CV shaft conversion. 2pc shafts are a PITA to adjust b/c you have 3 angles you are working with. and you can adjust the pinion angle by shims, or the carrier by shims. but 2pc shafts don't have as many operating rpm issues and such. thats why ford did 2pc shafts.

Last edited by JBakerFX4; 01-01-2008 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:39 AM

I have a 2006 that I just had a 4 inch BDS lift installed and they shimmed the carrier bearing and we had to keep adding more and testing it. However I still have a vib on take off up to 15 to 20 km and the shop told me that these trucks will have a vibration no matter what when lifted cuz they have a slight one stock. They also told me that basically you can get rid of it on take off, but then you'll get it at higher speeds. If anybody could help me figure out how to get rid of it completely, it would be very much appreciated as I'd like to get rid of the take off vibe before I install the Livewire and want to have some fun.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:43 AM

Are you sure its not the knobby tires causing the vibration?
Old 01-27-2008, 01:58 AM

It's definately not the tires on my truck, I'm running Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's, it's a pretty smooth tread as I do all highway and city driving. It's most definately the driveline.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:53 AM

Use a magnetic angle finder to check the angles on the Tcase output flange and on the pinion flange. Start with that. Post your angles and we'll go from there. After you have your pinion angle shimmed correctly THEN you shim the carrier until the 2pc shaft is "straight". We have a 2pc driveshaft b/c of driveline rpm speeds. you treat the 2pc shaft as a 1pc, but you get advantages of having a 2pc. Less harmonics, terminal speed at which the shaft will blow apart etc. that is why we have 2pc shafts. Vibes on these trucks are coming from incorrect pinion angles.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:59 AM

I have a 8in lift with 38s and i dont have a single vibration. But my driveline is shimed correctly. Good luck
Old 01-27-2008, 09:22 AM

I have a 2002 also and just put a 6 inch bds lift on it and i shimed the driveline and it has a vibration arounf 50 to 60 mph. Does anyone have a suggestion for me. I havnt got it aligned yet, could that be the prob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.