6.0 (not)stock - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2007, 10:10 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to One Ton Trucker
6.0 (not)stock

I have heard that the '04 6.0's are relatively reliable stock, and that they are already factory tuned pretty well; and that the reliability problems really start coming when you start putting aftermarket performance parts on before beefing it up mechanically. Is this true from your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2007, 10:12 PM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
just a 7.3 man but heres a bump for ya
Old 12-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Most everything you will hear are from NON-Powerstroke 6.0 owners, or stuff that was heard through the grape-vine. The 6.0 responds remarkeably well to aftermarket parts from reputable manufacturers. Almost all the engine management tuners that are available OFF THE SHELF deliver from 60-110 HP and 150-210 FT lbs of torque to the crank, while the 6.0 liter engine can handle this calibration, it is the torque-shift automatic tranny that will have to argue with you! I have tuned the 6.0 upwards of 550 HP wheel and the tranny has taken a crap on me after about the 5th month if I baby it. The torque is just too much. I have the stock tune from FORD available at 10-31-04 and haven't allowed any other OEM flashes. This has shown to be a stout tune. This was right after the initial complaints, so Ford dumbed the tunes and allowed for more give-n-take if you will, in the programming. I can't get a check engine light to come on if I want to. I have a custom intake that doesn't run the MAF sensor and it works better with it detached than if it was actually installed!!My EGR is functioning flawlessly and I was told to delete it by others. It works fine still to this day. MAYBE I AM LUCKY! The stock variable vain turbo has proven reliably, despite what others have reported. I have used, kits that have a non-variable and have been able to make more power with the stock turbo from Garrett! I have aslo found that a 3.5" downpipe with 3.5" tubing in the exhaust, not only makes more power, but sounds the best too if straight piped! I know other will argue with me abou thjis but my EGT's will will tell U otherwise.

Anywat tune away and see what happens! You might just like it(A LOT)
Old 12-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
powerstrokes, imo, are hit or miss. mainly hits.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to One Ton Trucker
The funny thing is that it seems like the 6.0's are bad if you ask anyone that doesn't own one. But most of the people that I talk to that actually own one are more than satisfied with thei trucks.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:34 AM

the 6.0 does sound real sweet straight piped,enough so that im suprised i havent got to chat with the local cops yet!
Old 12-24-2007, 01:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrstroke6john View Post
the 6.0 does sound real sweet straight piped,enough so that im suprised i havent got to chat with the local cops yet!
cops??..my neighbor is a cop and said my truck sounds awesome..And as far as the 6.0MG goes..Dont listen to any NON 6.0 owners..my friend is a diehard ford guy..and even a bigger diehard 7.3 owner..I almost have him coming over to the dark side of the 6.0 world mod it up man..I do, seems like my truck loves me more when i add more stuff to her

-Evan
Old 12-24-2007, 02:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBones View Post
I have tuned the 6.0 upwards of 550 HP wheel and the tranny has taken a crap on me after about the 5th month if I baby it. The torque is just too much. (A LOT)
I see you are a new member....welcome aboard. What tuner were you using to make 550 RWHP? I have seen a few guys making that kind of power on the stock 5R110 with no issues. Tranny tuning is just as important as engine tuning. It takes tuning, injectors and usually nitrous, propane or water/meth injection to reach 550 hp. Nobody is there on tuning alone. The Torqushift is by far the best available and most reliable automatic available in a diesel pickup. If you are continuing to have tranny issues at high hp levels, you may want to look into custom tuning.

As for modding a 6.0, it's always a crap shoot for any motor if you exceed the factory hp ratings by 50%. There are risks involved but there are safe ways to make power on these rigs. The most important factor is the driver. Some people could destroy a cast iron paperweight! Abuse is the number one cause of failure in both stock and tuned trucks.

The early 6.0s had some issues, but not as bad as the general public would lead you to believe. There are more satisfied 6.0 owners than there are raving lunatics that want to kill a Ford engineer. It's just natural that people with problems will be far more vocal than those who are satisfied.

If you want to lightly modify your 2004 6.0, you should be fine. Remember the key is how much you abuse them and how well you maintain them.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
i own an 04 6.0, i bought it with 260 miles on it so i am the only owner. i had all my issues with it being stock. i am on my 4th turbo, 3rd EGR valve, 2nd EBP sensor, and 2nd PCM. i then decided to go with a 4'' exhaust a set of autometer gauges, and an SCT Xcal2 tuner from DJ's, i removed my cat and have had ZERO problems. the 6.0 in my mind is a good motor, it just had to have al the bugs worked out. if you are gonna get a 6.0, then be sure to get the OASIS and go from there.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

All issues i had it was stock, so get an oasis if he didn't have major issues you should be fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwalker View Post
i own an 04 6.0, i bought it with 260 miles on it so i am the only owner. i had all my issues with it being stock. i am on my 4th turbo, 3rd EGR valve, 2nd EBP sensor, and 2nd PCM. i then decided to go with a 4'' exhaust a set of autometer gauges, and an SCT Xcal2 tuner from DJ's, i removed my cat and have had ZERO problems. the 6.0 in my mind is a good motor, it just had to have al the bugs worked out. if you are gonna get a 6.0, then be sure to get the OASIS and go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.