Originally Posted by twoicebergs
I would hold off on doing a chemical flush for this reason. Your delta is reasonable, so after a good flush and coolant change you should be good to go. I see you put a filter on it. You may find you get more years out of it or it gets worse over the next 6 months. So unless you want to rip into it now, buy the cooler and see how things progress. My delta is about 7*. However, with a tune on it and using it a bit hard, it goes up. I have a cooler, but I am going to wait it out.
The GM fellow I bought my used LLY from bought his Stage 1 from Alamo! The rebuild kits are $45 and up. They are nearly all the same, so price is market based, not quality. As I had mentioned in other posts, it is tougher to install the turbo than to clean it, or rebuild it. You have an 06, you should already have the updated turbo oil drain.
Now, for the HPO upgrades, if your pressure is good and you have no symptoms, ripping into it now might be a bit premature. However, having the parts readily available is probably more important for us in Canada due to supply chain issues.
I applaud your drive to dive right in. If this is your best time to make the changes, then by all means have fun doing it. I would suggest that if you were planning on doing the head-studs or gaskets at a later time, that you just do it all just once.
Hrm, now I'm second guessing it!
Well, I do have time to figure out if my oil cooler is going to plug. I know that my coolant HAS to go, and I was factoring that the cooler was probably going to get plugged up doing the flush. I didn't necessarily WANT to do chemical flush, and then go into the oil cooler. The truck runs good, everything is solid, boost hit 21 psi today, no visible or other coolant leaks.
I just figured I'd probably HAVE to get in there. I might give the coolant flush a try, without using any chemicals, and then fill it wil the ELC, and hope my deltas don't rise. I've read some threads where people just did a water flush and had no issues with plugging. I'd really rather wait if I could, tearing it down twice isn't something I want to do, but will do if it means peace of mind.
So folks, thoughts?
I have enough time that I can do the coolant flush and put in the ELC. Run it for a week and check my Deltas for any increases. What kind of a time frame does it usually run for getting plugged up?
Also, are there any parts that I should/can easily update if I don't tear into the motor? I'm thinkinga bout the CCV mod but many people report a noxious smell in the cabin as a result. Too much roadtripping with the wife and the little one to go that route if that will be the case.