Mutant topic from the 6.0 bashing thread - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2007, 06:00 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mutant topic from the 6.0 bashing thread

I have a '07 6.0 in a rv application and it is one of the finest engines I have ever owned, zero problems so far, its still new-under 10k miles, but no oil consumption, power to spare fantastic performing engine under incredibly adverse conditions; best part- nearly double the mileage of gassers in the same application.

Yes I know the early ones had some character, but as far as I can determine Ford did the right thing in taking care of its customers; and as I understand it at quite a financial loss as Navistar seemed to dodge alot of issues with early versions.

Some in the 'bashing' thread have nothing but bad things to say about the 6.0and I am beginning to wonder if they really own one or not, but..

A few point out that all enignes go through a development process, unfortunately at the expense of the consumer.

Some claim that Cummins is immune, some say not so, I brought up a recall and here are the details:

Sept '07 Family Motor Coaching (we are rv'ers), page 25

"Cummins Inc., has announced NHTSA recall 07E033000 which affects some recreational vehicle engines built between October 17, 2005 and April 18, 2006 with engine serial numbers ranging from 46543077 to 46603939. The potential number of engines involved is 2,159.
On certain ISL Cummins CM 850 diesel engines produced for motorhome chassis, the connecting rod contains a machining defect in the wrist pin bushing of the rod that could cause seizure of the piston pin. If allowed to progress this could lead to engine failure with the possibility of the rod rupturing the block cavity. Oil and debris on the roadway from the rupture could result in a vehicle crash.
Cummins will notify owners of vehicles that contain these engines about this defect. An authorized Cummins service center will recalibrate the engine control module with enhanced 'engine protection system. software and install a new valve cover with a crankcase pressure sensor. The enhanced engine protection logic willl provide a signal to the dash with a red light, which if a failure is imminent wtill indicate to the driver to stop the engine as soon as it can safely be done. -The- repairs expected to take approximately four hours to complete, However because of service scheduling times the service center may need the vehicle for a longer time period.
For more infomation about this recall, contact either your vehicle's manufacturer or the Cummins customer assistance center at (8003437357). The recall was expected to begine in July 2007.

Pretty clear to me, the official fix by Cummins is to do work which will only let the operator know when a catestrophic failure is in the process of happening.

If this article is accurate this is a shameful act by an irresponsible Company.

Owners or potential owners of latter year 6.0's can count on getting a great engine but more importantly can count on Ford standing behind the product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2007, 06:08 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Well don't take any of those negative 6.0 posts to heart as we can all agree to disagree on here at times. I happen to be a ford fan and like all three versions of the diesel engine ford has put in their trucks.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:21 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidle View Post
Well don't take any of those negative 6.0 posts to heart as we can all agree to disagree on here at times. I happen to be a ford fan and like all three versions of the diesel engine ford has put in their trucks.
very well put
Old 12-22-2007, 06:33 AM

robert smith...you can bash on cummins all day for that one thing you found and are holding on to. i can hold onto a dozen known problems from the 6.0 hell i can hold onto about 4 on my own dodge not including the ****ty interior. the fact of the matter is the new super duty is in another relm as far as apperence and interior from the dodge in my opinion way better! but im partial to cummins but dont have confidence in the new model any more than the 6.4. the fact of the matter is we all have opinions and views on things but to spite it all we are all in the same community (diesel power ) and its getting larger and larger every day so some are brand loyal some buy trucks for there engine but we all enjoy are trucks weather you have issues or not...if you love to drive your truck it shouldnt matter what anyone says...including me

Last edited by csixer; 12-22-2007 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:30 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my truck. Ask anyone who knows me... And I have had some problems, but now that my truck has been modified, it's much, much better.

The 05's have an updated HPOP from the 03 and 04's. It has a known problem with the o-rings on the quick disconnect. I was stranded probably 30 times because I had to wait about an hour or two for the engine to cool off in order to restart the truck. I took it to the dealership 3 different times (twice with the actual TSB) to try to get it fixed. On the third try, they finally diagnosed it correctly and since I had gone past the 36k warranty, they charged me $100. Now, since this is such a common problem, why isn't this a recall instead of just a TSB? How is that taking care of your customer?

Now, I also know about the oil and EGR cooler problems because I have had those as well. Once your EGR cooler ruptures, you WILL start dumping coolant into the cylinders and if severe enough, it will hydro-lock your engine. No TSB on this one...

I'm merely suggesting that all company's have their share of this blame, including our beloved Ford!
Old 12-22-2007, 07:47 AM

Old 12-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
as I posted in the "6.0 bashing" thread. Cummins will fix the wrist pin(aka piston pin or Gudgeon pin for you British folks out there) at no cost to owner.

There are some great Cummins motors out there, there are some crappy Cummins motors out there, there are some great 6.0s out there and there are some crappy 6.0s etc etc.

International makes a good motor from the top down. The 6.0 is a good engine, the 03/04 possibly could have used another year of R&D but you still see plenty of them rolling around out here. Another great international engines are the DT466, which seems to find its way into everything, the DT570 is another good one and there are many more.

Every Diesel engine has its ups and downs. But I can promise you there are more good diesel engines out there then bad ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.