Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

vibration is driving me nuts.

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  RiverSide 
#1 ·
l have a light vibration/drone at idle 650/750 rpm range only when the engine is hot.Sounds like it is comming from the passengers side somewhere under the hood.
sometimes it does shake/ratlle the dash slightly.
i have aligned the turbo - y-pipe - exhaust downpipe etc.
If i remove the VGT control valve the vibration is less but still there.

returned back to stock,...still there but less noticeable
street tune....noticeable
Looney tune ..very noticeable.

no mis or rough idling...truck runs perfect.

any ideas?

#2 ·
Bump,...
it,s still there.

#4 ·
Stock downpipe, no soot to be found anywhere,...just a bit on the cat delete pipe.
downpipe has lots of space between the firewall.

did a search again and came across my own post 2 years ago....funny this thing has keeping my busy for a while now.

This low drone/humming sound disappeared for a while when i used a synt 10w40 in summer.
this winter i used a synth 5w30 and archoil again cause i have a slight stiction problem,...(haven,t got the time to clean the plungers )...and this drone/vibration came back.
so wierd,...you can hear the parking coins rattle in the cupholder.
i tried to video it but i can,t catch the sound on my cam....maybe my sportscam does, i,ll give it another try.

#5 ·
I just fixed an exhaust vibration at idle. It was a drone/vibration sound only at idle. If I put my foot on the exhaust tip the vibration would quiet or go away completely. I looked everywhere for contact on the frame or anywhere and couldn't see any. After reading through a few post on here and elsewhere it was recommended to realign the down pipe. After removing the band and moving the pipe around the way I finally got it fixed was to loosen the clamp from the turbo to down pipe, loosen the down pipe to cat, start the engine (I also drove it a block), then tighten the bolt and clamp. This fixed my issue.

#6 ·
thanx,..i,ll try that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.