Rear Main Seal Leak!?!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2007, 10:27 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Rear Main Seal Leak!?!?

I just got back from the dealer, and they told me that my Rear Main Seal is leaking. I have had drops of oil all over my driveway for the past month and figured I better get it checked out. My main concern is my Edge Juice w/ Attitude voiding the warranty. They have seen it with the programmer, but they haven't said anything about it. I am on a 3 week waiting list to get this fixed, and want to know how much this would cost me if they did void the warranty! Would the rear main be covered under the 100,000 mile engine warranty?

For any Techs out there, what are the chances that the programmer caused this leak? I don't ever take it past setting #3 (Drive), and don't rag it out at all.

Oh yeah...I drive 2006 6.0L PowerStroke.

I know this is the best place to get an honest answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 10:34 AM
I don't know nuttin....

I'm no tech but I'll take a shot.
The edge isn't cause your leak, In fact I'm doubting its the rear main on an 06 in the first place unless you have a ton of miles on it. Get a second opinion from a Tech you trust.
They should not say crap about the programmer causing this issue and they won't void the warranty either...they could "Deny" this repair under warranty but they won't void the whole thing.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:44 AM

I only have 34,500 miles on it, and there aren't any techs out here that I really know well enough to trust. Would this type of repair be on the 100,000 mile engine warranty?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via MSN to tysonmathews
I'd take the chip out. I took mine down for repairs and took out my Quadzilla and got some repairs covered under the drivetrain warranty. Im sure the dealer is going to want to not cover anything if they can help it. I'd remove it and not take any chances. They keep this info in the database accessable from other dealers (Atleast this is what I was told) and if they ever find you have a chip, thay may enter this in and void your warranty. I'm sure it would be a a pretty penny. I had a '96 F-250 SD with a 460 before I traded it in for my 04 F-350 and it had a rearmain leak. It would pour out fluid like mad if it was warm and I was backing up with our RV hooked up. I'd lose about 1 cup a minute doing this. I guess reverese pumps the fuid more?? It was going to cost me $1,200 and they wanted to upsell a now Torque converter for another $600. Never got it done. just traded it in cold.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:48 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconway View Post
I only have 34,500 miles on it, and there aren't any techs out here that I really know well enough to trust. Would this type of repair be on the 100,000 mile engine warranty?
yes, you 100k mmile warranty would cover this but i doubt that is whats leaking.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:10 AM

What else could this leak be coming from? I got under the truck today with the Ford rep, and it looked to be coming from the rear main.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:17 AM
I don't know nuttin....

There are oil lines up above that area that could leak and appear to be a rear main.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:26 AM

Is there any way that I could check this myself...are there any tell tell signs that it is a rear main leak compared to a hose leak?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The proper procedure for the dealership is to add dye to the oil and have you drive it for a few days and then come back to see where it's coming from. They have a light that will show it very easily. I doubt it's the rear main seal too, but anything is possible.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

See if there is oil standing on top of the motor. Take a flashlight and look at the back of the motor. Behind fuel filter housing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.