Help!?!? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help!?!?

Ok folks...I need someone to talk sense into me...

I'm starting to give some serious thought to trading my 'Stroke in for a decent used F-150. My truck has been causing a lot of nightmares recently with the problems it's been having. It ran fine for six months after the heads, oil cooler, egr got replaced and it ended up at the dealer about 3 weeks ago for surging problems. They found a bad BARO sensor and a bad PCM, took darn near 2 weeks to get it back. Three days later, it was back in the shop because the tech at the dealer didn't realize the new PCM had the '03 program in it, which caused the truck to die at idle.

So here I am...I've got just over 250 miles on the truck since the last repair and it seems to be running fine. I'm 2k out of the factory warranty and am convinced it won't go back to the local dealer again for work (I'll take it elsewhere).

I'm also convinced that if the truck starts having problems again, I just need to get rid of it. I put a Livewire in it 3 weeks ago that I'm afraid to plug in again...in fear that it fried my computer the first time.

If I unload the truck, I figure I'll trade it in so that the next owner can't hunt me down...they'll just blame the problems on the dealer

Like I said, someone PLEASE talk some sense in to me before I do something stupid, like trade my diesel in for a gas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

I will do my best!! Hey don't trade that sucker in for a gasser!!!! In all seriousness don't make a rash decision based on what has just happend. If you really like your diesel truck then hopefully the string of bad luck has come to and end and your good to go
Old 12-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Premium Member

WHOA WHOA, easy Jim let's think this thing thru some more!! Let's not start throwing that G word around in here!! If the truck's running good now i would wait a little bit more before pulling the trigger. If it winds up taking a crap again i would still think you would be better off with another PSD. JMO.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Serving Our Country!

Angry Dangit!

So, there I was...driving home from work (early...)

About 5 miles from the office slowing for a red light, the truck darn near quit, but recovered at idle. 5 miles later as I was slowing for another light, the darn thing felt like it was going to explode! The engine was "surging" (or chattered, depends on you) between 500-1200 RPM, very rapidly, when I had the foot on the brake, and felt like it would die at any minute. I threw the trans into Neutral and held my foot on the gas, just to calm the idle down and keep it from dying in traffic.

A mile later, it started to run fine again...pulled into the driveway and it idled perfectly. Popped the hood and found nothing abnormal...let it idle for 5 minutes and never hiccupped.

Mind you, this IS NOT the first time this truck has done this, thus my original post. I was going to drive it up to South Dakota tomorrow, but will now be taking my wife's Expedition because I don't want to break down on the side of the road somewhere in Missouri or Iowa on the 1600 mile trip.

When I get back from my Xmas vacation, I'll be taking it to one of the most recommended diesel shops in Warner Robins, GA (Calhoun Auto). If they can't fix it, I'll be trading this thing in on something else...and I hope it ain't an F-150.

Any ideas as to what's causing this "surge" and rough idle? I'd bet an injector, but Ford says that everything is fine and it's NOT throwing any codes.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:39 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Hmmm... well if you trade it, trade fer another PSD!
Old 12-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Serving Our Country!

That would be ideal, but I sure as heck won't be trading for another 6.0 with all the problems I've been having. Might have to search high and low for a good, used 7.3 with fairly low mileage. But I do like the looks of them 05 and up F-150's!
Old 12-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

My buddy has an 05 Crew F-150 and he gets 13 mpg with that pig! I love the looks of the fords, but their gas engines suck!!
Old 12-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

ICP sensor maybe? A friend at work had the same issue (surging/ revving on its own) and it turned out to be a bad ICP sensor.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Banned

you'll hate yourself if you get a gasser. i know you've had soe issues with your truck, but remember they're not all like that, there are MANY people who are perfectly happy with their six liters, and i've run my 04 HARD HARD HARD and it's never given me a problem.
if you absolutely MUST get rid of it, consider a newer PSD, but even though i hate to say this, i'd get a DMAX before i get a gasser, even though the new F150 is a nice looking truck you'll be having power withdrawals and kicking yourself for getting out of a turbo diesel..

few things: i never got a code when my injectors were crappy, but when i put new ones it ran like a top, so dont think that no code means no problem.
with all the work done (as long is not the same problem repeating itself) you've got a good truck to work with and lots of new stuff to last a while..
LIVEWIRE is poop, that's no secret, but i've flashed my PCM probably a hundred times and never had it screw up with my SCT>
Old 12-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Do not get a gasser FYI ford came out with a new extended warranty you can purchase too. Talk to your dealer about it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.