Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Edge EVO tuners killing transmissions

24K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  97powerstroke turbo 
#1 ·
I've heard ever since I joined the powerstroke community that an Edge Evolution will kill your tranny, not if but when. Supposedly they don't tune the transmission at all is what is spouted by everyone it seems and of course SCT is the ONLY option if you want to have a truck that runs properly it's plastered everywhere like members are paid to say it.

I've been running an Edge Evo since I believe it was june of last year, the truck has spent almost all of that time on the extreme tune, somewhere in the range of 15k miles. The tranny doesn't slip or act odd at all like I've been told it would definitely be doing by now. I would attribute this to the fact that when changing tunes I can see the tuner build the transmission files and load them. I even posted a video of the exact process to youtube and put it here on the forum once. I'll see if I can't dig that up real quick.

Ah ha found it.

If I have yet to have a failure and you can obviously see that it does in fact tune the transmission and the emails I sent to EDGE themselves before buying the product state the transmission is in fact tuned and even better there is a transmission only tune. Why is the product still portrayed as a truck killer? Obviously things have changed since the first 6.0's were tuned using edge products and the products have evolved. Can we evolve our attitude towards products not produced by SCT?

My truck runs fantastic on all the canned tunes and yes I'm sure SCT with a custom tune would make a huge power difference but with the 23mpg I've pulled off in the econo tune with the edge I have no good reason to spring for custom tunes right now.

Long story short lets stop assuming that because a truck has been run with the EDGE Evolution on it that the transmission is toast it is not always the case.

Let me be clear in this statement though so everyone can see I'm not a total against the grain crackpot:

Trucks tuned with the older "gameboy" style edge did not tune the transmission and that will absolutely kill your tranny just like all the "shift on the fly" tuners that used to be available I don't know if there are any still on the market because of that major flaw. I know of two local trucks that had rebuilds after using the quadzilla brand tuner that offered shift on the fly and within 5k miles it was time to fix the poor transmission that got beat all to heck.

See less See more
#2 ·
Most ppl will just wait and buy custom tunes. Edge has a bad rep once u get a bad rep it hard too lose. That should be understandable. Ford owners jumped from.ford to dodge or Chevy cause of 6.0s ford cost themselves a lot of money as u don't always get those ppl back.

#4 ·
They said the same thing about the bullydog and I ran that for 200,000 miles and my tranny is still good.

#5 ·
I belive it is all in the driver...I have run bullydog superchips edge evo and platinum and diablo. I run an sct now because of the mods I have need custom tuning. I will say the bullydog felt like it had the most power out of all of them. Custom tuning is the way to go tho. The truck just seems to drive better.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#6 ·
Driver input probably helps but for the price of custom tuning nowadays to the price of some used stuff really tuning the way to go. Now the edge cts is a sweet gauge package

#8 ·
I think one thing to remember is that not all tuners did the trans. I have an original Edge Juice, before the Platinum. It doesn't have any trans tune ability. I put it on level 5 once. From a stop I got on it, when it shifted to second, the trans shifted and slipped so bad that I've never run it any higher than level 3 since. This is where they probably got the bad Rep.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#12 ·
Agreed. Why waste money if it's not the best? You won't catch me doing it. Do your research, buy what's best the FIRST time.

I also have a feeling that the "transmission files" being loaded are just raised line pressures. Nothing more.

#13 ·
Ah, the endless search for more power.

Bottom line is that anytime you increase power to any engine, you will stress out other components. If not the tranny, the axles, driveline, ring gear, etc. The age of those components as well as maintenance history and driving style will determine what breaks. Yes, early Edge didn't tune the tranny. Who's tuning the ring gear in the differential? Should we blame SCT or Edge if we break it? Of course not. Edge didn't deserve the bad PR anymore than Holley should get bad PR because that dual quad rips out trannies if the owner doesn't build it. It's all operator error in the quest for power....

#15 ·
But why not safeguard what you can? That's like putting motor oil in the transmission and saying, "Oh well, it's going to break eventually anyways!"

Bottom line, a programmer shouldn't be tearing up 5R's. This transmission has been proven to hold 700 HP in stock form. The 5R can hold 400 without even breaking a sweat... With proper tuning. Bully Dog and Edge ruined a lot of 5R's.

#14 ·
Very true but transmission file should do more than line pressure. Edge isn't the only 1 and really I hear more about transmissions than any other thing. Also Holleys only make decent power at wot

#16 ·
Exactly that's what I'm saying if they can handle that much now yes it is a timebomb but still thats tuning at its best. I'll pay that for great tuning

#17 ·
My uncle Has a 6.0 dually exhaust turbo egr delete . Ran a edge in it liked the power but destroyed 2 stock 5rs and 1 fairly built 1 converter clutches and stuff. I recommended before custom tuning and my cousin his son said no it costs to much . My response was not as much as a transmission

#19 ·
Nobody has mentioned the garbage an edge or bullydog leaves on your computer in the form of artifacts. SCT is a very clean way of tuning. That alone would keep me from ever putting any of the other garbage on my truck vs. SCT

Also will the bullydog or edge blow your trans - I have no real opinion on that just read a couple havent a bunch have - the bottom line is SCT is a superior tuning method that has advantages 10 fold over shift on the fly units. The decision should be simple?

Just my .02

#20 ·
Yoir statements are not true. I ran bullydog for over 200,000 miles running the crap out of it.....still on stock original trans.

#23 ·
Yeah, white69rt is right. Just because it worked for you, doesn't mean it works for everybody. Heck, I know people that run ATF in their fuel. They haven't had any issues... YET, but does it mean I'm going to do it? Heck no, because I know better. Same applies here.

I've heard of several transmission failures with Bully Dog. And the Bully Dog has proven time and time again to corrupt the stock tunes when the programmer is removed.

#25 ·
Any tuner will trash a transmission if you don't let it relearn. It happens with the others more commonly becasue people install them, set them to hot and instantly hammer the crap out of the truck. Even, if the tuner doesn't tune the tranny, resetting it and letting it realearn will do the same thing, it can figure out on its own what to do if you do it right.

Other than that, sct, efi live, and mcc are for the people who actually want more than just a tuner alone.

#26 ·
It will relearn, but it will still not have a trans tune set up to hold the power.

It won't magically learn how to handle the power if you let it relearn, you're wrong there. Notice how the SCT still requires a trans relearn.

The factory trans tune SUCKS, and if you add power to it, you're asking for trouble.

#27 ·
My tunes on my sct do NOT require a relearn.

#29 ·
Like i said above, i have the First Gen Edge Juice w/ Attitude,(no trans tune). It has been great, as long as i dont set to level 4 or 5. With that being said, i have a Locked/Married SCT tuner sitting on the shelf, just waiting for some spare money to send it off to get unlocked and get custom tunes.

No matter how much you like a Canned tuner, a PROPER custom tune will make more power...

#30 ·
I love my tuning I've hammered on my truck and I run it hard but it never even complains

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.