? about a SS exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
? about a SS exhaust

so i installed my buddies exhaust today and noticed that where the back end of the muffler and the pipe come together slips a little bit, meaning i can grab the exhaust tip and move it up and down a bit. i have the clamps super tight, so tight that i can see grooves from where the clamps were originally placed but i am wondering how much tighter i have to get them to prevent this, i dont want to break the clamps. i would hate to have him drive away and end up dragging the tip on the pavement, i dont thnk it would happen but you never know. i have tried loosening and retightening the pipes but it still wants to move. i dont have access to a welder either. this is wierd for me to ask as i am a very capable mechanic but i am a little stumped on how to stop the movement in the pipes. i didnt have this issue with my aluminized kit so i am not sure on what i can do to remedy this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

hey i had the same prob when i took the mbrp muff off and put the delete on mines ss too. mine was also the rear clamp too. ok the prob is that on the flared part of the muff the closer you get to the muff its really hardened steel alls you need to do is slide the clamp farther down away from the muff essentially where it has the 4 slits cut those slits are there so when you do bolt it tight it can bend to have a tight fit on the exhaust piping but yes i had the EXACT SAME problem
Old 12-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
there are no slits in it and i am not gonna take it back apart to do this. i spent all day today on something that should have taken me about 4 hours to do. i had to take his factory downpipe and have it rewelded and then remove the AFE DP and reinstall his factory DP just to make it driveable for him, cause the AFE downpipe was welded wrong so it wouldnt fit properly. my buddy is gonna come and get the truck at around 10 tomorrow. i thought about putting some heat to it to help make the steel a little more flexible, maybe that will work.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:56 PM

wow ive never heard of this much trouble first what exhaust pipe he buy? mines a 96 and on the dp alls we had to do was get the fw back i didnt have any fitting probs with the dp
Old 12-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

the DP was welded off center. they moved it in the jig or something, when its installed and clamped, the DP outlet points at the Tranny, not down the frame rail like its supposed to. i talked to the REP at AFE today and they are sending me a new one for him.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:16 PM

wow wait they welded the dp to the turbo?????? mine is clamped nothin is welded on my system it works just fine
Old 12-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

no it wasnt welded to the turbo, the way the DP was welded when being manufactured. it wasnt set right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.