Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

The NEW BPD Remote Oil Cooler Kit!!

18K views 158 replies 39 participants last post by  portcity_gt 
#1 ·
Well the new BPD Remote Oil Cooler Kit showed up today that I will be installing on my buddy's truck when we do his head gaskets and studs here soon. We will get a build thread put together as he wants to get it studded and deleted and a mild build on it while it's apart. I'll link that thread here when we get started.

For now here is what everyone has been waiting for!!

What do you think??

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks awesome. So by the looks of it this one will retain the oem filter housing?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
That is correct. It retains the OEM oil filter housing and I am pretty sure it retains the OEM oil cooler upper housing (not the entire oil cooler housing just the upper part and the oil filter housing).

#6 ·
Wow that looks pretty sweet...is it more or less then the original kt

#21 ·
Woohoo. May make it a viable option in the future for me.

#11 ·
Does this require the cold weather kit at all??

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#12 ·
I would assume with the stock filter and upper housing still being used this kit would be a bit cheaper than the one with the remote filter. But then again you know what happens when you assume something.

#13 ·
Wow! That is awesome!! I love teh look!

#14 ·
Yes for cold climates there is a cold weather thermostat so to speak (again I don't know the specifics quite yet) I didn't have too long to evaluate the kit as I had to leave for work shortly after the package showed up, but there was definitely a thermostat in the kit as well. I will try to get some other pics of it tomorrow possibly.

#15 ·
The last time I spoke with Ken, which was too long ago, he indicated that this kit would be less expensive than the one they currently sell.

And yes, the cold weather kit is still recommended / required for those of you who don't have the common sense to move to a warmer climate. :funny: Although this kit doesn't use a canister style filter, it's still an air to liquid heat exchanger and subject to the same variables as the original.

#16 ·
Interesting kit here, I would like to see how everything fits together.

Between this kit using the stock oil filters, and BPD researching a more effective cooler for the lower geared/heavier trucks - this is becoming a very viable option for my build again.

#18 ·
I might have to talk to Ken about this. I noticed that they moved the 90* fitting for the oil cooler hose from the back of the transfer block to the top. Mine leaks very slowly, but I can't replace it without pulling the intake and EGR cooler out. I think that the o-ring may have twisted when I put it together the first time; tried to tighten it, to no avail :dunno:.

#20 · (Edited)
I'm supose to get mine in today. The word from BPD is that this will retail for around $1,495.

#22 ·
^ still waiting on fedex to bring this guys beta kit.
From what I can tell from the instructions it still uses the same cold weather manifold as the full kit. I'm not sure if they sent me the cold weather option though because I live in the south.
And as mentioned before I was told the target retail price will be 1,495 for the base kit w/o cold weather pakage.

#24 ·
That's not a bad price

#26 ·
Actually Nick the cold weather packs are in fact different between the two kits. The one for my kit (original BPD kit) is a thermostat that mounts to the oil cooler itself. This one has what looks like an "H" for the cold weather thermostat and has 4 lines running to it, 2 from the distribution block and 2 from the condenser mounted oil cooler. I do believe however that they still operate on the same principal though.

#28 ·
Nick this is the original thermostat for the original BPD oil cooler kit cold weather package.

And if you look at the bottom of this picture the piece that looks like an "H" is the cold weather thermostat for the new BPD oil cooler kit.

#30 ·
I should had worded that differently, what I ment to say was I think it works the same with the thermostat ect.

But opposed to mounting on the cooler, the new one is inline with the hoses, and is located next to the passenger battery.

From what I can tell without any parts Infront of me.

#31 ·
my kit still retained the factory oil filter canister, but it is now non-functional. never understood this. why didnt they retain it and still use an external filter? seems double filtration would be a good thing.

new kit looks good though.

#32 ·
Well for oem the filter bypass is in the filter housing, one of the bennifits of the full bpd kit is it uses a new bypass system. The oem housing is retained because the fuel filter is on the same mount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.