Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil Pressure and such

521 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  rdezs 
#1 ·
Okay, my gauges and pod are coming.....and been doing some research on what is the correct oil pressure. The idiot gauge on the dash, as most of us know, only registers that we have 7 psi of pressure. Useless.

At my work, we have several commercial versions of the same engine, and our shop foreman showed me what he had from International. Yes, same oil pressure sending unit for the idiot light. (In the International, it IS for the idiot light. Ford hooked it to a gauge to fake us out!) By the book, it states hot oil pressure should be no less than 15psi at idle. Under no condition, should the engine ever be run under load at less than 40 psi at 2000 rpm. (Ours are close to 200,000 miles, average 35 psi hot idle, and 60-70 psi at 2000 rpm.) International provides a real oil pressure gauge on these trucks.

Now, back to Ford. In an apparent effort to save money, we get an idiot light only. You have no idea what your oil pressure is while you're going down the road at 65 mph. You can have 10 psi and there will be no warning. They even left the pertinent info supplied by International, out of your owners manual....because they didn't give you a way to monitor it! Anyone still wondering now, why rods go through the block with no warning? Apparently at less than 40 psi at 2000 rpm, and things come apart. Too bad the factory setup doesn't give us a way to know the real oil pressure!

This comes back to what everyone says here.....monitor, monitor, monitor. Better get those gauges if you don't have them. The sad part? Is there anyone who would have objected at paying the extra $250 when new, for the real oil pressure gauge?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.