Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

FICM Flash

8K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  ammohog01 
#1 ·
One of the posts on here talked about how the dealer is starting to flash FICM's as well as the ECM's when you take your truck in for repair. If this is true, would this FICM falsh get rid of the Atlas 40 tune that I had installed on it? If so I am going to be pretty pissed off.

#2 ·
yep....it will be gone. Just like mine is. And yes it pissed me off. My advice is if you have a spare FICM to get it fixed and let them flash that one. I hate....HATE.....HATE the latest flash for driving and power, but it starts on the coldest days like its nothing.

#3 ·
It has been done by the dealers forever... the update the computers whenever they recieve the truck in for repair.... Call Bill and tell him the situation... If you bought it from him he might give you a freebie... MIGHT... don't hold me to it but it might be something to try talking with him about:thumb:

#4 ·
can I go after the dealer that worked on it since they never told me that they were going to do this. Plus I have the receipts from Ed at FICMrepair.com showing that I paid for it and he installed it. I knew that they would flash the ECM but I didn't know that they do the FICM too!!

#6 ·
Well we will see how this goes. I am going down there with all the paper work and it probably wont be a friendly encounter. This is the same place that wanted to charge me $400 plus in labor to change my FICM. I didn't know 15 minutes was that much money.

#7 ·
Chalk it up as a bad experience. Just learn here and if possible do the work yourself. I've specifically told my dealer not to hook up anything to the truck. I make them write it on the work order. If it's done I have my evidence for my fight. I have see a plug cover that you can buy that will cover the OBDII port. Just need a secure way to prevent the tech from pulling it off.

#8 ·
^ don't they have to let you know what they r doing to your truck

#13 ·
From what I've heard, no, they don't tell you. I could be wrong, but I thought I heard someone saying they flashed his ficm and ecm when he took his truck in for an oil change.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#9 ·
my dealer called me and said we need to replace your ficm. It is reading 58v.. I said I know don't touch it! he said they aren't supposed to read that high, I then explained that i know he is about to tell me it should be 48v. Gotta love dealers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#10 ·
Hahaha lol :hehe: dumbasses

#12 ·
there are a lot of "dumbasses" out there that have no idea that there is a such thing as 58v ficms and these dumbasses wrench on trucks all day long.

believe me all the techs are probably calling you guys the same thing. :D

#14 ·
Heard plenty, plenty of stories of flashing without permission. And even when they've been told not to do it. That message doesn't always get to the tech doing the work. I'm just hopefully not ever going to go to a dealer.

#15 ·
I am not an experienced mechanic at all when it comes to diesels but when they told me they wanted 400 in labor to change my FICM I told them hell no. I did it myself and it only took me about 15 minutes to get it out and 15 to put it back in. It is ridiculous. Plus I had to have an injector changed this past week and they charged me 700 in labor. I can tell you when the next injector goes I am doing it myself. I am going to go up there today and talk to them. If i don't get any answers then I will go to Ford and make a complaint against the dealer. They just wasted my hard earned money and being on a military salary i am not rich. This is BS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.