6.0 swap... NEED HELP!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 swap... NEED HELP!!

I have a fleet of Ford SD's w/ 6.0 PS motors. We have had our share of issues with them, which is why I just joined this forum... I need some help. I had a late model year 2003 SD with the 6.0 that was rolled and totalled. I kept the motor/trans etc. for later use. That motor was running fine when it was rolled. Recently, I had a 2004 SD w/ 6.0 PS lose compression etc. After much evaluation, all new injectors etc., the dealer determined a new motor was needed for $15K... after only 110K miles (this is one of several dead 6.0's we have). Having the 2003 6.0 on hand, I called two dofferent dealers to determine if the '03 6.0 was the same as the '04 6.0. According to both, every part number they compared from heads to pistons to connecting rods to some accessory gear etc. etc. etc. matched. So, I paid a shop to evaluate the '03 motor and then perform the swap. The engine fires up just fine, but it has absolutely no low-end power... I mena NONE. Once travelling about 30MPH or more, it is fine and has loads of power. It is not throwing any codes or anything, so the shop said that they couldn't figure it out. That shop also said that the 2 engines were NOT direct replacements... that they had to make/modify some wiring harnesses etc. to get everything hooked up (for what its worth, too, I put the '04 trans into the '03 truck as well, if that matters at all, since the trans in the '03 was in much better shape). My question is this: is there a chance that the computer/sensors etc. on the '04 are different and will not properly control the '03 engines sensors etc? Its almost like the turbo will not spool much at all on the low-end and I thought that perhaps since the VV turbo is electronically controlled, that having the '03 computer controlling the '04 engine might be playing into this. At any rate, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty committed to this swap in terms of money spent, so I need to get it figured out. I still have the computer, engine, trans, etc. from both trucks if I need parts from one or the other. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Bump Bump Bump
Old 12-13-2007, 01:06 PM

Need a tech. bump.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to bryan70546 Send a message via Yahoo to bryan70546
thats strange my truck is a 04 but the engine in it is a 03 built , hopefully one of the techs will help you out.good luck with the truck.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Banned

you are correct. there is a difference in the PCM as well as the FICM

the emissions software is also different between 03/04

which wiring harness are you using ???
which PCM are you using ??
which FICM are you using ??

one of these uses an EBP sensor and i believe in 03 they later took that out of the programming, the injectors could be different also so make sure that you are using the PCM, FICM, Wiring harness out of one or the other, but keep them together dont mix and match them , this should help.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for that info LvTitan. That is helpful. The truck is 800 miles away from me right now, but I have my guys looking into some of those questions. From what I was told, they took the engine I brought up to them (the '03, which was complete w/ trans and T-case) and dropped the whole assembly... trand and t-case and all... into the '04 truck. The only items changed out were the alternator (trashed in the roll-over), a valve cover, and one other part that was part of the intercooler system (a coupler). when they did the swap, not all of the harnesses connectors etc. matched up, so they had to splice wires together. I do not know to what extent yet that they chopped things up, but I got the impression that they joined wires that were supposed to be joined. I should have more info soon. Thanks again and any additional thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here is what I was able to find out so far:

The engines and tranmissions were swapped in their entirety. The only mods they made to the harness were supposedly for the glow plug circuit and the oil sending unit to make the '04 truck wiring accept the '03 gear on the '03 engine (physically plug together). None of the injectors, sensors, or other components or parts (other than those listed in my last post) were swapped. So basically, I have a '04 truck / computer etc. controlling a '03 engine / sensors etc.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:12 PM

So when you made the swap did you use all of the control modules on top of the valve covers off of the 03? Or did they swap them for the 04 stuff. If you kept the 03 stuff you should just be able to change the ECM and everything be ok.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by middamiff View Post
Here is what I was able to find out so far:

The engines and tranmissions were swapped in their entirety. The only mods they made to the harness were supposedly for the glow plug circuit and the oil sending unit to make the '04 truck wiring accept the '03 gear on the '03 engine (physically plug together). None of the injectors, sensors, or other components or parts (other than those listed in my last post) were swapped. So basically, I have a '04 truck / computer etc. controlling a '03 engine / sensors etc.
sounds to me like this could be part of the problem. the FICM's are not interchangeable between those years with the PCM's if i remember correctly. not 100% positive, but i'd try to keep the systems as complete as possible in that department
Old 12-14-2007, 05:32 PM

Is your truck maybe starting in 3rd gear? I've put my truck in 3rd before to start and it was pretty much powerless until 30mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.