Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Bypass filter installed.

8K views 71 replies 20 participants last post by  Lilpooh 
#1 ·
My NUC motorsports oil bypass filter arrived today. I ordered their standard one, but they shipped the bonus pack. (Fuel cap to match, OEM filter, local pressure guage, and a sample line). Merry Christmas to me I guess.

Did an oil change with it and went to T6. Hopefully I see significant improvements with cold starts. I'm just waiting on a cold day.

Auto part Engine Vehicle Technology Car

Noticed my sinister coolant filter hoses were cracking/cut. That's why they are just laying there now. Ordering replacements today.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

See less See more
#5 ·
I just bought the truck a few weeks ago. Went and had everything serviced. They put 15/40 in. Then, I joined the forum. (Actually joined a few years ago, but never read anything)... So, anyway, I'm playing catch up. EOT was only 56 this morning when I fired it up. But, it didn't hesitate at all. Went into a smooth idle instantly.

#8 ·
I'm running the same Amsoil filter....and yes, it keeps the oil looking new. No black soot in it.....the filter really does filter it out. First diesel I've seen where the oil stays clean.I'm coming up on 1800 miles from the last oil change, and it's still looking like new oil. I'm impressed.

#9 ·
This is the first time I heard anyone with a 6.0 say their oil stays like honey

I run a FS 2500 3 micron High Efficiency and it still does not do what the ad states it's not Honey you would want to eat LOL

even others with amsoil setups haven't had the expected results

I will look into this thx

#11 ·
I'll pull the dipstick tonight and post a pic for you. I was always skeptical about Amsoil, but have to admit I'm impressed. If it's not raining, I mau even pull a sample from the drain. (Fumoto valve....love it.)

#15 ·
My oil used to be black as coal, I've had my amsoil bypass filter on for a month or two now.....the oil dosnt look new yet, but it visibly cleaner than it was before the filter.

#17 ·
I put new oil in when I installed it. I think I might get a small sample every 1k and compare how it looks. Might be interesting.

#18 ·
Okay....got home this evening, pretty dark out. First pic was in the driveway with a flash, couldn't make much out of it. Can't even see the oil on the dipstick! Stuck the dipstick in 3 more times and brought into the garage. What you see on the blue paper is the actual oil off the dipstick.

I installed the Amsoil filter a week or so after I had changed the oil. Rather than dump all that Rotella T6, I just changed the factory filter and topped off enough to make up for the huge Amsoil filter. My oil was already black after a few hundred miles...I wasn't expecting miracles. The next day, it looked like this, and has for the past 1783 miles. And to think I blew off Amsoil for years as another gimmick.

Also, here is 10 days ago or so, when I was putting my new BD Diesel boots on. It immediately caught my attention....the bit of oil inside the intercooler. I had the old boots off when I did my egr delete and oil cooler a couple weeks before, and the oil in there was normal black. Look closely, it's squeaky clean! This was just 2 or 3 days after installing the Amsoil filter onto an engine with already sooty black oil.

My set up:

#21 ·
I still check the oil daily out of amazement. I dragged one of our mechanics out of the shop at work, he wanted to see this bypass kit I installed.....he pulled the dipstick and just said, "Damn. Never seen anything like this. It should have been black just from your drive to work, if you changed it at home this morning." 2 of our shop's service trucks have the 6.0 in them, and the shop foreman is now ordering 2 kits for those vehicles. He had to come out and verify what we were talking about.....couldn't believe it without seeing it! He felt this would really open the door to the engines going a million miles.

#23 ·
What's people's recommendation on brand and price on an oil bypass kit??

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#24 ·
BPD has a kit that you can put on a stock truck or add it to their remote oil cooler kit. Rich and I have developed an adapter that threads onto their filter base that allows you to run all of the EaBP series filters except for the EaBP120 (has different threads than the other EaBP filters). BPD is now offering these adapters for sale by them selves or you you can buy the adapter with a amsoil filter or you can buy the bypass kit, adapter AND amsoil filter all in one place.

#25 ·
I went with the NUC kit, comes with the filter. Around $300 for the whole thing. Look at their EBay store, they sell it a bit cheaper there. The bracket they have is pretty stout....very nicely done. You can probably put one together yourself for cheaper, sourcing various parts...I just didn't have the time to deal with that. The key is the Amsoil filter obviously. The advantage for me, with the NUC kit was their bracket....which I didn't realize really until I received it.

#26 ·
I got this one too, for the same reasons. Their bracket is long enough you can modify and put your coolant filter on.

#27 ·
I built my own kit, but it till a good bit of tuning and tweaking. If you don't have the time or ability to do so, I recamend buying a kit. The bpd kit (with amsoil filter) is more wallet friendly than the amsoil kit. I don't know the flow rate of the nuk kit, but to use the amsoil filter the flow rate must NOT exceed one quart per minute.

#31 ·
I don't know the flow rate of the nuk kit, but to use the amsoil filter the flow rate must NOT exceed one quart per minute.
Good detail worth mentioning. I noticed when installing the NUC kit, the port that returns oil to the engine has a restriction in it for that reason. I recall looking at it and thinking it was pretty damn small. We're talking about a tiny hole for the oil to go through. A common paperclip wire would be way too big to even come close to fitting in the hole. It must be enough though, as the filter gets hot when the engine warms up. (And it seems to be doing a fantastic job!) I should update my earlier post, as the filter isn't the only aspect that's important here, but the return port has to be restricted so as not to bleed off too much pressure.

#28 ·
Zmann, If you are still running with an egr on your truck, your oil will always stay on the dark side. Just deleting the egr will significantly improve your oil. I just wonder if the bypass filters help with shear problems associated with our trucks. Only a series of oil analysis would answer that question.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#30 ·
Yea, I figured you had too, I was just throwing that out there. I suspect the cleaner oil will not degrade as much, less shear, just a thought. Shear seems to be a bigger problem with our trucks. I'm thinking back to the 7.3, where we are able to run the oil a considerably longer time, no egr's dumping soot in the engine. Heck, i've got a 7.3 with 308k, original injectors, no smoke. I pushed that oil way more than I should have. Of course I would rather see oil analyisis comparisons with and without the oil bypass vs just guessing.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#32 ·
Has anyone used a Racor? I have one, but I have not installed it yet. Very heavy duty and filters down to 1 micron. Working on installing it in front wheel well. Same location as BPD oil filter, in fact, I ordered the bracket and guard from BPD. Not sure I need it, truck is not a daily driver and sits most of the time. Anyone looking for a great kit at a good price?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.