Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

ford extended warranty question

962 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ZIKA 
#1 ·
I posted about possibly buying a 07 6.0 2 wheel dr 250 with 39000 miles.After reading all the horror stories,Imy gut says don't buy.HOWEVER,after hours on the internet ,I came across the possibility of buying an extended warranty .Its costly.$2500 buys 5 yrs and 75000 miles though.SO,if this nice running clean Lariet gives me any of those problems,especially with the heads,I'm thinking I would be covered.Certainly well worth the 2500 investment ,correct??.The rig asking price is $28000.Clean ,and used by middle aged towing a travel trailer here n Fl.Im thinking ,it may be better than buying ,and,then having all the bullit proofing done.At least for now.I tend to baby my equipt. Once again,appreciate all input.

#2 ·
Its a good idea if you have a capable ford dealership nearby with a quality service manager and quality techs. Consult in any nearby diesel shops that may have dealt with dealerships in the area, if not any you might have to go down and talk one on one with the service manager to find out how capable they may be. Not all ford dealerships are created equal and that has aided in the bad rep of the 6.0.

#3 ·
Read the fine print on the warranty. I know of horror stories some do not cover the egr problems! My extended warranty did not.

Gb

#4 ·
Thanks,anyone have some idea as to whether getting a 39000 PSD is EARLY ENOUGH to start fixing her up.This 56 yr old mind is full of crap runnin inside.Buy it ,dont buy it.spend the $$ on bullit proofing as I go ,or forget about it and buy a newer 5.4 150(i'm sure thats like nails on a chalk board for this site,but hell)From what I see ,its priced right,especially havin not offered anything .28000 is the listing price plus tax and 200 dealer fee.OK ,thanks,gotta walk this sorry butt off .Been on computer all day.

#5 ·
Despite the reputation these are awsome trucks. I would buy it and have the egr cooler replaced immediatley with a good coolant flush. Possibly the oil cooler too. That is only bout $1500 for peace of mind. After that just have some way to monitor your various engine temps. Offer 26500 and then you have the money for the preventive maintenance. I have 105k on my 06 that is tuned and i have had no issues. If you take care of her, you will love it.

Gb

#6 ·
Get yourself a monitor, a Scanguage II is about the cheapest. Do the reading here in the stickies about buying a 6.0 and then take it for a test drive to determine the health of the motor. If it checks out good then buy it. After you buy it get yourself a coolant filter and you should be good to go. I would keep your money for the warrenty most of those after market warrenties aren't worth the paper they are written on. If you do buy it make sure you keep up on the maintenance which is very important on these trucks.

#7 ·
Only buy a ford ESP plan .... And as mentioned make sure you have a competent dealer close by. I bulletproofed my truck with ESP paying most of the labor and all stock replacement parts.

Good luck!

Todd

#10 ·
Only buy a ford ESP plan .... And as mentioned make sure you have a competent dealer close by. I bulletproofed my truck with ESP paying most of the labor and all stock replacement parts.

Good luck!

100% Correct! I worked at a dealer for 10 years and have delt with warranty companies for all of them. Ford ESP is the only way to go. Most of the aftermarket warranties have a way denying most claims. My dealer had a $1500.00 limit per repair line withour prior approval. That baiscally means that we had an open check book to fix trucks. Like stated above...Make sure that the dealership is willing to work with you to "fully exploit" your ESP contract. Most do because its all money to them. On the other hand some dont because ESP warranty rates do not pay very well. But if you get the right dealer who knows how and is willing to milk the warranty, it can be good for them and you!

#8 ·
I bought mine at 22k and bought an Aftermarket warranty

I fight every claim /have been to the BBB 3 times and have to save every receipt and keep a maintenance Bible

most times I by upgraded parts and install myself with less hassle and since the AFT war company only pays about 1/2 of what a good mechanic Charges I am better off fixing it myself rather than paying the up charge for a shop of My choice and getting a real mechanic

#9 ·
I bought mine at 22k and bought an Aftermarket warranty

I fight every claim /have been to the BBB 3 times and have to save every receipt and keep a maintenance Bible
Oh man, please don't tell me you have Zurich. That's who my dealer offered. If this was a gasser I wouldn't have got an extended/aftermarket warranty but I wanted to venture into the world of diesel and just don't know that much about them....yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.