Steering Box Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering Box Issues

I have an 06 F250 Super Crew, 6.0. It's lifted 8" with 37" tires. I had some play in the steering so I replaced one of the arms in the front end;forgot the name of it but it was about $200. Lo and Behold the problem was still there. I crawled under the truck while someone moved the steering wheel and found that the play was in the sterring box. I was told by the local Ford dealer, "sorry, it's lifted, we won't warranty it".
I've been down that road before with the whole modified/warranty thing. I F'n hate it.
I believe that I have 2 problems and I want to see if anyone else has seen similar with similar trucks.

Many times when I try to turn the steering wheel while the truck is NOT in motion, it just won't turn. I know that's bad to do but it should still turn. Is that a power steering issue or the big tires? I rather doubt it's the lift or the tires considering I have had 4 other lifted trucks and never had that problem.
I also think that the possible power steering issue may have caused the play in the steering (about1-2 inches at the steering wheel.)
I actually had one "brilliant" service tech at Ford tell me, "there is no excessive play found" when I took it in for service. What a moron!

If any techs or anybody else has some info, I'd appreciate it.
Eddie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you look at the tires when moving the steering wheel how much play is there before the tires move? If holding the wheel at 12:00 position and moving it left and right.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Banned

First thing to do is tighten the pitman arm nut....aftermarket drop pitman arms are netorious for the nut loosening up...ive seen it a TON of times...
Old 12-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Banned

the not turning issue is because of your tires. THe ford pump isnt equipped to handle putting out enough pressure to operate the brakes and the steering at the same time at idle with bigger tires. There is not much you can do about that one though...
Old 12-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Try here
Welcome to AGR Perfomance, Inc.

Or here
Howe Performance Power Steering
Old 01-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
First thing to do is tighten the pitman arm nut....aftermarket drop pitman arms are netorious for the nut loosening up...ive seen it a TON of times...
Been there, done that. Didn't work. We looked underneath at the box and could plainly see that the pitman arm doesn't start moving right away after putting some input into the steering wheel. It appeared the play is in the box.
I'm going to try to tighten the arm again before going further, just in case. Everything else looks good.

As far as the "no steering" is concerned, I now understand that the big tires and weak-*** pump is the problem. That's sad that a "super duty" is weak in steering. I bought the truvk for its strength

"You learn something new everyday" I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.