Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Die Hard Batteries CCA ??

11K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Towerguy 
#1 ·
I bought new batteries for the truck today, Die Hard Advanced Gold, and the guy at the counter said these were rated at 930CCA, that's why I went with them. I get home and pop the hood to write the install date on them with a paint marker and the sticker says 775CCA. :doh: I called them up and he says it may be labeled wrong and he's gonna call Die Hard tomorrow. Is 775CCA okay? Either way I think I'm going to take them back and get at least 850CCA. I've searched the Sears and Die Hard sites and they don't even list the CCA for the Advance Gold group 65 battery. They are listed as a deep cycle battery, not starting battery. The regular Gold is rated for 880CCA (and it's cheaper) and the Platinum is rated for 930 (more expensive). Think the ones I have now are okay or should I go back and exchange them?

#4 ·
#3 · (Edited)
#10 ·
I had the Platinums as well. I did a lot of research before I bought new batteries. The DH platinums are actually rebranded Oddessey batteries. If you dont know anything about Oddessey, they are the cats meow.

The Platinums are expensive batteries but are worth every penny. If you were closer I would sell you mine. It sucks because with my cummins swap I had to use smaller batteries and am now back to using Interstates.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#11 ·
Like you, I did a lot of research on batteries and knew this was yet another thing on the 6.0 where less expensive now could easily mean more expensive (or inconvenient) later.

The Platinum's were rated #1 by Consumer Reports and have a 4 year free replacement warranty (100 month prorated warranty).

#14 ·
If anyone is in the market for new batteries, jump on this. It probably only lasts for another 24 hours.

I switched them out for the Platinum 930CCA.
Good deal. But you know we won't let you off the hook that easy. :hehe:

What happened?

#15 ·
Good deal. But you know we won't let you off the hook that easy. :hehe:

What happened?
They put the wrong ones in. Guy at the counter was telling me about the 930CCA ones and I get home to find out they installed 775CCA ones. I didn't look before I left because it was raining and I had the wife and kids with me. My dumb fault there. :( Still planning on going back to complain to the manager. Of course he wasn't there last night.

#16 ·
Nice glad u went back and got what u paid for

#18 ·
I know this is an older post but getting ready to replace my batteries and looking at Die Hards. I can not find any Die Hards now that are platinum with a 930 cca. Do they still sell this battery. The only DH platinum I can find are marine batteries??

Thx

#23 ·
I went and looked and Sears shows a Platinum for our trucks but it is now rated at 950CCA instead of 930CCA. I was a little concerned when I followed the link near the top of the thread and it came back as no longer available. But after a search it returned a Platinum 950 so I'm guessing new part number is why the old link is dead. I have the Platinums as well, 4 years old this winter and 2 of the past 4 winters were spent in Minnesota or North Dakota. Starts like a champ in 0 degree weather and it's never been plugged in. I will definitely be replacing them with more.

#19 ·
I'm jumping in on this old thread too since my batteries just died. For all you guys recommending the DH Platinum batteries, how did they fit in your battery trays? I took some quick measurements and it looks like the driver's side battery tray is about 1/2' too short.
I liked the 850CCA DH Gold b/c it looks like it will fit better, but they don't carry that battery here in Hawaii. They do stock the Platinums here though... BTW, my truck is an '07.

#21 ·
Costco Batteries

After researching the boards I elected to give the Costco batteries a try. I found that these batteries (Kirkland) are made by Johnson Controls (the thermostat people) who also make the Die Hards, Optima, Interstate, Duralast Walmart and a number of other name brands under private label....The Costco (Kirkland) batteries have 850 CCA and 1000 standby amps. After installation, the truck fired right up. I am interested in seeing how they handle during the winter. :please:

I did have to remove the carrying loop from the battery on the driver's side in order to replace the battery box cover. The passenger's side battery was OK since this uses an insulation blanket around the battery.

#22 ·
I just picked up a pair of motorcraft batteries that are rated at 850CCA for $129 each. My previous batteries were motorcraft 750CCAs and lasted 6 years, so I hope to get another 6 years out of these. The best battery I ever owned was a DH Gold, lasted over 10 years in my old Bronco. I was hoping to get a pair of DH Golds in 850CCAs for my F250, but I couldn't get them in HI and had to settle for the motorcrafts. I think I did ok considering the price and they were a perfect fit (like the previous post, I did have to cut the carrying handle of the driver's side battery).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.