new guy with age old question... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new guy with age old question...

Hey, i've been reading everything on this site i can. First off, i'm new to the diesel world. But i've worked around cars all my life and am currently a helicopter mechanic (for the last 6yrs) with the Marine Corps, so i'm mechanically inclined. But i have a few questions. First one, i'm looking at 2 different ford F250's. option one is a 2002, 7.3, 4x2, crew cab, stbed, 90,000 miles, with a worn drivers seat and console, needs two front tires, asking price 20,000. option two is a 2004, 6.0, 4x4, ext cab, stbed, 92,000 miles, with clean interior, asking price of 24,000. i personally would like to have the four wheel drive, although i don't need it. i do like the crew cab, but the ext cab is fine. my question to you guys is, which is the better deal. and also what do i need to look for specifically in these two trucks. i know the 6.0's have had some bad history, but when you read on the internet, it's always the horror stories you hear about. you don't just make a post saying my truck drove to work fine today, know what i mean? i'm just wondering if you guys and gals can help me out with your infinite knowledge of these 6.0 motors, can you tell me certain areas of the trucks to inspect/look at so i can make a good sound decision.

thanks in advance,

Sgt Bishop

ps sorry for the novel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2007, 12:34 AM
Sparkplugs Not Required

Welcome........I think both of the trucks you are looking at are a tad overpriced. I have a '05 F250 with 90k on her, paid about $25,000 for it in September, so far so good. You can find some pretty good deals out there if you are patient. If you have kids, I'd definitely go for the crew cab. Most guys on here will tell you the 7.3 is bullet proof, but the 6.0 ain't bad either. You just have to be careful of the head gaskets. the '03 and '04 models had some issues in particular, but the '05's and '06's are susceptible as well. If you go with a 6.0, I'd try to stay with one that still has some warranty left (5yr or 100k miles). If you can get the Ford Oasis report, that will tell you what repairs have been done by a Ford shop. Someone on here can get that for you if a dealer won't do it. They are somewhat confidential reports. Good Luck.......
Old 12-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks for the fast reply. those are just the list prices. i've not tried to talk them down, and they don't know i have trade-ins. in your opinion how much do you think they're worth and do you know how i can get the oasis report. i just google search it and couldn't find anything/anysite that i could do it online at.

thanks again,

Sgt Bishop
Old 12-09-2007, 03:01 AM
Banned

some quick tips.... as stated above, you can find better deals than the ones you listed.

look for a 6.0, don't believe all the horror stories, the 6oh is a WAY better motor than the 7.3. the questionable years were 03-04, but i have an 04 and i run it HARD and it's never let me down. 05 and up pretty much had all the bugs worked out, but if you see one that you like, get the VIN number and have an OASIS report done on it and you can see the history of the vehicle in relation to any warranty or dealership work that has been done to it.
dont be scared off just because you see that it's had quite a few things fixed or replaced, there were many "bulletins" and recalls on these trucks and as long as you dont see that it's been in for the SAME repairs multiple times, you should be golden.
like i say, i have an 04 crew cab and i would NOT trade for any of the newer ones this is by FAR the best vehicle i have ever owned, and i've owned many vehicles.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i would say somewhere around 14k and 19k for the other,
Old 12-09-2007, 05:42 AM

i like 7.3 better myself and personally wouldnt buy a 2wd truck you may not need it now but sooner or later youll wish you had 4wd and both those prices are stupid high the one i have now got it 6 months ago with 65000 on it still under warranty new tires and not a single thing wrong with it for 17500 its an 02 crewcab long bed 4wd pass those 2 up and keep looking theres way better deals out there
Old 12-09-2007, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvTitan View Post
some quick tips.... as stated above, you can find better deals than the ones you listed.

look for a 6.0, don't believe all the horror stories, the 6oh is a WAY better motor than the 7.3. the questionable years were 03-04, but i have an 04 and i run it HARD and it's never let me down. 05 and up pretty much had all the bugs worked out, but if you see one that you like, get the VIN number and have an OASIS report done on it and you can see the history of the vehicle in relation to any warranty or dealership work that has been done to it.
dont be scared off just because you see that it's had quite a few things fixed or replaced, there were many "bulletins" and recalls on these trucks and as long as you dont see that it's been in for the SAME repairs multiple times, you should be golden.
like i say, i have an 04 crew cab and i would NOT trade for any of the newer ones this is by FAR the best vehicle i have ever owned, and i've owned many vehicles.
I agree completely. I love the 6.0 and I have had 5 trucks. Its very fast & powerful. I would try and get a crew cab for sure. Otherwise you'll wish you did later. Also, pass on those deal. Remember, with the price of fuel right now, many people are dumping their full size vehicles for something smaller. That means nationally, the full size truck and suv markets are down. Its a buyers market. Pass on those deals and be patient, you'll find something better.
Dave
Old 12-09-2007, 06:00 AM

i have had 2 6.0 run the guts out of both never a problem but i like the 7.3 as well
if u buy a truck that heavy u need 4 wheel drive jmo

Matt
Old 12-09-2007, 09:08 AM

They do seem a bit pricey. When I went looking for a PS last summer, I found two I really liked - an 02 F350 4x4 CC dually with 90k miles for 19, and an 05 F250 ext cab 4x4 with 50k miles for $24k. Both of those were at a Ford dealer that had a big selection of used PS's on the lot. Also found an 01 F350 CC 2wd with 120k miles for $16k.

I was about to buy the 05, when they let me take an 06 King Ranch for a run. Oh darn, if I don't buy this beauty, I'll be thinking about it for the next five years. But I got a great price on it, too - $31k.

If you have kids, definitely get the crew cab if you can. 4WD sure is nice, and it makes the truck easier to sell come time to move on.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks guys. i've found an '05 F350 dually, crwcb, 56,000miles at the same place. it is fully loaded. (i don't know what Ford calls their fully loaded option in 05). they're asking 28,000. i just got off the phone with my friend at the ford dealer and he said he would have me an oasis report tommorow, and that he would take 19,500 for the 04, extcb, 4x4. I'm still looking but in this one redlight town, there's not much to choose from. and 14hr work day's don't leave time for travel. but i really appreciate all you guy's help a lot.

thanks,

Sgt Bishop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.