Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

I'm now a believer that your 6.0 injectors NEED an oil additive!

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Lilfarmrboy 
#1 ·
So, I don't want to sing praises for a single brand. I went with Rev-X, just because a lot of people here have used it with good results. I believe any good friction modifier would do well, and I know a lot of people have had good luck with Archoil AR9100.

First, let me say I do run Rotella T6 5W-40. It did not help my stiction. It was bad.

I bought the truck on a Thursday, and the Friday morning after I cranked it up to drive to work. Keep in mind I had no monitor, and had been driving gassers for years. I noticed it ran like CRAP. It missed hard for 2-3 minutes before it got warmed up a little. When it stopped missing for a minute or two I left, and could feel the missing. I was pretty disheartened in my new truck but I knew it needed to warm up. I left my neighborhood and got to the red light to pull out on the main highway to get to work.

I had a sizeable gap in traffic, one I had never turned down in my gas vehicles making this route. I pulled out, and it was missing so bad and had no power I freaked out. I stomped it, blew a CAC boot. Scared the sh*t out of me. Thought I had blown the motor ha.

Well fast forward a few weeks, and the problem persisted in the mornings. After getting my Banks IQ in I started letting it warm up to 100, which by the time I got to the main highway the temps would be over 120 and the missing would be 98% gone, 100% by the 130's.

So last night I stopped to get the mail, got two bottles of Rev-X. Went home, poured them in the oil. While under the hood I noticed I had a coolant leak where I had tee'd into the return hose for my coolant filter, the clamps they supply for that line are too big anyway. So, I decided I'd take my old 92 Chevy to Home Depot real quick to get some hose clamps that were the right size. Opened the door to it (parked about 50 yards from my 6.0), and the radio was playing. DOH! My radio is hardwired in that truck on a switch, and I hadn't turned it off 5 days ago when I last drove it. Sure enough, no crank. So now I have to jump it off, but to do that I have to move the 6.0. Oh well, whats a little coolant. Pulled it over to it and jumped it off in no time. The 6.0 ran for maybe 2-3 minutes during the whole exercise after putting the Rev-X in.

Now go to this morning, I cranked it...Zero missing!!! ZERO! I let it warm up to 80 ECT...backed up, pulled forward...no missing! Gave it a little throttle...immediately felt the difference! And NO missing!!!

It was a very good morning for me and my 6.0!

The moral of the story is that even if you aren't experiencing bad stiction like I was, you should use something like Rev-X or Archoil AR9100. If it can help injectors as much as it did mine that quickly, then it has to be good for the health and longevity of them.

See less See more
#2 ·
glad you got it all lined out... I've been chasing the same ghosts as you. I put RevX in about 2 weeks ago, new FICM a few days ago (my voltage was low)... I'm waiting on a cold day to see how well it starts. I haven't plugged in in since I got the new FICM, and it starts great, but the EOT hasn't been below 60 yet. I'm not running T6 yet. I have it all there waiting on an oil bypass filter to arive. Then I'll drain everything, get that installed and fill it back up with T6.

I think this truck is going to qualify as a "Hobby" pretty soon...

#3 ·
#5 ·
I just added it. Its only 8 oz total.

#7 ·
I run Rotella T6, and there's currently Rev X in it. I had some stiction issues on cold mornings A couple weeks and no change at all. As the project unfolded, I installed an NUC oil bypass kit with the Amsoil 2 micron filter. The next morning, I noticed immediately there was no stiction. I left it unplugged, started the next morning at 28 degree's....no stiction. Checked the oil, which was black as usual 1000 miles after the last change.....and the oil is so clean, I had to check three times on the dipstick! I'm convinced my injectors are thriving on what simply amounts to as clean oil!

#8 ·
Also keep in mind that it can take some time to do its work. I dont drive my truck on very long trips normally so its working and getting better just takin some time

#15 ·
I absolutely love it. I've always been a bit of a skeptic regarding various automotive claims and products. Amsoil is right up there on that list. However, not having the time to create my own oil bypass from scratch, I went with the NUC one. Construction quality is top notch. The bracket is perfect, and very, very sturdy. No vibration, either. The only issue I had was my Sinister coolant filter I already had installed. The NUC bracket is a bit long, if you just order the oil bypass kit and interfere's with the Sinister location. Having additional room on the NUC bracket, I drilled and tapped the backside of my Sinister filter housing, drilled two mounting holes in the NUC bracket, and it fits like it was made for it. (Pics below.)

I have to say I am 100% impressed with the Amsoil 2 micron filter. I had recently done an oil change, it was already black with soot as usual, so just installed the kit, changed the factory filter, and added enough to compensate for the increased capacity with the Amsoil filter. Literally overnight the oil was clean, no soot, looks like new. It really does filter the soot out. I'm so impressed, I'm getting one for my wife's Dodge neon, my boat with the 5.7 Chevy inboard and one for my '86 VW diesel.

Note the coolant filter placed inboard, closer to the alternator. That filter is much shorter than the Amsoil filter, and it all clears the CAC tube easily.

#10 ·
good to hear! i use rev-x and synthetics... getting a 58V FICM will supposedly help with stiction as well

#11 ·
I definitely need to give Rev-X a try. I've always heard its awesome. Wareagle!!

#12 ·
Okay... I know I'm in a very small group of people when I saw I've noticed NO difference running RevX. I bought their 8oz oil additive and Distance+ additive and have been using both for about a week. I started to get pissed about spending $86 for nothing but figured it's good preventative maintenance for the injectors. Will I buy it again? ehhh.. maybe?

I already run Rotella T6 and used the grey bottle Power Service cetane booster on a regular basis prior to RevX.

Keep in mind I live in the south near Houston, so to us a 'cold start' is anything below 50*F. The coldest I've ever seen my oil temperature is 54* and that was the morning after a 30* night.

#13 ·
I'm in that group.....but hey, it was worth a try, and who knows...it may be of some help even if not noticeable. We've had several mornings between 20 and 30 degree's, and it didn't do anything I could tell. The bypass oil filter, though, made an immediate improvement. I guess it all goes back to the common thing people say, our injectors are very, very sensitive to the oil.

#14 ·
Really? I'm in Birmingham and in the mornings if I turn my key forward the outside temp on the dash and my Trans, EGR, ECT, and EOT temps on my Banks IQ are all within 3-4 degrees.

#16 ·
I've never had that happen on my truck. But then again, the outside temps here are far from consistent. If the overnight low is in the low 30's, it only stays that way for a few hours. As soon as it turns daylight, it warms up fast.

I forgot I did notice my deltas don't seem to get as far apart now as they did before. Prior to this I was running a 9* delta, it hasn't gone above 6* since. Not sure if that's because of the Rev-X or fresh oil though.

#20 ·
Really easy. You just need a drill or a drill press, a vice to hold the Sinister filter head in, placed between 2 pieces of wood so you don't scratch/dent it, and a tap. I went with 3/8th x 16 tpi, Very easy to find the right length bolts at a hardware store, in stainless. Use a 5/16th's drill bit, then tap the threads. I went into the back of the Sinister filter head about an inch. There's plenty or room for depth, though. You can go further with no problem.

#19 ·
I would love some info on that Amsoil setup myself if you don't mind. I used Rev-X from about day one when I got my truck. Had some minor stictation when I got the truck and it cleared up within 2 days of adding Rev-X. As far as a friction modifier goes it must work cause when my internals let loose in my 6.0 and blew a hole in the block the truck ran for 3 more miles until I was able to get to work :hehe: I had a 3 mile oil slick behind me but it kept going. Hopefully I will have her back on the road by summer.

#21 ·
Sort of off topic I guess....sorry OP! here's what i just sent logo88:

Bypass kit
I was about to get it from NUC's web site, then ran across it for a few buck cheaper in their Ebay Store. $295 + shipping.....shipping was about $15.

Ford 6 0 Power Stroke Diesel Standard Bypass Oil Filter Filtration Kit Sale | eBay

You can also check out their other product, about $335, which includes the coolant filter kit as well. (I had bought my Sinister kit earlier, for around $105.)

Ford 6 0 Power Stroke Diesel Standard Bypass Oil Filter Filtration Kit | eBay

It's obviously a better deal to get the second one, if you don't already have a coolant filter installed. adapting whatever current coolant filter you have is easy, though. Plenty of room on the bracket. NUC communicates quickly with questions, also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.