Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Deltas?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  colo_dually 
#1 ·
Can someone please explain to me what delta numbers mean? I'm new to this stuff. Thanks..

#3 ·
Have you looked through the stickies?

The deltas are the difference between the eot (engine oil temp) and the ect (engine coolant temp). If the eot is more than 15* different than the ect under a testing situation then the oil cooler is clogged.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#5 ·
The difference in your heart rate while at a stop light at idle, and at 80 mph flat out uphill with a trailer running a tune, is an example of a delta. 58 beats per minute vs 135 beats per minute. The tunes need to come with a health warning for those over 60, regarding extreme delta's in heart rates when applied.

Back to the subject matter, the difference between the ECT (Engine coolant temperature) and EOT (Engine oil temperature) is an indicator of how well the oil cooler is working. Bad oil coolers will show an oil temp over 10 or 15 degree's hotter than the coolant temp. That's the 'delta.' Completely plugged you'll see 25 degree delta's, sometimes more. In the event your ECT is way hotter than the EOT running down the freeway, you better start looking at a head gasket issue, water pump, radiator, etc. New oil cooler should give you a delta of just a couple degrees at most. If you have the cash for an external aftermarket oil cooler like the BP diesel one, disregard the delta.

#6 ·
The difference in your heart rate while at a stop light at idle, and at 80 mph flat out uphill with a trailer running a tune, is an example of a delta. 58 beats per minute vs 135 beats per minute. The tunes need to come with a health warning for those over 60, regarding extreme delta's in heart rates when applied.

Back to the subject matter, the difference between the ECT (Engine coolant temperature) and EOT (Engine oil temperature) is an indicator of how well the oil cooler is working. Bad oil coolers will show an oil temp over 10 or 15 degree's hotter than the coolant temp. That's the 'delta.' Completely plugged you'll see 25 degree delta's, sometimes more. In the event your ECT is way hotter than the EOT running down the freeway, you better start looking at a head gasket issue, water pump, radiator, etc. New oil cooler should give you a delta of just a couple degrees at most. If you have the cash for an external aftermarket oil cooler like the BP diesel one, disregard the delta.
That must be my problem when I'm towing! I have never had a tune on my trailer. Who's tune are you running? :D

#8 ·
Still in R&D stage, testing a trailer tune. So far, the trailer burns 100% less fuel as a result. Thinking of selling the tune for $10, no programmer even needed!

#9 ·
:bump: :hehe:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.