Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

turbo brake tow tune in snow/ice

665 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  kinnisoj 
#1 ·
Hey everyone

Do any of you guys use tow tunes with the turbo brake feature in the snow and ice this winter? I'm wondering if it helps with the traction when slowing down. Also what is the consensus on how beneficial it is to use the vanes as an exhaust brake?

Thanks.
:icon_ford:

#3 ·
When I got my cdl I was tought to NEVER use the jake brake in low traction conditions. The rear wheels can slide and lose controll.

#5 ·
Thanks guys

#6 ·
I've been driving a truck for several years now. You don't want to use any kind of exhaust brake on slippery surface, especially with a light rear end. Your brakes are anti lock, exhaust brake isn't.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#7 ·
I drove truck on the East coast for a lot of years and was told the same, "never jake in the snow/ice!" But I just about always did. Just had to adjust how you did it. When you were lite be easy with it, knock it down to stage 2 or even 1) But fully loaded in the snow I used full jacobs brake all the time. Watch your rpm's turn off the am/fm and listen to the truck and be ready to roll back on the throttle if it does break loose.
And I hate to even use this for a example but watch the "Ice Road Truckers" which was a good show the first 2 seasons....but listen on their they use the Jacobs brake all the time.
Now in a empty f-250/350 or heck even loaded I dont think Id use the turbo brake system. Comes on too hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.